Rangers Picture Thread

4 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

only goal of the game if i.r.

Scottish first division 4-0, 24.9.1949

Rangers Goal scorers, Rutherford(6), Findlay(43), Waddell (Penalty)(85), Williamson(88)

The Rangers Team

Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Rae, Waddell, Findlay, Williamson, Cox, Rutherford

41323100350_30fc1f2ed6_c.thumb.jpg.fae21cc3b78cdf162969b35a712267d3.jpg

1 hour ago, Don54 said:

Rangers Goal scorers, Rutherford(6), Findlay(43), Waddell (Penalty)(85), Williamson(88)

The Rangers Team

Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Rae, Waddell, Findlay, Williamson, Cox, Rutherford

Those formations still baffle me :lol: 

Sort of stuff I done on PES when I was a wee guy.

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Those formations still baffle me :lol: 

Sort of stuff I done on PES when I was a wee guy.

It reads 2-3-5 but the way my Dad explained it to me is it was a lot more flexible.

He basically told me that by the time he started going to Ibrox in the early 60s it was now really a back three - the full backs played like wider CBs you would see in a back three today, while the Centre Half was really a central CB who marked the opposition Centre Forward. Usually one of the Left Half or the Right Half was more defensive as a ball winner, while one was a bit more of a playmaker, and normally one of the inside forwards was more of an attacking midfielder while the other was more of a striker alongside the Centre Forward. I could be wrong but I think the Iron Curtain side from above was a bit more rigid defensively, the wing halves/half backs were supposedly really defensive.

9 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It reads 2-3-5 but the way my Dad explained it to me is it was a lot more flexible.

He basically told me that by the time he started going to Ibrox in the early 60s it was now really a back three - the full backs played like wider CBs you would see in a back three today, while the Centre Half was really a central CB who marked the opposition Centre Forward. Usually one of the Left Half or the Right Half was more defensive as a ball winner, while one was a bit more of a playmaker, and normally one of the inside forwards was more of an attacking midfielder while the other was more of a striker alongside the Centre Forward. I could be wrong but I think the Iron Curtain side from above was a bit more rigid defensively, the wing halves/half backs were supposedly really defensive.

i was born in 1952 so can't speak of the Iron Curtain team but your dad is spot on with the 1960s set up. Every team played with two wingers so more or less your full backs (2 & 3) stayed back to cover them, Centre half (5) covered the centre forward. Greig (4) was the ball winner and Baxter (6) was the creative one along with maybe McMillan (8) deeper lying inside right while Brand (10) was more attacking inside left supporting Millar (9) Henderson (7) and Wilson (11) would provide further ammunition from the wings. Imagine it maybe more like 4-2-4 with the opposition lined up in similar fashion. Hope this helps

1 hour ago, BobbyS said:

i was born in 1952 so can't speak of the Iron Curtain team but your dad is spot on with the 1960s set up. Every team played with two wingers so more or less your full backs (2 & 3) stayed back to cover them, Centre half (5) covered the centre forward. Greig (4) was the ball winner and Baxter (6) was the creative one along with maybe McMillan (8) deeper lying inside right while Brand (10) was more attacking inside left supporting Millar (9) Henderson (7) and Wilson (11) would provide further ammunition from the wings. Imagine it maybe more like 4-2-4 with the opposition lined up in similar fashion. Hope this helps

I actually ended up watching the 62 and 64 Cup Finals on YouTube after posting this last night out of curiosity and it was interesting to see basically the same players line up in the same positions but their roles being different.

In the 62 Final Shearer and Caldow are much wider, take all the throw ins, and while I wouldn't say attacking, they venture much further forward basically playing a diagonal line between the corner edge of the penalty area to the touchline at half way. In the 64 Final Shearer and Provan sit really deep alongside McKinnon. Baxter and Davis in 62 are much more central, whereas in the 64 Final Baxter and Greig are very much wing halfs playing much wider and come across to take all the throw ins. Henderson and Wilson in 62 play really high up, not quite in line with Millar, but in 64 they are much deeper when receiving the ball.

I assume the above is down to Dundee being a far better team than St Mirren, but its interesting when you hear older players say Symon didn't do tactics at training and it was really down to players to adapt on field, but there's obviously a tactical difference between the two games, something has made them change the way they play.

18 hours ago, Don54 said:

The Rangers Team

billy williamson   or bobby williamson 50 years difference

2 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

billy williamson   or bobby williamson 50 years difference

There's a massive clue in the date as to which Williamson I was referring to.

And it was 32 years and 9 months, 2 weeks and 2 days difference, between the former's last game and the latter's first game for us

20 hours ago, Don54 said: