Tavernier

Clemdog

3 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

1st decent bid and I’d flog him.    We lose so many goals in both full back positions which tells you we need upgrades.  It’s no good going forward if you’ve not the engine to get back, you may aswell be a right winger.

had a really good game but he’ll have about 8 games where hes rotten

Who would you replace him with? How much of any fee do you think we'd be allowed to spend, maybe £500k to replace one of our most effective offensive players?

Also it's not always the responsibility of a full back bombing forward to be back in position when opposing team counters quickly. Usually the midfield and sometimes the centre halves should be providing cover.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Who would you replace him with? How much of any fee do you think we'd be allowed to spend, maybe £500k to replace one of our most effective offensive players?

Also it's not always the responsibility of a full back bombing forward to be back in position when opposing team counters quickly. Usually the midfield and sometimes the centre halves should be providing cover.

People don't seem to understand this on here but really that isn't Tavs problem his problem is letting people running off him and a concentration problem. Still a very good RB for us and we will not replace him with anyone better.

8 minutes ago, Siwel said:

People don't seem to understand this on here but really that isn't Tavs problem his problem is letting people running off him and a concentration problem. Still a very good RB for us and we will not replace him with anyone better.

Yeah I absolutely agree here. Think this is the reason why mccrorie at CDM works so well. If Tav bombs forward then Bates can cover as he has played RB before in his career with mccrorie dropping into the gap at CB. Similar story with DJ and Wilson as he played LB several times for hearts in the championship.

3 minutes ago, Daz-96 said:

Yeah I absolutely agree here. Think this is the reason why mccrorie at CDM works so well. If Tav bombs forward then Bates can cover as he has played RB before in his career with mccrorie dropping into the gap at CB. Similar story with DJ and Wilson as he played LB several times for hearts in the championship.

Would also say Candeias helps because he’s much quicker than Tav and tracks back a lot 

4 hours ago, B1872 said:

I’d offer him a new contract!

Agreed.

I don’t get the whole, we lose goals from full back positions excuse. For anybody who’s played football, especially at a decent leve, they’ll know it’s the CM/CDM/CB’s responsibility to be aware of what positions need covered during a counter attack, especially when our fullbacks are given permission to get forward and provide support during an attack.

Besides, he’d be an absolute nutter to go and join Southampton anyway. They look like they could be going down this season.

44 minutes ago, TheHammer_WATP said:

Agreed.

I don’t get the whole, we lose goals from full back positions excuse. For anybody who’s played football, especially at a decent leve, they’ll know it’s the CM/CDM/CB’s responsibility to be aware of what positions need covered during a counter attack, especially when our fullbacks are given permission to get forward and provide support during an attack.

Besides, he’d be an absolute nutter to go and join Southampton anyway. They look like they could be going down this season.

I've missed this, are Southampton supposed to be after him? If so the lure of PL might be too much, just hope we make them pay 

When Tav has had a bad game it is usually when the team has. But he is an easy scapegoat.

I dont remember a game where we said... that was a good performance but Tav alone was poor (just like we said about Niko there) 

9 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Tavernier never cost 500k to get in the 1st place so if that is the standard then he’ll be quite replaceable.

dont get me wrong, at times he’s brilliant but there’s a lot more times where he’s extremely lax and if it’s true he’s not interested in staying then we should flog him.

as for blaming cb or dm players for goals caused down the flanks that is just nonsense.  All the good attacking full backs get back just as quickly as they get forward.  If the opposition are able to break at speed then we need our defenders to get back as quick as they go forward.    We never let celtic break quickly on Saturday but as we’ve seen before in numerous games the full back areas have been bad as many times as they’ve been good simply because they don’t always track back

44 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Tavernier never cost 500k to get in the 1st place so if that is the standard then he’ll be quite replaceable.

dont get me wrong, at times he’s brilliant but there’s a lot more times where he’s extremely lax and if it’s true he’s not interested in staying then we should flog him.

as for blaming cb or dm players for goals caused down the flanks that is just nonsense.  All the good attacking full backs get back just as quickly as they get forward.  If the opposition are able to break at speed then we need our defenders to get back as quick as they go forward.    We never let celtic break quickly on Saturday but as we’ve seen before in numerous games the full back areas have been bad as many times as they’ve been good simply because they don’t always track back

What are you wittering on about?

Statistically James Tavernier is the most productive fullback in the league. This season he has been excellent for us, aside from a small dip in November. There is absolutely nobody I can think of who we could buy in January for £500k who would immediately come in and produce what he has been producing in terms of assists and all-round play. 

Our fans need to stop judging him based on last season's poor performances. He has developed as a player and kicked on. He is crucial to our team at this moment in time. 

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

What are you wittering on about?

Statistically James Tavernier is the most productive fullback in the league. This season he has been excellent for us, aside from a small dip in November. There is absolutely nobody I can think of who we could buy in January for £500k who would immediately come in and produce what he has been producing in terms of assists and all-round play. 

Our fans need to stop judging him based on last season's poor performances. He has developed as a player and kicked on. He is crucial to our team at this moment in time. 

Well said mate. 

Just now, born a blue nose said:

Well said mate. 

Banging my head against the wall at the number of our fans who want him gone. I don't trust this board at all anymore mate. They'd sell Tavernier and either bring in someone mega cheap (like I said in the transfer forum, someone like Cammy Kerr) or bring in nobody at all and force Murty to play Hodson. :britney:

Our fans will notice when he's gone. 

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Banging my head against the wall at the number of our fans who want him gone. I don't trust this board at all anymore mate. They'd sell Tavernier and either bring in someone mega cheap (like I said in the transfer forum, someone like Cammy Kerr) or bring in nobody at all and force Murty to play Hodson. :britney:

Our fans will notice when he's gone. 

couldn't agree more. I hope they dont see Candeias/Hodson as being on a par with candeias/Tav. Its not

1 hour ago, loyalfollower said:

Anyone that's played football at any level know that a good Dm should cover. 

Cbs should too. The idea is that as one fullback is attacking, the other should ve back and eceryone in the defence moves over one place to make a back three. If both are up the Dm should move back to make a back three. 

It's unrealistic to expect someone to sprint the length of a pitch for 90 mins. It's why teams like Barca, City and Chelsea struggle without decent Dms, even their top fullbacks cant do it for 90 mins.