Matt Crooks opens up

Gary1999RFC

Trying to play players out of their naturally preferred position, in a system peculiar to our manager, is never going to end well for a whole load of players as we've seen this season.

And all this while we are supposed to challenge that other mob for the title.

We're fucked, and will be for some time unless the changes made are huge and immediate. We don't appear to have a vision or a plan for next season.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine Warburton will have told him what he needs to be doing to get games.   Is it work harder?  Is it train better?  Is it be braver?   Is it tackle better?  Is it pass more quickly and intelligently?  Is it improve the work rate?    Is it set the mind to go out there and enjoy the game?  Is it set the mind to be all you can be?   A combination of all of that and maybe more?  Who knows?  Warburton will know because I doubt he would readily accept a player he rated so highly not yet showing what he can do.   Crooks will presumably have talked to Warburton about it too and received advice.

The question then is can he ever do enough to cut it at Ibrox?    If a loan deal helps because its largely a confidence and 'need to be playing games regularly' issue then here's hoping it works out for the best and he returns to Rangers ready to stake a serious claim for a place in the starting line up.   

Just one thing though.  Even if we bring in a few loan players for midfield roles in Jan we are not exactly well placed for cover in the event of suspensions or injuries.    The second half of the season is where it needs to come together for the squad and they achieve a strong second and European football for next season.    Point is, despite his feelings of not being recognised in the street or not getting enough games, would sending him on loan now be a wise move if we found we were too short of cover as the season unfolds.  

I guess Warburton will do his usual and place weight on the needs of the individual player - in this case his need for games to rebuild his confidence.   

Both players from Accrington are struggling Windass plays because of his pace and directness i read when they were signing that Crooks was rated more but hard to tell as Crooks hardly plays and Windass seems to get injured by a gust of wind.

A loan to a lower half Scottish Premiership side wouldn't be a bad thing, have him come back at the end of the season & if there's been no progress then punt him.

Cant really make a judgement on a player who's played around 90 mins of 1st team football in 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

fuck me I got fed up reading that dosh halfway through what Does he want us to do  burst into tears in sympathy shows the mentality we've brought if he's resorted to  whinging in the media rather than try to force his way into the  team..

Gotta love these pish tabloid headlines. Opens up?  What was he? A repressed mass murderer? Is it a deep secret about his sexuality. Did he have to get hypnotised as he suffers stage fright at interviews. Was it his height at school?  Yeah, open up, let it all go...........very fuckin' Freudian. Just "open up" to a tabloid hack man...........they have great healing powers. Usual shite, like a Chinese meal, forgotten a few minutes after you have eaten it.

I don't think he was injured when we signed him on a pre contract. This season is a write off for him . Get a good pre- season under his belt and then we can see if he has the ability . Though from the interview I wonder about his mentality and ability to cope with that side of the game . You have to mentally strong to succeed 

43 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

What...he gets loaned out?

no, his career with us is fucked and frankly, i doubt he'll have any impact at rangers when he comes back

if i'm wrong i'll be overjoyed, however, yet again this high risk signing policy does not work and cannot be relied upon to get us any kind of success.

1 minute ago, Jack The Flipper said:

no, his career with us is fucked and frankly, i doubt he'll have any impact at rangers when he comes back

if i'm wrong i'll be overjoyed, however, yet again this high risk signing policy does not work and cannot be relied upon to get us any kind of success.

I know people say it a lot, but look how many people said that about McKay. Give the guy next season at least, or even the first half. We can't judge him without seeing him play a decent run of games, if he fails to make an impression then maybe think about cutting our losses but as things stand we should wait and see what the guy has to offer in a Rangers jersey, not anyone elses.

2 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

I know people say it a lot, but look how many people said that about McKay. Give the guy next season at least, or even the first half. We can't judge him without seeing him play a decent run of games, if he fails to make an impression then maybe think about cutting our losses but as things stand we should wait and see what the guy has to offer in a Rangers jersey, not anyone elses.

I always supported McKay, I maybe got pissed off at his form dropping, however he was a young player whom has just hit a point when he's lost his confidence. To be fair, Crooks and McKay are different. 

Crooks has not played one good game for us, he's fit and is not making it into the first team.

Like I said, I hope I'm very wrong but no one can convince me that this high risk signing policy Warburton has is going to be good for us. We need to buy quality youngsters whom are not crocked or have something wrong, implement a system which will see us play attacking but sensible football from the ground and eventually have it spread into the first team - which at the same time is successful due to buying decent quality players whom are not past it or again have major problems like Barton did.

We as a fan base judge too quickly and are too negative ( Ibrox noise is a site that springs to mind - fucking hate it), anyway look at Armstrong at Sellick it took him a couple of seasons to come good. Mackay was getting slagged off left right and centre only 2 months ago...

In saying that - halliday was poor against the Germans and with Rossiter not being fit..ever, then you have to worry about the holding mid role, we should maybe give it to a defender and not an ex winger. Or play with a different formation 4231.....There is a guy called Eustace looking to get fit.....:headwall:

On 09/01/2017 at 7:21 AM, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

If he's been fit for two months and can't get into that midfield then there's not really much hope for him here.

He certainly looked off the pace against Hertz, he could be an asset, go, get fit and hit pre season full steam ahead, you never know ?

17 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

What if he plays well for the loan period and a couple of teams offer a few million quid for him? Would the 'high risk' signing policy work in that scenario?

Imagine Rossiter's problems are behind him and we again get a few million quid.

I think the likes of Windass, Crooks, And Rossiter weren't *that* much of a risk FINANCIALLY and we should turn a profit on all , assuming our luck changes. The only way we are going to have money to buy better (and flip them again) is to get these kinds of players for low fees or even nothing and sell them the following season.

If any turn into absolute superstars for us then great, but we are signing players from a financial angle it seems. We may or may not have taken a gamble in terms of their fitness, but I didn't conduct the medical so can't comment.

Incidentally, if someone offered say £500k for Harry I'd take it.

19 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

What if he plays well for the loan period and a couple of teams offer a few million quid for him? Would the 'high risk' signing policy work in that scenario?

I think the likes of Windass, Crooks, And Rossiter weren't *that* much of a risk FINANCIALLY and we should turn a profit on all , assuming our luck changes. The only way we are going to have money to buy better (and flip them again) is to get these kinds of players for low fees or even nothing and sell them the following season.

If any turn into absolute superstars for us then great, but we are signing players from a financial angle it seems. We may or may not have taken a gamble in terms of their fitness, but I didn't conduct the medical so can't comment.

There's no chance teams are going to offer a few million quid for him after a 6 month loan spell 

28 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

There is tons of blind hope in that post, it's all ifs and buts. So far no one has shown anything that suggest they will turn us a profit.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

There is tons of blind hope in that post, it's all ifs and buts. So far no one has shown anything that suggest they will turn us a profit.

Exactly - be as well saying "what if" Celtic lost all their games and we won them all 

it depends how far you want to take it - some folk just find hope in anything while others are calculated and realistic 

On 1/9/2017 at 6:41 AM, cr3_bear said:

Warburton made an arse of it playing him at tynecastle the same way he did with senderos at the piggery . 

I don't think you can just throw on players that haven't played much in big games and expect miracles, unless they are Roy of the Rovers. 

8 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Of course it's all ifs and buts - I can't tell the future. However, like it or not, that is our signing strategy.

There is still every possibility we could make a profit on these guys, that's all I'm saying, whereas some seem more than willing to disregard them as failed signings.

Regarding Crooks, £2m was plucked out the air, but would 500k - £1m be out of the question for a championship side, assuming he regains his form?

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

Of course it's all ifs and buts - I can't tell the future. However, like it or not, that is our signing strategy.

Regarding Crooks, £2m was plucked out the air, but would 500k - £1m be out of the question for a championship side?

Can only go on what I have seen but he looks worse than Halliday and Holt.