Are we still a Scottish Protestant club?

I am an ardent atheist but totally accept the Protestant tradition of Rangers FC, the fact that many fans will be believers and that people such as myself probably fall outside of what is viewed as a traditional Rangers fan. Similarly, the unionism issues are of little interest to me but again I am clear that it is an integral part of our history, identity and culture. I have absolutely no problem with this culture, nor the celebration of it, and if I did I'd have supported a different club.

The only difficulty I have (and it is purely personal) is with the rabidly right wing, conservative politics of many supporters. But that has nothing to do with football and is for me to reconcile.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/25/2017 at 6:08 PM, DeanMK said:

I don't think you could consider a majority of our support to be Protestant anymore. The world has changed a lot over the last few decades in respect to the population of non-religious people. It's taken it's toll on many things, our club included.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just underestimating the amount of people of genuine Protestant faith still within the support but I'd imagine they're in the minority these days.

I thnik in a place like Glasgow there is still a difference between a protestant atheist and a catholic one ... it's partially about where you come from historically which still makes a difference but probably more about the politics that have long since attached themselves to both religions here

2 hours ago, writingranger said:

Phew, that's a question. Origins, traditions, culture. Partly a club, to be a club is partially defined by whom it excludes. In our case, the only people who are excluded are those that choose to support a rival team.

Scotland is, by culture, mostly protestant, but who really believes that stuff? (big topic that involves pre-destination, talking to God, everything you need to know being in the bible, heaven, hell bla!bla!bla!)

For what it's worth I think religious education is an oxymoron and has no place in our civil society.

Being Scottish has changed. Society has changed. Rangers has changed. I have changed. Mostly those changes are for the good.

I recently discovered that the Church of England says Mass and has priests along with Christ on the Cross. Can they really be protestant?

Quick answer to your last question the COE has always been regarded as a church that is not truly Protestant as during the divide in Presbyterianism they chose a different path keeping many of the hocus pocus for want of a better word in their rituals true protestants are non conformers such as the COS and the wee frees etc. The episcopal church are also ones for the watching so to speak in regards to the truly reformed faith but then again each to their own and whatever they choose to believe and follow is up to them. I think the differences in the Protestant faith groups is one of the biggest misinformed part of the whole debate there is quite literally 100s of sub groups of protestants.

9 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Quick answer to your last question the COE has always been regarded as a church that is not truly Protestant as during the divide in Presbyterianism they chose a different path keeping many of the hocus pocus for want of a better word in their rituals true protestants are non conformers such as the COS and the wee frees etc. The episcopal church are also ones for the watching so to speak in regards to the truly reformed faith but then again each to their own and whatever they choose to believe and follow is up to them. I think the differences in the Protestant faith groups is one of the biggest misinformed part of the whole debate there is quite literally 100s of sub groups of protestants.

Some Lutheran worship is very close to the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England. Would you class them as protestants, despite being, ahem, the original protestants?

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Some Lutheran worship is very close to the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England. Would you class them as protestants, despite being, ahem, the original protestants?

We are mostly Lutheran up here in the Faroe Islands, and we definitely class ourselves as Protestants.

Just now, johanhentze said:

We are mostly Lutheran up here in the Faroe Islands, and we definitely class ourselves as Protestants.

Yeah. I mean they do in Sweden too, but the Swedish Lutheran Church is quite catholic in its liturgy. Some of the lutheran churches in Germany that did not merge with Calvinist churches are quite catholic too in their liturgy.

I think its probably more correct to say that some of these churches are perhaps 'protestant' but not 'reformed'.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Using that method of thinking then you would would say the original Protestant was a catholic monk then. My point was simply during the split on Protestantism the COE decided to conform to some of the old rituals . Below is an idea of how diverse the reformation has been.

IMG_4068.thumb.JPG.5312f0d3ff492a81b8432af8df5736b5.JPG

Also u Need to get a wee cough bottle for that wee tickle cough U have there .

2 hours ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

Football and Sport in general has nowt to do with Religion and Politics.

Most well known football rivalries throughout the world are steeped in either politics , religion or class . Us v them , Barca v real , boca v river etc . Also huge amounts of chants which still survive to this day are sung to the tunes of hymns .

so this whole idea that football and politics has never or shouldn't crossed paths is false . The terraces have been used to express views of supporters for generations . 

I follow the club not a religion or group, Protestant is a personal choice which should be respected for what it is, like any other.

Is the club associated with being Protestant? yes without doubt, should it be associated? Well yes it is in our history and will always be there. Should it rule how we act in transfers and business matters then absolutely no!

Our traditions and standards have been eroded over recent years not because of the supporters or the ethos of the club, it has been eroded by lazy arse bastard players who get a fortune in normal terms and then decide to down tools. not to mention the off field cunts and managers of limited ability in the Scottish game.

Yeah all the posts giving it the big youtube high fives for posting marches and songs of years gone by are tiresome at times but easily ignored.

18 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Using that method of thinking then you would would say the original Protestant was a catholic monk then. My point was simply during the split on Protestantism the COE decided to conform to some of the old rituals . Below is an idea of how diverse the reformation has been.

IMG_4068.thumb.JPG.5312f0d3ff492a81b8432af8df5736b5.JPG

Also u Need to get a wee cough bottle for that wee tickle cough U have there .

Some of the Church of England. I mean you do have very strong calvinist based teaching in low church CofE across England. Just as you get a mix of theology and liturgy in broad church and then you have High-Anglicans and then Anglo-Catholics who believe in all catholic doctrines except the supremacy and primacy of the Pope.

I think its broadly correct to say they are all protestants, except perhaps the Anglo-Catholics, but they may or may not be reformed in the calvinistic sense.

Having said that i've met many presbyterians in Australia who don't class themselves as protestants - just 'christians' or 'evangelical christians', even though they are technically protestants in both theology and liturgy.

We are Rangers in all but name now, great memories of a certain age cast off now in the name of progress.

We were an Institution we could relate too in a range of different ways "more than a Team"

We do have an official club chaplain in the good Rev Stuart McQuarrie  this to me would indicate the bond between club and religion,  could be a more ceremonial role but still the Rev McQuarrie is a good bear in my book 

Our club no longer has any official leanings towards the Protestant faith, historically I believe we did. 

On the other hand many of our supporters still have a strong leaning towards the Protestant faith, but many more only embrace the anti-Catholic traditons of our traditional supporters when following and supporting the club, and don't actually follow the Protestant faith.  

Personally I embrace a bit of both, I like the traditions, but would like to be able to keep my ingrained dislike of the Catholic faith seperate from my football, and especially my football team. 

I would gladly pull the Catholic church down, and I would gladly tear the current Scottish political system apart. Even if football and my team did not exist.

Both politics and religion have no influence or bearing on which football team I support, in my mind they are seperate issues.  I am a Rangers fan.

13 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Our club no longer has any official leanings towards the Protestant faith, historically I believe we did. 

On the other hand many of our supporters still have a strong leaning towards the Protestant faith, but many more only embrace the anti-Catholic traditons of our traditional supporters when following and supporting the club, and don't actually follow the Protestant faith.  

Personally I embrace a bit of both, I like the traditions, but would like to be able to keep my ingrained dislike of the Catholic faith seperate from my football, and especially my football team. 

I would gladly pull the Catholic church down, and I would gladly tear the current Scottish political system apart. Even if football and my team did not exist.

Both politics and religion have no influence or bearing on which football team I support, in my mind they are seperate issues.  I am a Rangers fan.

This 100%...