Steve Clarke

Copland bear

He's a stick on to manage them when Rodgers leaves, which will be come around October/November time when down south will come calling for Rodgers again. Think he is very comfortable at Killie just now so will see him honour his contract until the unwashed come in with the big contract. I don't think he would turn us down though but can't see this board making any sort of sensible decision to appoint him. Murty is here till the end of the season regardless of results.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me the Rangers ship has sailed on going after Clarke.  The DOF and King and whoever else are the decision makers at Ibrox had a long time after sacking Pedro to think about making an approach for Steve Clarke.     The nose and the tail of it is they decided to stick with the experiment of going with an untried, untested, cheap option rookie instead.  Electing to take a big gamble on the immediate and foreseeable football future of Rangers in hoping that Murty turns out to be the real deal as a suitable Rangers manager at least for this season, and maybe yet for a whole lot longer.

Having made that throw of the dice I just do not see the board being even remotely prepared to change their minds.   There would be too much loss of pride for them.  Too much loss of face.  Too much like an admission of failure and of making (yet another) poor managerial decision.   No, imo, they will ride this out at least for this season and see what their roll of the dice produces.   If its no European football for next season and no SC win then my guess is they will just shrug their corporate shoulders, mark it down to a learning experience and keep going with Murty for another season.   After all, after the shambles of a long protracted recruitment to replace Pedro what manager of any sort of quality in his right mind is going to take any approach from the Rangers DOF / board seriously?

Murty is in a no-lose situation.  He has time to learn, time to make mistakes and supposedly learn from them, time to experiment with his team selections, time to get some managerial experience under his belt.   All at the expense of the Support having to endure whatever happens on the pitch and just having to take the results whatever they may be. That is what the board has committed the Club to experience and endure.   But having set their managerial compass there is no way I can see that a board will now suddenly change managerial direction.    We are stuck with having to see how this plays out - at least until the end of the season and very probably beyond.   

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

He’s took 8 points off us and the papes in 4 games. 

Team was a mess before he took over, clearly respected in the game with the likes of Mulumbu willing to come up and play for peanuts.

If we are going down the British route I don’t see anyone better available.

You can see how well he done since taking over there its the best option now.

Clarke has absolutely transformed Killie and done so with next to no money. He has operated at the very highest level and imo would do a great job for Rangers but the timing has to be right. He literally gave Killie the kiss of life and their home form which was disgraceful has turned to winning the last five games which is remarkable. Despite this though the Killie fans have not responded and the home turnout at the tims game yesterday  was yet again nothing short of pathetic. I'd be amazed if he declined the Rangers job at the end of the season and no way can Killie give him the wage rise his heroics would demand. He's ambitious and will want to work with the best players with the top facilities he's been used to and that ain't a plastic park. Rangers should push the boat out and get him in for next season if Murty doesn't dramatically improve our home form.

13 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Clarke has absolutely transformed Killie and done so with next to no money. He has operated at the very highest level and imo would do a great job for Rangers but the timing has to be right. He literally gave Killie the kiss of life and their home form which was disgraceful has turned to winning the last five games which is remarkable. Despite this though the Killie fans have not responded and the home turnout at the tims game yesterday  was yet again nothing short of pathetic. I'd be amazed if he declined the Rangers job at the end of the season and no way can Killie give him the wage rise his heroics would demand. He's ambitious and will want to work with the best players with the top facilities he's been used to and that ain't a plastic park. Rangers should push the boat out and get him in for next season if Murty doesn't dramatically improve our home form.

Agree with most of what you say but why wait?   Murty is doing the boards donkey work and the best he can possibly do, full of respect for Murty but the club always comes first and Clarke must be appointed now not the end of the season when half a dozen clubs want him.

Time for us to wise up and get ahead of the competition for bloody once 

3 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Agree with most of what you say but why wait?   Murty is doing the boards donkey work and the best he can possibly do, full of respect for Murty but the club always comes first and Clarke must be appointed now not the end of the season when half a dozen clubs want him.

Time for us to wise up and get ahead of the competition for bloody once 

Rangers should be prepared for Murty failing and ask Clarkes representatives if he'd consider Rangers , end of season would suit both of us as Clarke will not want to leave Killie on bad terms after they took him off the dole. Meantime Murty gets his chance to prove us all wrong.

29 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Rangers should be prepared for Murty failing and ask Clarkes representatives if he'd consider Rangers , end of season would suit both of us as Clarke will not want to leave Killie on bad terms after they took him off the dole. Meantime Murty gets his chance to prove us all wrong.

Murty has had his chance mate 17points dropped and they points dropped would have took us close or ahead of they obsessed fuckers not saying we would win the league but still not good enough 

His old manager Fitzpatrick said years back that he was a die hard bheast fan who was gutted at being wanted by bheasts but no agreement could be made. This was before he went to Chelsea.

How sad is it that id still actually want this guy before I'd keep Murty. And I would as it would undoubtedly benefit the club.

9 minutes ago, gers31 said:

Murty has had his chance mate 17points dropped and they points dropped would have took us close or ahead of they obsessed fuckers not saying we would win the league but still not good enough 

A big week for Murty as any spilled points v thistle or a shock v Ayr will see him ruled out of job. If he gets through that successfully he'll then need to beat Hertz at home to stay in the running ?so one things for sure , he won't get the job by default, he'll have to earn it. 

7 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

A big week for Murty as any spilled points v thistle or a shock v Ayr will see him ruled out of job. If he gets through that successfully he'll then need to beat Hertz at home to stay in the running ?so one things for sure , he won't get the job by default, he'll have to earn it. 

He isn't already ruled out the job,   He has been put in an impossible position by the board who did not act last May and sack Pedro and start afresh with a new decent manager at the start of the season. 

As much as I like Murty he makes Clarke look like Mourhino 

Even if we could have got Clarke in I'd bet that we would be no better than we are now, the whole club has lost its winning mentality, players, managers, boardroom, the fans are the only thing left at our club that has that winning mentality, until the other parts of our club catch up then we'll stay the same. 

1 minute ago, superallysbears said:

Even if we could have got Clarke in I'd bet that we would be no better than we are now, the whole club has lost its winning mentality, players, managers, boardroom, the fans are the only thing left at our club that has that winning mentality, until the other parts of our club catch up then we'll stay the same. 

Would appointing the right manager not get back that winning mentality? Fail to see your point here to be honest.

To put his performance in context, how many Killie players, apart from Mulumbu, would get in our team? They started the season as a joke retirement home for ex-bluenoses and are now fucking hard to beat. Imagine what he could do with our squad? I wanted him when Warburton got punted and I hoped again when Pedro got fired too. He is the best candidate by the length of Paisley Road West