Middle to Front Creative Blockage = Few Goals

buster.

1 hour ago, SouthamptonGer said:

It's as clear as day our problem is lack of service. Garner who went to Ipswich has already scored 5 in his first 3 friendlies for Ipswich. Two of which he created on his own and others were crosses in to the box.

I didn't rate him too highly but he got stitched up with the squad he was playing in and didn't stand a chance. 

Garner is shite, remember. The majority of folk on here said it so it must be true. :whistle:

On here when the team plays poorly everyone is shite, or average at best. When we are playing well everyone is worth £6m :lol:

I'm assuming the OP didn't watch the st Johnstone game?

Herrera header palmed onto the post by Mannus, Morelos with a near post header pushed out for a corner by Mannus, Tavernier with an effort outside the box saved down low by Mannus. Not to mention Morelos breaking through and pulling a shot just wide, Waghorn with a chance to square it for a tap in at the back post but opted to sky it.

We created plenty of chances to bury St Johnstone but we just didn't have that ruthless clinical finishing that we need to start producing.

I do feel we need someone at left back that can cross and we definitely need a number 10 to run beyond the forwards (or even a midfielder from deep - Dorrans had a difficult take for a volley that went just over).

So I think when you look at how few goals we have scored in pre-season and Europe it's not like we are just passing the ball aimlessly back and forth and what's also important to note is that we seem much more open to shooting from outside the box (though at the moment the accuracy isn't there).

We do need a better attacking midfield option than Windass, and I'd feel more confident with a goalscorer that's proven at this level. I'd like to see us shift Waghorn, Forrester, Windass and O'Halloran and bring in McLean and Walker; Moult too, maybe. But it will take time for Herrera and Morelos to gel together, and the benefit of some of these closed doors games is they've been playing against the opposition they'll face in the league. 

Mannus is a good keeper - along with Lewis at Aberdeen, he's probably the best in the league besides Gordon and Foderingham - so I'm not overly concerned that he's kept a shut out in the closed doors game. The strength in depth of good attacking options concerns me more than that scoreline. 

So as per the article on the Rangers website today (24/7) (italics below) the Manager is still not worried about the lack of goals being scored and is convinced the 'definition' (his word) will 'arrive' (his word) soon.   It's as obvious as day is from night that there is a goal-scoring problem.    It's obvious he knows it has to be fixed.  He obviously has good confidence that it will be fixed.   Problem is, he's had some good opportunities to set the team up to score match-winning goals but has not yet done so.   He might not feel the need to be stressful about it but the nose and the tail of it is if he doesn't get this fixed in the upcoming league games then he is bound to have a pretty big problem on his hands and with plenty to worry about.    

Arriving, as he puts it, and creating opportunities are one thing - and all very necessary.   But there is a risk he finds himself in the same position as Warburton - loads of possession but not enough goals.    Talk of 'arriving' and of 'definition' and of 'finishing the action' is all very exotic.   The simple need is for enough players in the team to start scoring goals - lots of goals.      

The main point we that we have been struggling with since the beginning of the season is about the definition.  I mean we arrived too much on the left side, we create very good chances, but we don’t score, so that’s the point we need to be focused on. I know that it’s not a problem. The problem is that if you don’t create, if you don’t arrive and if you don’t generate football, but even against a team like Marseille you create a lot of situations and a lot of good situations. So that means you are arriving, you know how to build, you know how to create, you know how to explore. Now, you just need to finish the action and I know that that moment is about to come.  We don’t need to be stressful about it, we just need to keep working on the right direction of course because we know the goals are going to arrive. I’m not worried about that.”

On 7/20/2017 at 1:44 AM, Turnberry18 said:

I said this yesterday, it is the problem area in the team. The defence can be put right, and hopefully it has been, but we do not create goals from midfield, certainly not enough for a club of our stature, and we haven't done so for a long time. Unless we sort that area out, then we will struggle.

Kind of agree, however, some of the lack of a fit-Kranjcar-type, will be offset by goal-scoring midfielders and I expect goals from Pena, Dorrans and Candiedeas.  But, yes we need a more creative midfielder who can open defenses

24 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Kind of agree, however, some of the lack of a fit-Kranjcar-type, will be offset by goal-scoring midfielders and I expect goals from Pena, Dorrans and Candiedeas.  But, yes we need a more creative midfielder who can open defenses

I might have to revise my opinion because of, as you also suggest, the form of Kranjcar in this new look midfield. It appears to doesn't need to cover as much ground in this system, and if the early matches are anything to go by then he may prove to have an important part in this team.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I might have to revise my opinion because of, as you also suggest, the form of Kranjcar in this new look midfield. It appears to doesn't need to cover as much ground in this system, and if the early matches are anything to go by then he may prove to have an important part in this team.

Perhaps he can play and Andy Penman type role, hardly moves but has the ability to open defences, taking out 3 - 5 players, with one pass.  

On 20/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, BlueThunder said:

If we score 3 goals in our next few friendlies we'll be talking about our new striking halcyon days :lol:

I can't understand how pro footballers can be so shit at taking a shot, unpressurised, from outside the box.

I think we overcoach now. Guys like Cooper and Gascoigne were never prolific trainers but did it when it counts. 

Seems we take potential now and try and mould them to play another way instead of encouraging to do it their way which works. Results in players overthinking situations instead of being instinctive etc.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:25 PM, BlueThunder said:

Garner is shite, remember. The majority of folk on here said it so it must be true. :whistle:

On here when the team plays poorly everyone is shite, or average at best. When we are playing well everyone is worth £6m :lol:

Garner scored another goal tonight after coming on at HT in their latest friendly ?.

Another cross in to the box and he got his head on the end of it.

Service, service, service.

14 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

So as per the article on the Rangers website today (24/7) (italics below) the Manager is still not worried about the lack of goals being scored and is convinced the 'definition' (his word) will 'arrive' (his word) soon.   It's as obvious as day is from night that there is a goal-scoring problem.    It's obvious he knows it has to be fixed.  He obviously has good confidence that it will be fixed.   Problem is, he's had some good opportunities to set the team up to score match-winning goals but has not yet done so.   He might not feel the need to be stressful about it but the nose and the tail of it is if he doesn't get this fixed in the upcoming league games then he is bound to have a pretty big problem on his hands and with plenty to worry about.    

Arriving, as he puts it, and creating opportunities are one thing - and all very necessary.   But there is a risk he finds himself in the same position as Warburton - loads of possession but not enough goals.    Talk of 'arriving' and of 'definition' and of 'finishing the action' is all very exotic.   The simple need is for enough players in the team to start scoring goals - lots of goals.      

The main point we that we have been struggling with since the beginning of the season is about the definition.  I mean we arrived too much on the left side, we create very good chances, but we don’t score, so that’s the point we need to be focused on. I know that it’s not a problem. The problem is that if you don’t create, if you don’t arrive and if you don’t generate football, but even against a team like Marseille you create a lot of situations and a lot of good situations. So that means you are arriving, you know how to build, you know how to create, you know how to explore. Now, you just need to finish the action and I know that that moment is about to come.  We don’t need to be stressful about it, we just need to keep working on the right direction of course because we know the goals are going to arrive. I’m not worried about that.”

I don't agree with the manager regards the creation of chances not being a problem. This far into the season, it's as plain as day that it has been, . As we can get fitter, we may be able to play at a higher tempo which would help, as will the likes of Dorrans and Alves coming into the team..... But the bottomline is what happens once the League starts, when it'll be results and not words we'll be talking about.

A big problem that is coming is going to be a general unwillingness to show any kind of patience for the team to be put together and perform. The almost inevitable teething problems will turn into 'crisis time' with a media anxious to help see Pedro off on a plane.

Agree biggest problem last year however  Morales is the solution. 

I say that from a combination of wishful thinking, blind optimism, his record (I know, I know) and a couple of little flashes we have seen of him so far (not a lot to hang your hat on - again I know)  

Just have a feeling when this lad gets his first the flood gates will open. 

It's not always been a lack of chances created. A lot of it has been really poor finishing. Any game with Waghorn up front puts us under pressure as his finishing is abysmal. I don't like slagging off any player but he's like a man down. The best finisher is Kenny Miller from what we know at this stage and he was spending too much time backtracking to cover for inferior players behind him. Maybe he can now get the chance to play in the position he should be playing in and take some of the opportunities when he's playing.

With the introduction of the many new signings, I have a bit more confidence in the team now, compared to only a few weeks ago. We had a defence full of holes, a lightweight midfield and an ineffective forward line (I kept that clean). Now we have a more solid and strong looking defence, same in midfield and they're going to provide more chances for the forwards. I hope we can get Walker soon as I think he's a big part of the jigsaw, He'll be a huge asset to the team IMO.

Got to add that I think Dorrans will excel in midfield and will help to create lots of chances. I'm sure he'll chip in with a few goals over the season too. I'm so pleased we got him. Another home grown player that has delighted me is Jack. I hold my hands up as I knew he was a decent player, I just didn't realise how good a player he is. Watching him closely, he's very assured, looks so comfortable in his role and he looks to have the strong mentality that you need to play for Rangers. We've had many good players in the past that simply melted under the pressure of playing for us and didn't achieve their potential. I think he's going to be here for many years and I also think he's a future captain. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Tbh, I never seen much of Andy myself was very young. Did he have much of a career with us? Was he in the 72 cup winners squad?

He suffered from diabetes and had to have daily injections.  He would have been hated by many RM posters because he believed in letting the ball do all the work, his passing ability and vision was unreal.   Yes he was on the bench for the 72 ECWC final, died quite young at only 51.  Seem to recall him having a pub in Neilston. 

4 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

He suffered from diabetes and had to have daily injections.  He would have been hated by many RM posters because he believed in letting the ball do all the work, his passing ability and vision was unreal.   Yes he was on the bench for the 72 ECWC final, died quite young at only 51.  Seem to recall him having a pub in Neilston. 

I asked you a couple of questions and many thanks for the info bud.

i decided to google him and you're spot on. Also scored a reasonable amount of goals per games ratio. 

51 what age is that to die? Thankfully we seem to live a little longer these days.