Were we right to sell McKay?

BlueSuedeSambas

His agent was on a podcast talking about the whole lead up to him leaving and he said Forest were willing to pay a lot more for him than they did because they had banked 15 million from selling a player and Warburton & Weir both knew the player well.

I know he blew hot and cold and his lack of heart infuriated people but IMO his talent was clear to see and I think the fact we sold him and have had to rely on Josh Windass as his replacement was shocking management (i know we didn’t get Walker but I’m not convinced he would have been an upgrade either).

We’ve seen this thread a hundred times when players (especially bad ones) leave and do well elsewhere but McKay has 4 goals and 7 assists from 15 games so far for Forrest and I do think we will end up seeing the decision to sell him as cheaply as we did as a massive mistake.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

He wouldn't sign a new contract even after we offered him the chance to be the highest paid player at the club. 

That’s what I remember too but his agent said that wasn’t the case and he made it be known four times that McKay was happy to stay but that’s probably BS too. You never know for sure with these stories. Everybody has their own version of events and they are usually positively skewed to suit the person telling them.

We probably were. I think a lot of it will be agent talk pricing up his own players, but to lose him for £500k was disheartening. One of the things celtic do really well is to get their young guys who are playing well tied down on long contacts and even renew really early so that if their form continues to improve they get a bumper deal for them.

Hopefully that's all things the DoF will be putting processes and procedures in place for so we get better at it in the future.

It’s clear McKay had talent, but 1 or 2 good games in 10 isn’t enough. People slaughtered him on here most weeks.

We offered him a new and improved deal (I won’t pretend to know the details) and he said no. That’s the bottom line.

Sold for peanuts, rather than let go for nothing. 

Will probably be used as another stick to beat PC with, but clear he didn’t want to be here unders Rangers terms. 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

why would the "agent" not try and get the highest fee possible for McKay? seems strange that if Forest would have paid more, that he didn't try and use that to get his client a better deal all round? 

bit stupid if you ask me

More money for himself too. Odd in this new age of agents walking away with massive fees themselves. 

20 minutes ago, B1872 said:

He wouldn't sign a new contract even after we offered him the chance to be the highest paid player at the club. Rather we got money for him than lose him for fuck all tbh!

Did we?

Glad he never signed then, deserved to be no where near being the highest paid.

Would look like a superstar for about 60 minutes in a game then go missing for another 10 games.

The shirt was too big for him, simple as that.

The agent said he wanted to stay but didn't say till when or on what terms.

His form was terrible & he didnt fit the way we played at the time (could be why his form was so poor)

Yes he had to go & we've got to let it go.

We could probably have got a bit more. But we could also have had a player see out his contract, given us 1 good game in 5-10, and left us for nothing. Did we also get a future sell on % which we wouldn't have?

His return there is good, appears to have started well. Maybe the freedom when playing with a club with no pressure and expectation levels suits him. 6 goals in 46 last season is the comparison here.

Time will tell how good he turns out to be. What seems fair to me is that whatever that may be he didn't have it in him for whatever reason to be that player here.

4 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

He's playing well for forest and would have been a far better option than windass on the left, but he obviously wasn't fussed whether he was at Rangers or not. Once players get into that mindset they're aswell moved on.

He's been a sub in 95% of the games he's played for them , which means he's as consistently shite for them as he was for us. Guy was never happy pulling on our shirt , wonder why.........

17 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

If you're asking if out the two well 3 if you include the dig barking caravan owner and windass or McKay then if have mckay everyday if the week 

You alright? This is the worst I have ever seen you spell on here...

2 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

He's been a sub in 95% of the games he's played for them , which means he's as consistently shite for them as he was for us. Guy was never happy pulling on our shirt , wonder why.........

He's started 13 games out of 14.........

Just now, sassaaaa said:

He's had two full 90 minutes in all the time he's been there , subbed all the rest..........

He's started 13 games out if 14.........

He's also been subbed off 9 times :wink:

So your post was incorrect. Naturally 

12 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

I've watched afew of their games and he's started every one mate.