Would Allan McGregor be an improvement on Wes Foderingham?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:11, Brian Fantana said:

McGregor is a better keeper but he can get to fuck.

foderingham is fucking awful and needs to go.

so find someone else and bring them in.

FY Fantana beat me to it, thats what I wanted to say 

On 20/03/2018 at 12:09, The Dude said:

I’m not sure if he’d be a replacement but we do need someone to provide better competition for Foderingham. 

Personally, I wouldn’t have McGregor anywhere near Ibrox again (a different conversation) but we do need a second good keeper to push Foderingham on.

I think Wes is as good as he's going to get unfortunately. 

I rate , even at 36 , McGregor higher in every aspect . He's better than anyone else at the club . 

I'm still undecided whether to go for him or not - his manner of departure still rankles and despite everyone saying 36 isn't old for a goalie , you just have to see how many 36 year old goalies there are out there to see that's not necessarily true . 

I definitely think we need a goalie and , ideally, one a lot younger that has already established himself , but they don't come cheap though , which ultimately , may well see the return of McGregor . 

Replacing Wes, yes. He's had 3 seasons now to convince me he's good enough and hasn't despite making some great saves along the way. 

Replacing him with Mcgregor, absolutely fucking not. Another horrible Judas rat bastard who isn't quite as bad as Naismith but runs him pretty fucking close. A career ending injury before this season is over would suit me just fine. The eagerness of our fans to look backwards always amazes me, especially when it's to cunts like Mcgregor. 

Foderingham is never a Rangers keeper in a million years and needs replacing urgently as a matter of priority.

That is so obvious to me I'm truely surprised it's even up for debate. His shortcomings are right up there as glaring as our other defensive woes. In fact I'd go as far as to say big Wes is indicative of the kind of mediocrity we've been forced to endure. 

Should we replace him with Alan McGregor .............. Absolutely not! 

On 20/03/2018 at 11:54, K.A.I said:

IMO no. Wes weakness is the long range shots. His positioning is awful for them. McCgregor was exactly the same and he's not the same goalkeeper as he was. He peaked with us before he left.

I'd just play Alnwick until the end of the season and see what's what in the summer.

I would have agreed with that last sentence until I seen Alnwick’s distribution on Sunday. Bomb scare 

also if we we looking to maybe cash in on Wes then dropping him only lowers his value

However, in the final analysis a better keeper is required. 

15 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

We need a keeper who is as good as Gordon at the beggars...McGregor could be that keeper but only on the short term . Can't think of any top keeper we could afford to be honest.

We had Gordon - we also had crooks running us at the same time unforunately 

3 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I would have agreed with that last sentence until I seen Alnwick’s distribution on Sunday. Bomb scare 

also if we we looking to maybe cash in on Wes then dropping him only lowers his value

However, in the final analysis a better keeper is required. 

Why do keepers always take that extra touch. 

If I was manager I would be telling them to always smack it as far as they can 1st time. 

He is marginally better than fod, we do need a new number 1, we have limited funds to spend and I think signing him on a free gives us more scope to spend money on two proper centre backs which we desperately need if we are to stand any chance of improving, this must be our top priority imo. 

On 20/03/2018 at 12:39, DBBTB said:

Carson would probably be pretty expensive. celtic offered £400,000 for him in january and that was turned down.

If we are going to be working with a fairly limited budget that requires us to be shrewd I think somebody like McGlaughlin from Hearts would be a better signing purely because it would leave money for other areas too.

I get where you are coming from with the budget. Carson would have more of an upfront cost than frees however his wages would be much less than McGregors. Even at 30 he would also have a sell on.

McGregor of 2012 miles better and Fod btw, miles and fucking miles.  The guy was our best goalkeeper since Klos.  You had could always rely on him, penalties, one on ones, long shots.  Maybe his weakness was crosses but he always made up for it elsewhere.  But as I said in the post above, he is a rat.  Fuck him. 

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:53, DBBTB said:

These sort of threads usually end with people moaning about living in the past and I know we’ve been over it already with Lafferty, Naismith & Davis but I think it’s a topic that can generate a decent discussion.

There are still a lot of people who question Foderingham’s capability to be our number 1 long term and think we need a better keeper if we want to win the league so if we do decide to look for a new keeper should we be looking at McGregor?

He’s kept Marshall (who cost Hull 5 million less than two years ago) out of the Hull side this season, he’s still playing international football and he’s out of contract in the Summer and has said he would “potentially” be open to the idea of coming back up the road.

On top of that you have the usual about knowing the club, having that winnng mentality and knowing what it takes having been the course before and so on.

The one obvious drawback (aside from him being one of the players who refused to TUPE in 2012) is that he’s 36 now but at the same time plenty of keepers seem to be able to play until they are close to 40 now so if everything went well we could get a few years service out of him yet.

Is a move for McGrgeor something that you think we should consider this Summer?

Imo  . Any keeper would be a improvement on Fod . Anyone................

For a start . We might actually stop losing so many big games with him in goals with few additions clearly

10 minutes ago, GOAT said:

McGregor of 2012 miles better and Fod btw, miles and fucking miles.  The guy was our best goalkeeper since Klos.  You had could always rely on him, penalties, one on ones, long shots.  Maybe his weakness was crosses but he always made up for it elsewhere.  But as I said in the post above, he is a rat.  Fuck him. 

I think you being the big empathetic guy you are Goat .

You would forgive him . Your spot on about the rest though