Where Murty record is compared with his predecessors

The Dude

Interesting stuff dude. During the early part of 9 in a row celtic were a mess. During McLeish and Walter's second stint they were back and neck. We are still coming from behind (I had to get that one in) and still have to build up the momentum. The pattern seems to be that we do really well then stop a couple of clangers in a row then bounce back. The players are definitely struggling at inbox. I don't know about nutty but my instinct is that he will become superb and any manager needs a transfer window. We need a midfield general that will keep us playing solid, swift football even when the opponent breaks up play.

Just now, Bluepeter9 said:

Our budget is higher - our keaguevpisition is higher. Your point? 

You mentioned budgets first as if to imply Murty's record is better than it looks on paper due to not having the same budget as the previous managers on the list had - I'm just pointing out our budget still dwarfes the teams who's beat us with ease at Ibrox this season.

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

.. what has he done? What makes him ‘proven’ 

He's beat us twice. He's also got a better record against celtic than our last 3 managers combined. His turnaround with killie has been hugely impressive. 5 months they've went from bottom to 5th.

We are not getting a proven manager with a history of winning trophies.

Clarke ticks the boxes for me. Experienced, eye for a player, able to get results in Scotland and tactically capable. 

What alternatives do you suggest who is proven? 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

You mentioned budgets first as if to imply Murty's record is better than it looks on paper due to not having the same budget as the previous managers on the list had - I'm just pointing out our budget still dwarfes the teams who's beat us with ease at Ibrox this season.

Nope I mention buget in response to track records - keep up.

also I’m pointing out our budget is doing its job and we are where our budget says we should be ( if budgets was the only argument) 

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Nope I mention buget in response to track records - keep up.

also I’m pointing out our budget is doing its job and we are where our budget says we should be ( if budgets was the only argument) 

I'm keeping up but I don't understand the point you are making because if Aberdeen win their game in hand then they go second (us third) so that's not in line with your argument about our budget doing it's job with Murty in charge.

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He's beat us twice. He's also got a better record against celtic than our last 3 managers combined. His turnaround with killie has been hugely impressive. 5 months they've went from bottom to 5th.

We are not getting a proven manager with a history of winning trophies.

Clarke ticks the boxes for me. Experienced, eye for a player, able to get results in Scotland and tactically capable. 

What alternatives do you suggest who is proven? 

I like Murty - folk keep saying we need a ‘proven’ manager ? If it’s not someone who has won trophies then what? I remember Tommy Wright was ‘in the running’ for the job based on his great work at saints. Now they are poor. Clark is on a good run - hardly makes him ‘proven’ I’d stick. 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I like Murty - folk keep saying we need a ‘proven’ manager ? If it’s not someone who has won trophies then what? I remember Tommy Wright was ‘in the running’ for the job based on his great work at saints. Now they are poor. Clark is on a good run - hardly makes him ‘proven’ I’d stick. 

From what I've seen it is an experienced manager people want not proven.

I think murty has done a solid job since Pedro was sacked. But he's now over seen 5 of our 7 loses at home. 2 of which were teams bottom of the table. Our worst home record since 1914.

He's also not learning from mistakes. How many games have we seen now where he waits far too long to make changes when it's going against us.

I honestly don't think we will ever challange under murty if we stick.

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

he waits far too long to make changes when it's going against us.

I think he waits as long as he does because of how utterly shite the players on the bench are. The only change worth making most games has been bringing on Cummings. Fuck bringing Miller, Halliday, Cardoso or Herrera on for anybody if we can help it. If he had better players lining the bench I think he'd make more subs (and earlier too). 

9 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

I think he waits as long as he does because of how utterly shite the players on the bench are. The only change worth making most games has been bringing on Cummings. Fuck bringing Miller, Halliday, Cardoso or Herrera on for anybody if we can help it. If he had better players lining the bench I think he'd make more subs (and earlier too). 

It's maybe not so much the personell he should change, but the formation - especially the way the midfield is set up because if it's against an organised side or a side with a straight 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 in a couple of instances we look lost. It's shocking in fact and he persists on playing the same way every time.

We sometimes seem like the easiest team in the world to play against. Opposition managers must love coming to Ibrox.

9 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

Not one of the past managers listed above except Murty was a rookie manager when they took over ......  

:UK:

Player-manager Souness. Promoted assistant Smith. 

Might not seem like rookies now, but they were at the time. Rangers have a long track record of being a 'first managerial appointment', often promoted from within. What we have given people is time, and that is a formula that made us the most successful club in the world. 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

It's maybe not so much the personell he should change, but the formation - especially the way the midfield is set up because if it's against an organised side or a side with a straight 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 in a couple of instances we look lost. It's shocking in fact and he persists on playing the same way every time.

We sometimes seem like the easiest team in the world to play against. Opposition managers must love coming to Ibrox.

We are far too predictable. It's like being under Warburton again. Opposition managers know what we are going to do before a ball is even kicked at Ibrox. Its easy to plan against us. We can't seem to breakdown teams who throw men behind the ball.

I get that the options from the bench aren't great. But sticking with the same 11 when it's clearly not working isn't going to help much either. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

We definitely are at this point, we're unbelievably predictable. It's bizarre just how Warburton-esque it is again - especially with Murty giving it the "fine margins" pish in recent interviews.

Really wish McCrorie was back from injury as he'd give us far better options for setting up to handle midfields.

46 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

We are far too predictable. It's like being under Warburton again. Opposition managers know what we are going to do before a ball is even kicked at Ibrox. Its easy to plan against us. We can't seem to breakdown teams who throw men behind the ball.

I get that the options from the bench aren't great. But sticking with the same 11 when it's clearly not working isn't going to help much either. 

Hard to change when the options are so limited but he did that on Saturday doing what everyone wanted; Cummings for Morelos and forced to play two pensioners in central defence because of injuries. Similarly we have arguably 3 first choice midfielders unavailable through injuries.

If you lose to celtic at home when they have 10 men and the next week when you are expecting a big reaction the players put in a pathetic performance like they did on Saturday then it tells me the players aren't inspired by or scared of Murty. 

1 hour ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Not sure we have players capable of unlocking an organised defence.  Away from home there is some space for the wide players to run into.

Two up front at home is probably the answer but can't see how the currently available midfielders could make that work.

Might be worth having a big target man as a plan B I suppose ....

2 hours ago, Supersonic said:

What about Kranjcar against the Bheasts back in December?  Every touch the guy made was a fuck up and he should've been hooked at half-time.  Instead, he was on the pitch for about 80mins.  Pena was averaging a goal a game and was our 3rd top-scorer at that time surely he should've been on sooner?  We were firing balls in to the box that day and if he got on the end of one it could've ended up in the net.  

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

Murty - P30 W19 D2 L9   (4 of the wins were cup games)

Souness - P30 W20 D4 L6   (5 wins were cup games and 4 games were in European competition)

Smith - P30 W20 D3 L7   (4 were cup games and 2 were in Europe)

Advocaat - P30 W18 D8 L4   ( 4 were cup games and 10 were in European competition)

McLeish - P30 W21 D7 L2     (8 were cup games and 2 were in Europe)

After 30 games I make these are the stats.  Still not really a like for like comparison though.

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Player-manager Souness. Promoted assistant Smith. 

Might not seem like rookies now, but they were at the time. Rangers have a long track record of being a 'first managerial appointment', often promoted from within. What we have given people is time, and that is a formula that made us the most successful club in the world. 

A Mr Wilton and a Mr Struth were first managerial appointments promoted from within and they turned out not bad. It's all wind and pish for the now, Murty will be the man until seasons end and then the board will look at it again, so lets not get too aerated at the moment.

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

What about Kranjcar against the Bheasts back in December?  Every touch the guy made was a fuck up and he should've been hooked at half-time.  Instead, he was on the pitch for about 80mins.  Pena was averaging a goal a game and was our 3rd top-scorer at that time surely he should've been on sooner?  We were firing balls in to the box that day and if he got on the end of one it could've ended up in the net.  

What about Niko in December?

In the dozen games leading up to that old firm Pena:

scored 1 goal at home to aberdeen 
played 10 minutes at the most against killie
had a shit half against County and was taken off at half time
had an even more brutal hour away to aberdeen in which he mostly tripped over the ball / his own feet

Yes Niko should never have been on the pitch to start with let alone 80 minutes but come on man! Fucking Pena. Maybe Murty saw a heartless lazy cunt in training and thought fuck putting him in such an important game unless I absolutely have no other choice?