David Bates

Dan Deacon

22 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I'm starting to warm to Bates. His positional sense and reading of the game was excellent tonight, as it was at the Theatre of Screams last month.

He also rarely loses a tackle. Still rough edges of course and the last 8 minutes after the second goal he seemed to lose his way. However, he is definitely part of the plans 

not short of pace either

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, PRW. said:

Quite surprised at the massive, overwhelming, positive reaction to Bates and Martin tonight, yet Aberdeen had chance after chance in the second half.

Doesn't really add up.

The whole team let Aberdeen through us the last 10 mins... cant blame that on the central defence alone ya maddy 

Bates has done a great job for us when called upon.  

3 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Quite surprised at the massive, overwhelming, positive reaction to Bates and Martin tonight, yet Aberdeen had chance after chance in the second half.

Doesn't really add up.

No they didn’t. They literally had a 3 minute spell in the second half where they had three chances. One comes from a poor clearance, one comes from the ball hitting players in the box and fortunately falling to an Aberdeen player and the last comes from a corner. 

Hardly chance after chance

His positional sense was good. His winning of balls in the air was good. A few decent tackles. A few good simple passes into midfield.

Some of those tackles were as a result of his own error/touch. His long ball distribution is very poor. He creates a bit of panic as he often treats the ball like a hot potato.

One ball was perfect for a headed clearance. He ducked out of it and blamed Tav which was mental and could easily have cost a goal. The touch when the ball was blasted in the air and he tried to control it, only for it to bounce 20 yards away off his shin ?.

For me he's getting better, but miles away from what's needed, I'm a little less apprehensive about him being 4th choice but wouldn't offer him a new contract. 

And naw he's no shagged my Mrs.

36 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

They did at times but let’s be honest how many times did Fod have to save us at the end? Not saying all of them were centre halves fault but fair few were.

I’d like us to go and sign a centre half with some pace to play with Martin.

Agree. Aberdeen had 4 or 5 quality chances at the end and a few others throughout the match.  I thought Bates had a few wobbly moments. Don't think he was as good as people are suggestjng.

8 minutes ago, spion kop said:

Some armchair Richard goughs on here ffs, young lad still learning his trade, far from the polished article but he gives it his all, nothing fancy gets the ball and gets rid of it

Govan Rear Richard Gough, thanks.

41 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Only started about 4 games ffs. :pipe:

I'm not a fan, and David Bates will never start in a title winning Rangers side. Far too shakey and doesn't install confidence. Danny Wilson is a much better player and I'm quite annoyed we're letting him go when there are much poorer players in his position at the club.

P.S did he not let us down at Killie when he was rag dolled by Boyd for 90 minutes, no? "Facts"

I said there's no debate.

Fuck sake, can you remember Killmarnocks second goal? Wilson tried to bring the ball down under pressure to play it out and lost possession which led to the ball through for Boyd to score, he should have cleared his lines. Facts.

16 minutes ago, spion kop said:

Some armchair Richard goughs on here ffs, young lad still learning his trade, far from the polished article but he gives it his all, nothing fancy gets the ball and gets rid of it

So he's an inexperienced trier who can improve greatly, and he keeps it simple with a hot potato approach to possession?

Agreed.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

I said there's no debate.

Fuck sake, can you remember Killmarnocks second goal? Wilson tried to bring the ball down under pressure to play it out and lost possession which led to the ball through for Boyd to score, he should have cleared his lines. Facts.

Did ye? Fantastic, yer still goiny get one. 

I remember the entire game at Kilmarnock. Wilson outstretched and had a poor touch, which led to their second, correct. 

Bates awful positioning for the first left Kris Boyd with a tap in, and he was given the run around all afternoon by him.

So the "anytime called upon this season" line, lets give that a rest.

46 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

His positional sense was good. His winning of balls in the air was good. A few decent tackles. A few good simple passes into midfield.

Some of those tackles were as a result of his own error/touch. His long ball distribution is very poor. He creates a bit of panic as he often treats the ball like a hot potato.

One ball was perfect for a headed clearance. He ducked out of it and blamed Tav which was mental and could easily have cost a goal. The touch when the ball was blasted in the air and he tried to control it, only for it to bounce 20 yards away off his shin ?.

For me he's getting better, but miles away from what's needed, I'm a little less apprehensive about him being 4th choice but wouldn't offer him a new contract. 

The only reason I can see for him to blame Tav for the incident you refer to was if he received a shout to leave it from him.  Only Tav and Bates no the answer to that.  Bates will hopefully learn in future to just clear his lines.

1 minute ago, Ibroxholm said:

The only reason I can see for him to blame Tav for the incident you refer to was if he received a shout to leave it from him.  Only Tav and Bates no the answer to that.  Bates will hopefully learn in future to just clear his lines.

I sit West enclosure and certainly heard no shout when often I can. Tav berated him shortly afterwards too which suggests it was Bates decision.

Imo it was just a daft wrong decision which fortunately we got away with.

14 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Did ye? Fantastic, yer still goiny get one. 

I remember the entire game at Kilmarnock. Wilson outstretched and had a poor touch, which led to their second, correct. 

Bates awful positioning for the first left Kris Boyd with a tap in, and he was given the run around all afternoon by him.

So the "anytime called upon this season" line, lets give that a rest.

Nah, let's not give it a rest.

I'm not going to get a debate, it's not up for debate, fact.

Liked the guy from his first game. No messing about. Just clears the ball away. Simple. He has more to his game. I felt the same with Craig More years ago. He had a few blips to start off with but came good soon enough. Bates has just been great from the off. Didn't look nervous, got stuck in and defended well. 

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Second coming of Davie Weir dontcha know.

1 minute ago, PRW. said:

Strange chap.

Defo ginger.

No, that's my mate @Dan Deacon and he can verify my hair colour is not ginger.

Didn't you read the message regarding personal abuse on the forum? It can lead to bans etc.

Just because you hate to admit you are wrong about big Baretsey doesn't mean you have to resort to personal abuse.

1 hour ago, WilliamMunny said:

The whole team let Aberdeen through us the last 10 mins... cant blame that on the central defence alone ya maddy 

Bates has done a great job for us when called upon.  

First half he gets pulled out of position chasing Rooney, doesn't win the ball. The ball bounces and he is beaten to it again, by this time he has left a massive gap in behind which McLean drives in to. Tav has to come across and cover for Bates which leaves Mackay-Steven free out wide, McLean slots it through to him & Fod produces a good save.

Corner second half. Standing in-between McKenna & Rooney, picking up neither of them. Ball drops to McKenna who has a shot, saved by Fod & the rebound drops to Rooney but luckily Tav is switched on and makes a fantastic last gasp tackle to stop them getting the shot away.

Follow up corner, Bates is picking up McKenna who gets near enough a free header at goal as Bates doesn't jump to win the ball. Good save from Fod.

One of their last chances of the game, McLean peels off Martin & Bates, getting in behind them and picks up Shinnies through ball. He plays it right across the 6 yard box. Bates doesn't have a clue if there is a sheep player there he sees Rooney slip infront of him and again he is lucky Tav is switched on and comes inside to stop them scoring.

Tav & Fod saved his arse the night. Knew I wasny seeing things at the game ffs. :lol: Watch the highlights back.

He was good v tarriers & sheep (at Pittodrie) but should be 4th, or even 5th, choice at the very most. Being way overhyped online, as usual, and will be the same folk going mental calling him aw the names under the sun when he has another poor game which ends up costing us.