Are we still a Scottish Protestant club?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously hate these retarded threads. It gives handwringers and new agers a chance to get together and say NO .. we are all-inclusive (which we are, but they take such great delight in saying it it's like there's an anti-Protestant undertone in their typing) and the visitors will look in, laugh and get jollies thinking we've lost more of our identity etc.

I want good players at our club - I don't care if they worship a flying spaghetti monster, I just want them to be a good player. Also a fan who's a Catholic's season book money is as good as anyone's season book money including Protestants and Loyalists.

However we are a club (and a majority fan base) with deep Protestant and pro-Unionist roots within Scotland. That's our traditions. Some like to try to deny it or play it down but they look stupid in doing so. Desperate infact.

14 minutes ago, MidSussexBlue said:

What is the minimum number of posts acceptable before you start a fishing expedition ?

47 mate ..... I see you are at 147 ..... due to you probably being a deep thinker ... I'm afraid you have missed the entry period ... the next time you can post a fishing post will be when you reach 1690 posts ... :p:

:UK:

Phew, that's a question. Origins, traditions, culture. Partly a club, to be a club is partially defined by whom it excludes. In our case, the only people who are excluded are those that choose to support a rival team.

Scotland is, by culture, mostly protestant, but who really believes that stuff? (big topic that involves pre-destination, talking to God, everything you need to know being in the bible, heaven, hell bla!bla!bla!)

For what it's worth I think religious education is an oxymoron and has no place in our civil society.

Being Scottish has changed. Society has changed. Rangers has changed. I have changed. Mostly those changes are for the good.

I recently discovered that the Church of England says Mass and has priests along with Christ on the Cross. Can they really be protestant?

2 hours ago, RJMcGregor said:

And you're religion is based upon a 2000 year old book, first written 300 years after the death of Chirst. Meddled with at the Conference of Nicaea. Do you really think the rulers of the time didn't fuck about with the contents of the bible to make the populous easier to manage?

Also how do you deal with the sheer contradictions or unscientific claims in the bible such as a Flat Earth?

Strange how the faithless get so upset by those who have faith.

BTW you've obviously never read it.

2 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Strange how the faithless get so upset by those who have faith.

BTW you've obviously never read it.

I believe in God tbh but I think the bible has some questionable stuff in it.

I wouldn't quote it or use it as an example to try and convince anyone of God.

It amazes me how uptight some non-believers get over religion. The atheists are the biggest bigots going IMO - not Scottish Protestants like the media and society would have you believe.

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

47 mate ..... I see you are at 147 ..... due to you probably being a deep thinker ... I'm afraid you have missed the entry period ... the next time you can post a fishing post will be when you reach 1690 posts ... :p:

:UK:

Maybe I should have started  snooker thread on 147.

1 hour ago, RJMcGregor said:

I am assuming you are stating this as a way to make a point that religion too evolves and so the Christianity of today is not the same as that of 300 years ago.

Agree, and so i would say then if the bible is not to be taken literally and is instead up to interpretation that is subject to change depending upon societies current opinions then why use it as the foundation for morality if you don't take it literally?

Because myths and morals are not literal truths. They don't have to be to give meaning to our lives. 

Bit heavy for bears den this of course. 

1 hour ago, RJMcGregor said:

What did i state that was bigoted or untrue?

It was an obvious attack on the Christian religion  ....whats interesting about your point is you claim how it's almost a certainty that religion has been infiltrated and changed by the powers that be which I agree that is possible  as a means of controlling the public just like they may have also had with science or "scientific evidence" that you are basing your whole argument on ?...maybe a possibility ?. Or are you someone who believes science is right and everything else is Bollocks ....

to try and answer the question with a few questions of my own.

Are Rangers based in Scotland?

Is a Protestant, someone who would protest against the Roman Catholic Church running things or having power or influence over the people who did run things?

Do you need to belive in God to protest against the Roman Catholic Church?

Rangers are Scottish based, thier support would protest against the Roman Catholic Church having power over the people and some believe in God, some don't.

1 hour ago, teddybears1872 said:

I have grew up with quite a few catholic,Muslim, Hindu etc Rangers fans, I would say the vast majority are Prodestant tho.

I think we will be known as a Prodestant club for a few more decades at least.

Fuck sake, you are a disgrice

Only one club in Glasgow was born out of religious sectarianism, and like the pikey cunts they are they stole the idea from hivs.

Rangers were founded by 4 guys who wanted to play football.

We're a Scottish team as we play in Scotland, our fan base historically was made up of those who wouldn't be welcome by the tarriers as they weren't kafflick, in a binary religious divide by default we became a club with a Protestant fan base. The Protestant ethics of hard work ,integrity and decency became ingrained in our clubs ethos and have served us well, but the club itself a protestant club? I dont think so, the divide happened as reaction to the bigotry on the other side of the city.

5 hours ago, RDFM said:

Only one club in Scotland is a religious club and it isn't ours. 

EDIT - So, no.

Actually, THREE clubs were founded in Scotland by Irish Catholics exclusively for their own kind, perhaps they didn't care how they were treated in the baths or showers.  Anyhow those three clubs NOT THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB, introduced the stain of sectarianism into Scottish football driving the Protestant communities in those three cities towards Rangers, Hearts and Dundee respectively.

So sectarianism, the blight on Scottish football was introduced by those escaping another type of blight, rather ironic.  

Those three clubs are Scotland's real shame.

1 hour ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

Football and Sport in general has nowt to do with Religion and Politics.

Religion maybe not so much other than here but football and politics will always be linked, maybe not to the extent it is here but that's not something that's exclusive to us.

I see us as a Scottish club with a proud Protestant history and connections to the PUL community. While the religious side of it is not as relevant as it was it's part of our history and part of the reason we are as big a Club as we are and should always be respected

If you have a problem  with us being protestant and loyalist then you have a fundemental problem with the Club itself imo. I'm all for us being all inclusive but what I can't stand is fans, usually wee hipster types, that don't respect our history as a PUL club. Too many folk with taig pals who believe their overly offended pish.

As I've said in numerous threads like this, if you have a problem with Rangers being an integral part of Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist community then there are plenty of Clubs that don't have that history and you can feel free to support them, but all real bears respect the club and its history 

8This thread is full of ignorant twats who believe taig propaganda 

Being Protestant doesn't mean anti Catholic, at least not in most parts of the world apart from the west of Scotland apparently

I was going to say the taigs are winning the battle but they won a long time ago, Folk can't even be proud of their own religion and culture without being called bigots, their ignorance and desperation to be PC makes me cringe like fuck

I don't think you could consider a majority of our support to be Protestant anymore. The world has changed a lot over the last few decades in respect to the population of non-religious people. It's taken it's toll on many things, our club included.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just underestimating the amount of people of genuine Protestant faith still within the support but I'd imagine they're in the minority these days.