Everything that is wrong with an element of our support today

Virtuoso

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Founded on? I don't know but I know what the foundations are over time and upto today. Which is a strong, quintessential British football club steeped in Protestant tradition (including one big one that might be coming back, but can't say too much about just now on a public forum) and has a majority unionist fanbase. It's a great club in that sense and you don't need to look too far within the halls of Ibrox for the signs of it all.

Of course you can deny that if you wish, but it harps back to my original point about I am allowed to consider people who don't respect what my club to be about as a non-Rangers fan, paradoxically due to the shite they spout. 

Now if you can just get round to criticising the anti-Unionist bigots now ......

Foundations over time? The foundations are the foundations and everything after is just a progression. You said what the club was founded on in your first instance and now you're changing it to how it developed.

Did a large protestant, unionist element attach itself to our club? Of course it did. It's part of our history and no one is denying that, but the club wasn't founded on these principles as far as I know and it's not exclusively for that demographic, no matter how much anyone wants it to be.

I don't give a fuck about anyone's politics in a footballing context, whether they're a staunch unionist or hard-core independence supporter.

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

It is about football, however, the founders appear to like most at the time have had a firm belief in the Judean- Christian values which guided their moral compass.  The fans gravitating towards Protestant Christianity only really transpired when three clubs were set up in Scotland by Irish Catholics for their own kind.  Scottish football then became mired in sectarianism yet conveniently we get the blame for the division.  

Big bad Protestants, even almost 150 years ago, the immigrants have turned the country on its head, yet still, play the downtrodden victim card.  

Well said Sir. Well said.

1 minute ago, SkylineBlue said:

Foundations over time? The foundations are the foundations and everything after is just a progression. You said what the club was founded on in your first instance and now you're changing it to how it developed.

Did a large protestant, unionist element attach itself to our club? Of course it did. It's part of our history and no one is denying that, but the club wasn't founded on these principles as far as I know and it's not exclusively for that demographic, no matter how much anyone wants it to be.

I don't give a fuck about anyone's politics in a footballing context, whether they're a staunch unionist or hard-core independence supporter.

I said foundations of our club. I can see where this going now, you are going to drag me and the debate down by saying foundations mean founded on and I will argue about the current foundations of our club and what the club represents etc.

So let's leave that out. We can come back to it if you want afterwards

But in the meantime (and for the third/fourth time of asking) ... if you would just say something about the anti-unionist bigots such as the OP then that would be great ... in your own time

Just now, SkylineBlue said:

Fixed that for you.

There was no fixing required, you asked a silly question but you knew what he meant. You have even answered it yourself with your reply above, when you mention Protestant and unionist supporters. But you were trying to be a smart arse. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I said foundations of our club. I can see where this going now, you are going to drag me and the debate down by saying foundations mean founded on and I will argue about the current foundations of our club and what the club represents etc.

So let's leave that out. We can come back to it if you want afterwards

But in the meantime (and for the third/fourth time of asking) ... if you would just say something about the anti-unionist bigots such as the OP then that would be great ... in your own time

Well, if we're talking about foundations what else would we talk about other than "founded on"? That seems pretty basic to me.

I've already said I don't care about politics in a footballing context. In a purely political context I think there are horrendous people within the independence movement.

Just now, SkylineBlue said:

Well, if we're talking about foundations what else would we talk about other than "founded on"? That seems pretty basic to me.

I've already said I don't care about politics in a footballing context. In a purely political context I think there are horrendous people within the independence movement.

That's not you having the same go at the anti-Unionist bigots that support the club like you do the other way about.

It's cool if you don't want to do it. I'd have more respect for you if you just said nah I agree with them rather than half-baked rhetoric.

12 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

It is about football, however, the founders appear to like most at the time have had a firm belief in the Judean- Christian values which guided their moral compass.  The fans gravitating towards Protestant Christianity only really transpired when three clubs were set up in Scotland by Irish Catholics for their own kind.  Scottish football then became mired in sectarianism yet conveniently we get the blame for the division.  

Big bad Protestants, even almost 150 years ago, the immigrants have turned the country on its head, yet still, play the downtrodden victim card.  

I agree. They arrived, set up to help the immigrants and were very clear about this. As with all rivals we took the polar opposite view   

The rest as they say is history. 

Religion was very much a huge thing in the late 1800's and naturally those protesting that lot and their support for Irish catholic immigrants gravitated towards supporting Rangers. 

we were never set up to support the PUL community- it grew and developed over time. 

I do not forgive or forget the abuse and death threats I received for simply defending my position in voting no and the reason I voted no was simply because the amount of hatred people in this country had towards Margaret Thatcher sent the alarm bells ringing. They hated her for the claims of deregulation and privatisation, she didn't deregulate but that's besides the point, the fact they hate deregulation was enough for me to vote no because they unfortunately do not understand the fundamental basics of economics.

They are the type of people who are so blind they don't even realise that the FSA (Financial Services Authority) controlled the UK banking regulations between 2001 and 2012 and the FSA handbook was more than 10,500 pages long in regulations, in other words completely clueless as to why the banking crisis occurred. So their support in favour of strong government regulation was an immediate alarm bell to me and their hatred of the private sector was enough for me to vote no.

All I was hearing was about Norway this, Norway that, Norway this, that and the next thing, little do these Scottish nationalists comprehend the majority of the Scandinavian countries all have strong free market principles and therefore strong private sectors, sure they may have the higher tax rates and big welfare states but that was harming their economies just as it is harming Norway. But despite the facts, reason and logic I provided I was getting nothing other than abuse and death threats.

So to be quite frank, I don't show the same level of pride in Scotland as I used to simply because it is incredible how misinformed Scotland has become when it comes to economics and the political history and that is to blame on not just the mainstream media but of course the Scottish government. That's what happens when you place education into the hands of the state and give it a monopoly over the information it feeds people with. 

2 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

There was no fixing required, you asked a silly question but you knew what he meant. You have even answered it yourself with your reply above, when you mention Protestant and unionist supporters. But you were trying to be a smart arse. 

Yeah, sorry for asking about the actual foundations of the club when they were brought up in an argument against me. I should have just allowed him to decide at which point in history the foundations should start.

17 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's not you having the same go at the anti-Unionist bigots that support the club like you do the other way about.

It's cool if you don't want to do it. I'd have more respect for you if you just said nah I agree with them rather than half-baked rhetoric.

What?

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I think folks like to pretend 50k bears at ibrox every second Saturday and those that support from near and far are all staunch Protestant loyalists who voted naw  

It confuses people when they realise we are as broad a church as you will get  defined and united by our football team - exactly how our founding fathers envisaged it would be  

All should be welcome and none shall be denied   

It sure confuses a few on here :cheers:

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I agree. They arrived, set up to help the immigrants and were very clear about this. As with all rivals we took the polar opposite view   

The rest as they say is history. 

Religion was very much a huge thing in the late 1800's and naturally those protesting that lot and their support for Irish catholic immigrants gravitated towards supporting Rangers. 

we were never set up to support the PUL community- it grew and developed over time

Which no-one denies, but this demographic don't get to claim exclusivity on a club that wasn't founded to be exclusive. That's the only point, really.

Religion and politics should not come into question when it comes to supporting Rangers in my honest opinion, so long as anyone truly supports Rangers that is all that matters to me. Like the boy in the boy in the picture from the opening post if he wishes to throw himself under a bus like that, that's his prerogative, but you won't find me doing that.