Glenn Hoddle

MrMckee

Just now, backup said:

When did England start insisting their managers had any ability ?

If they see what's happened to us with absolute duds then they will soon realise why you need a manager with ability. Hoddle I believe did well as a manager until he made that random daft comment.

5 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

If they see what's happened to us with absolute duds then they will soon realise why you need a manager with ability. Hoddle I believe did well as a manager until he made that random daft comment.

knock yourself out, he was a roaring success ! 

hoddle.PNG

7 minutes ago, backup said:

knock yourself out, he was a roaring success ! 

hoddle.PNG

Swindon Town

The 36-year-old Hoddle was one of the most highly rated young managers in England and many bigger clubs were demanding his services. Just days after guiding Swindon to promotion, he accepted the offer to manage Chelsea 

Chelsea

Chelsea reached the semi-finals of that competition in 1994–95 and lost by a single goal to Real Zaragoza, who went on to beat Arsenal in the final. Hoddle guided Chelsea to the FA Cup Semi-finals in 1995–96,

England

Hoddle's time in charge of the national team was, sometime later, praised by Harry Redknapp who believed him to have been the "perfect man for the job".[19]Hoddle's 60% win rate during his spell as manager is only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey and Fabio Capello [20]

Southampton

Hoddle kept the Saints in the Premier League against all odds but left acrimoniously in March 2001 to return to Tottenham as manager. Southampton were on course for a 10th-place finish – their highest since 1995 – when Hoddle left.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs began the 2002–03 season in fine form and Hoddle was named Premiership league manager of the month.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I'll probably get laughed at but I'd take him over a Tommy Wright, Steve McLaren, Robinson, Murty, that sacked Ajax cunt or some other names.

Maybe been out the managerial game too long but if you listen to him on the panels he knows more about football, play, positions, tactics than the majority of people have forgot. In saying that, I always thought Steve Claridge and Paul Walsh talked a good game on Your On Sky Sports but that wouldn't make them a good Rangers manager.

Maybe we can get Eileen too?

30 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Swindon Town

The 36-year-old Hoddle was one of the most highly rated young managers in England and many bigger clubs were demanding his services. Just days after guiding Swindon to promotion, he accepted the offer to manage Chelsea 

Chelsea

Chelsea reached the semi-finals of that competition in 1994–95 and lost by a single goal to Real Zaragoza, who went on to beat Arsenal in the final. Hoddle guided Chelsea to the FA Cup Semi-finals in 1995–96,

England

Hoddle's time in charge of the national team was, sometime later, praised by Harry Redknapp who believed him to have been the "perfect man for the job".[19]Hoddle's 60% win rate during his spell as manager is only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey and Fabio Capello [20]

Southampton

Hoddle kept the Saints in the Premier League against all odds but left acrimoniously in March 2001 to return to Tottenham as manager. Southampton were on course for a 10th-place finish – their highest since 1995 – when Hoddle left.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs began the 2002–03 season in fine form and Hoddle was named Premiership league manager of the month.

As I said a roaring success... not, also nowhere good enough or entitled to manage The Rangers.

2 minutes ago, backup said:

As I said a roaring success... not, also nowhere good enough or entitled to manage The Rangers.

Might agree with the entitled part due to the time he's been out and his daft comment but just now I think he is the best that's been mentioned.

If he wants to come to try to re-establish his reputation that got some decent praises then he might be what we're looking for, the board better make sure they know his reasoning for wanting to come back into management.

Pretty sure a few folk down south were mentioning him for the England job again before Southgate got it.

Does he not run some sort of academy for players that have been let go by clubs n tries to get them signed up elsewhere? Im sure that Anya was a graduate from it.

Always thought he was a great manager, sure some of his former players still call him gaffer.  But the comments regarding handicap people are unforgivable and he would fold with the anti Rangers media up here.

5 year deal

10 minutes ago, showtime69 said:

Pretty sure a few folk down south were mentioning him for the England job again before Southgate got it.

Does he not run some sort of academy for players that have been let go by clubs n tries to get them signed up elsewhere? Im sure that Anya was a graduate from it.

The Glenn Hoddle Academy is in Spain, Anya did come through it and I think a fair few others ended up in the lower leagues, I don't know if it is still on the go though.

21 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Heard this too.

My personal favourite along those lines was I think it was at Getafe that the players fell out with Michael Laudrup cause he used to run rings around them in training about 6/7 years after he retired ? 

The Independent reported that the same thing happened with FDB at Crystal Palace too.

“The former Ajax and Inter boss was made aware of cliques in the squad who had been upset by him playing in training, something that baffled De Boer as, if anything, professionals should be motivated at being shown up by a retiree more than 10 years their senior in many cases rather than threatened by it."

:lol:

21 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Heard this too.

My personal favourite along those lines was I think it was at Getafe that the players fell out with Michael Laudrup cause he used to run rings around them in training about 6/7 years after he retired ? 

thats was also an issue with hoddle - in training he used to do things with the ball that the players under him simply couldnt do - and they seen it as him taking the piss. i think i seen a youtube video of him recently taking free kicks with a player - and hoddle banged them in every time and the player was all over the place.

20 hours ago, Howsitgoing said:

The teams they were playing against had the likes of Figo and Zidane, it's all relevant. Lego and thumb are far from the ability of the players you mentioned. He must of done well in club football beforehand.

*have, for fuck sake, have.

19 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Dexy's Midnight Runners would be better than the Blue Sea Of Ibrox or Andy Cameron style pish on the Tannoys at Ibrox I suppose

19 hours ago, Malvern said:

I was talking of Drurie or whatever the hell the mental health bint was.

:rofl:

6 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

thats was also an issue with hoddle - in training he used to do things with the ball that the players under him simply couldnt do - and they seen it as him taking the piss. i think i seen a youtube video of him recently taking free kicks with a player - and hoddle banged them in every time and the player was all over the place.

http://economicsnetwork.ac.uk/showcase/mcmahon_coaching.htm

"There is a story, perhaps a fable, that provides the motivation for this article. During an England football team training session, David Beckham was practising his free-kicks. At one point, he was struggling to score on a consistent basis. Glenn Hoddle, then the England manager, came over and told Beckham that he should step aside and let him show him how to do it. He then proceeded to take the same free kick repeatedly with much greater success. By all popular accounts, this simply wasted some of Beckham's training time, and all it taught him was that Hoddle could take good free kicks."

1 minute ago, Bronzy said:

"There is a story, perhaps a fable, that provides the motivation for this article. During an England football team training session, David Beckham was practising his free-kicks. At one point, he was struggling to score on a consistent basis. Glenn Hoddle, then the England manager, came over and told Beckham that he should step aside and let him show him how to do it. He then proceeded to take the same free kick repeatedly with much greater success. By all popular accounts, this simply wasted some of Beckham's training time, and all it taught him was that Hoddle could take good free kicks."

sounds about right. The video i watched wasnt beckham right enough.