Moult or Herrera

pcbear

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, trains said:

We cant hack it here at the moment and need to find talent that can perform at the right level within the SPL. Moult is pish if we are comparing him with talent down south or in Europe but currently we cant afford that talent and spending wages on risky journeymen at the tail end of their careers is just not working! we might not like it but we need players like Moult at the moment!

Moult is pish:duh:

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

And by the same token we've seen  it work with guys like Boyd, Thomson, Novo, Naismith, Andrews.

For the money Motherwell wanted for him Moult was a gamble worth taking and less of a gamble than signing a player who had never played outside of Mexico in Herrera for three times the price was too.

It's a telling sign that you need to go back 10 years for success stories for players we've signed from this league.

The standard has dropped considerably since then and we've seen it with the amount of players we've watched struggling after moving here.

We've always signed players in the SPL that actually excel way above the level of their club, some come off, some don't but I think Moult would come off and benefit us very well. 

Moult was available for 500k and we signed a goal every 4-5 game striker from the other side of the world for 1.5. 

Sums us up

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I would take him for any 3 of our players bar with exception of Morales

Totally agree although Morales has to stop going down like a girl at the slightest touch! Its a shit South American trait and refs arent buying it but its costing us possession and chances on goal and he needs to stop!

2 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

How can you judge Herrera when he's hardly had a chance this season?

Moult's a dirty bastard btw who would probably be sent off every week if he played for us.

I judge him on the fact he can’t even get into a shit team. That says it all for me

10 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

He is so pish he took 2/2 of his chances today 

Our whole forward line took 0 out of about 20 

How many did he score against us at Fir Park?

Or are we just forming an opinion on one game now?

That was the first time he's scored in over a month today btw.

3 hours ago, OhW said:

What does Pedro mean when he says he “accept full responsibility?” 

Sounds like a resignation to me. 

he is playing pena and going with one up front, pena is a waste of a jersey, we should be playing with two strikers.  i just wish they would sack this fucking onion in the morning. 

Moult is never going to be a Boyd or a McCoist. 

However, given the outlay and the fact he can score double figures for a Motherwell side who have often struggled, (in hindsight anyway) he would have been a better option than Herrera. 

Far from what we need but still a better option than Herrera for less money. 

11 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

How many did he score against us at Fir Park?

Or are we just forming an opinion on one game now?

That was the first time he's scored in over a month today btw.

Moult's only 25 years old.  His contract runs out at the end of the season so he can be signed on a pre-contract in January.  He's a physical player who battles and that's something our side currently lacks.  Also, Moult has a very good record in Scotland:

-  Last season he scored 15 league goals for Motherwell which put him 4th top -scorer.  Three of those league goals were against celtic.

-  So far this season he's scored five league goals, and has one assist.  He's also scored 6 cup goals (including two against us) which puts him on 11 for the season.

He's been one of the best performing strikers in Scotland for quite some time.  The lad scores regularly and at a team like Rangers where he'll get more chances he could be a 20+ goal a season striker.  Moult and Morelos could be a prolific partnership.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aluko 6 years ago? Some would argue Wallace was a success in his first season with us. You can't ignore important factors like what happened to us in 2012 and just use this 'ten years' ago point as some valid point.

Do agree with your second point, but the scum have shown players can be signed and be successful over the last few seasons, Armstrong being one even if he's very overrated.

Aluko was free. That's a bit different to shelling out 500k on someone who might be good.

The taigs took three players from Dundee United who had all looked the part for them. 2 flopped and one was eventually a success after initially being a flop too. Further emphasising my point that signing players from this league is too much of a gamble now.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Well we could get him on a free next summer...

Ciftci was a flop, but he didn't feature much after failings in the CL qualifiers. Pretty sure he had like a less than 1/3 scoring record for the scum in the league without many starts, you can't expect him to do much when the Thumb was in super scoring form.

Wouldn't class GMS a 'flop' either, signed in Jan made a decent amount of appearances, played often in his first full season, with decent enough productivity return. Got injured  early on last season and didn't return until half way through the season when the scum were in form, was never going to see many starts. So don't agree that it helps your original point.

So take him on a free next summer then. The thread is people complaining about not signing him this summer when he wasn't available for free.

Ciftci had 4 goals in 20 odd appearances in total for them. And going by your logic of saying you can't expect him to start many games with the thumb in good form, Moult wouldn't start many for us either as Morelos has more league goals than him.

GMS was a flop for them. He was signed off the back of a good season for Dundee United where he scored a decent amount of goals for a player in his position and he then scored less than that over a 2 and a half year period for the taigs before he found himself playing for Aberdeen.

There's several other examples I could use of players looking good for smaller teams in this league but looking awful once they sign for us or them but I'd rather not continue to speak about the taigs and I'm still trying to erase the diddies we signed from my memory.

9 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

So take him on a free next summer then. The thread is people complaining about not signing him this summer when he wasn't available for free.

Ciftci had 4 goals in 20 odd appearances in total for them. And going by your logic of saying you can't expect him to start many games with the thumb in good form, Moult wouldn't start many for us either as Morelos has more league goals than him.

GMS was a flop for them. He was signed off the back of a good season for Dundee United where he scored a decent amount of goals for a player in his position and he then scored less than that over a 2 and a half year period for the taigs before he found himself playing for Aberdeen.

There's several other examples I could use of players looking good for smaller teams in this league but looking awful once they sign for us or them but I'd rather not continue to speak about the taigs and I'm still trying to erase the diddies we signed from my memory.

There's also many examples of players coming from smaller SPFL clubs and being successful at one of the old firm teams. 

Edit: ignore this, should of read the whole thread first :lol:

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aluko 6 years ago? Some would argue Wallace was a success in his first season with us. You can't ignore important factors like what happened to us in 2012 and just use this 'ten years' ago point as some valid point.

Do agree with your second point, but the scum have shown players can be signed and be successful over the last few seasons, Armstrong being one even if he's very overrated.

celtic got Griffiths from Wolves on the back of him doing well for Hibs too.

I think it's stupid as fuck when people try and put every player in Scotland who's moved to either us or celtic in the same boat and then attempt to justify how good or bad they might be by using how other players have dealt with the step up.

Every player should be judged on their own merits and IMO Moult's goal record since coming to Scotland, along with the physical presence he offers, means he's worth taking a punt on.