Where Murty record is compared with his predecessors

The Dude

2 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Rangers aren't some sort of apprenticeship course, we have to do what is right by the club even if it may seem harsh on Murty in some ways

Ideally we wouldn't keep changing but needs must, we can't leave someone in place simply for stabilities sake

No we can’t keep someone just for the sake of stability but Murty has done enough to warrant at least a full season to show what he can do - along with the benefit of a summer transfer window 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

We are second - keep up. You assume the sheep will win their game! 

Second until they win their game and hand ... OK so when they go second again, you'll concede your talking pish and your logic is then flawed at that moment in time yeah?

46 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I am also wondering this regarding Nicoll as on the radio in the car home from the game they made a good point (and something I've started to notice myself) that he's very quiet and also when Murty needs advice or wants to discuss something with the dugout, it's always Johansson he turns to instead of Jimmy.

I've a feeling, just a gut feeling, that something "may" not be right there.

I heard that too and it got me thinking about his role.

I’ll be surprised if he’s happy as that’s not the Jimmy Nic we know. 

He should be out his seat giving it big licks. Strange 

20 hours ago, Goosetav said:

Still think he'll go onto be a good manager one day bit we don't have time to develop someone, we need someone who can come in and take us to the next level immediately 

Exactly my viewpoint as well.

He'll go on to be a good manager, imo.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

I am also wondering this regarding Nicoll as on the radio in the car home from the game they made a good point (and something I've started to notice myself) that he's very quiet and also when Murty needs advice or wants to discuss something with the dugout, it's always Johansson he turns to instead of Jimmy.

I've a feeling, just a gut feeling, that something "may" not be right there.

I wonder if Jimmy Nic is too old school for Murty. Murty believes you get the best out of people by being nice and talking instead of shouting and I get the impression Nicoll would kick baws if needed. 

9 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Player-manager Souness. Promoted assistant Smith. 

Might not seem like rookies now, but they were at the time. Rangers have a long track record of being a 'first managerial appointment', often promoted from within. What we have given people is time, and that is a formula that made us the most successful club in the world. 

Fair enough mate ..... but let me explain my view .....

I think the major problem for our erratic results is the differences in man make up ..... in that Souness as a player had that killing instinct along with massive experience and success with Liverpool in all areas of the game which made him far superior to anything in Scotland at the time ..... and as player manager he instilled these attributes amongst the rest of the team and was ruthless in his player choices culminating in his successful record .... so hardly a rookie ..... more like a natural winner.

Smith was assistant manager to McLean at DU and McLean was no slouch in the managerial field .... this "apprenticeship" was nurtured at Rangers under Souness and due to Smith's ability to actually learn from his mentors, had the knock on effect of making him a successful manager .... again hardly a rookie to the game and his success is testament to that.

Murty is a decent youth coach and has a lot to offer in the future ..... developing our youth ..... he has not got the experience or the tactical ability or the man management / motivational skills or the killer instinct that Souness and Smith had ..... this is the difference.

I don't want to be too hard on him and the differences in stature and character between him and the two above may be unfair ..... but my opinion now is that we do not have the time to develop a youth coach .... the main reason being we can't afford to let the scum get anymore titles ..... this is how serious the situation is and I don't lay all the blame on Murty ..... the current board of directors must accept their part in our woeful form and their woeful choices of manager ... they more than Murty are responsible for our unsuccessful record (due mainly to the lack of the type of team and managerial investment required for success) since our return to the premiership.

All these factors must be taken into account and  context, then resolved before we can expect to be successful again ..... and that is the only statistic that matters and we must get to and dig out the root of the problem ....  before we can improve our performances.

:UK:

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Murty said in an interview at the weekend that he didn't need to have a go at, or even tell the players they fucked up as he said they knew.

That IMO is the major part of the problem. There has to be a sort of fear factor (unsure if that's even the right word) but someone who they respect and know they can't walk over and as such run through brickwalls for.

I know I wouldn';t bother about messing up in my line of work if I didn't have to answer to anyone immediately after it.

Can you imagine Walter saying I don't need to say anything to the players? The players would have been too scared to go back to the changing rooms after that display if he was at the helm.

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

No we can’t keep someone just for the sake of stability but Murty has done enough to warrant at least a full season to show what he can do - along with the benefit of a summer transfer window 

How can you say he's done enough when we aren't even guaranteed to finish 2nd yet? 

4 minutes ago, jintybear said:

Can you imagine Walter saying I don't need to say anything to the players? The players would have been too scared to go back to the changing rooms after that display if he was at the helm.

All this new age don’t give negative comments pish. 

21 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Murty has overseen 5 of our 7 loses at ibrox. 2 of which were to teams in the bottom half of the league. Of the 7 loses Advocatt had 2 where at home. 1 of which was in Europe. We have also got to remember the league was much stronger back then. 

As for the manager that fits the bill. IMO he was in the opposition dugout yesterday. Clarke has turned killie round in 5 months. I don't think it would cost much to get him and he's shown he can get the results in scotland. He's beaten both old firm. 

The league may have been stronger but they spent a huge amount of money as well.

The last 2 results have convinced me Murty isn't the man to take us forward. He's steadied the ship, but we lose too many games under him. It would be more forgivable if we had say drawn the last 2 games, but we've been miles off in both matches.

The fact the dhims dropped points yesterday is an even bigger kick in the teeth. We should be going into the last 8 games of the season within touching distance of them and with a real shout of winning 55, instead we're miles off and battling for 2nd.

4 minutes ago, OhW said:

What do you mean by reactionary?

Was wondering that myself. Surely it's better to be that way and judge a manager AFTER a run of results than just consider him a good or bad manager pre-emptively before he's done anything with us? 

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Second until they win their game and hand ... OK so when they go second again, you'll concede your talking pish and your logic is then flawed at that moment in time yeah?

No I’ll wait till the end of the season and not some transient moment.

in fact did you not start a thread a few weeks ago about waiting till end of season and assessing then? 

3 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

No I’ll wait till the end of the season and not some transient moment.

in fact did you not start a thread a few weeks ago about waiting till end of season and assessing then? 

I didn't start a thread on it no.

I wouldn't give him the job on a permanent basis because his record isn't good enough, he's fucked it - but I'm still content to let him have the season as agreed as I don't think anyone else would be a massive benefit to us at this moment when there's only about 8 league games left anyway but he can't be given the job on a full-time basis now. Before the celtic game I would have considered it but not now.

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Murty said in an interview at the weekend that he didn't need to have a go at, or even tell the players they fucked up as he said they knew.

That IMO is the major part of the problem. There has to be a sort of fear factor (unsure if that's even the right word) but someone who they respect and know they can't walk over and as such run through brickwalls for.

I know I wouldn';t bother about messing up in my line of work if I didn't have to answer to anyone immediately after it.

Agreed, I think all Rangers managers should be furnished with an 8 inch blade. Any new player should be made aware of this during their induction. 

Play or die should be a simple idea even for our non-English speaking players to grasp.

can just imagine dalcio’s face during training as Murty try’s a few practice thrusts with his 8 incher (knife)

felt I had to clarify