How Many Rangers Players Were World Cup Winner Class ?

tannerall

1 hour ago, Spliffy said:

Van Bronckhorst also.

I  rate Klos right up there with Goram for us, but I don't think he was ever capped, so how could he even fit your description?

Cos he was possibly in the top five goalkeepers in the world at the time, never had a chance to prove it.

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

James the legend Tavanier 

Captain of Rangers, decent manager, stalwart of the defence, decent attacking ability, dead ball wizard, goal scorer,  who could be one of the main men who brings us bring us title number fifty five, 

If Tierney is worth £30 billion dembele dollars, how much would a succesful Tav be ?

21 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Captain of Rangers, decent manager, stalwart of the defence, decent attacking ability, dead ball wizard, goal scorer,  who could be one of the main men who brings us bring us title number fifty five, 

If Tierney is worth £30 billion dembele dollars, how much would a succesful Tav be ?

50 mill probs 

Thinking of guys like Prodan, Kuztnetsov and possibly Jardel, it is amazing how fickle football can be.

All were proven and potentially even greater players, but fate took it's toll. and unfortunately they never achieved true greatness or legend status, 

ON the other side we have guys like Nacho Novo and Marvin Andrews, who worked hard and became legends.

And never forget, because of the hatred of us by football authorities and Scottish managers we had guys like Bobby Russell an Alex McDonald, even Derek Johnstone who were never given the chance at a higher level. 

52 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Best all rounder we ever had, could do a job nowhere, followed the great Dutch 70s tradition of every player being able to play in any position.

Shame he wasn't very good in any position. 

A legend however for that great one off strike........

Can remember a few days after we signed him he was playing for Holland and jumped up for a header from a keepers goal kick  and he completely mis judged his attempt to header it and as he landed the ball hit his FEET!

Straight away I thought ‘he’s utter dug shit’ and so it proved bar his windmill armed strike against the manky mob

Just now, beararse said:

Can remember a few days after we signed him he was playing for Holland and jumped up for a header from a keepers goal kick  and he completely mis judged his attempt to header it and as he landed the ball hit his FEET!

Straight away I thought ‘he’s utter dug shit’ and so it proved bar his windmill armed strike against the manky mob

Thank god for those Dutch windmills, must have inspired him to hit a belter..........

Cooper, Souness, Gray, Francis, Durrant, Ian Ferguson, Wilkins, Hateley, Laudrup, Klos, Gazza, Negri, Walters, Goram, Gough, Ricksen, Albertz, Van Bronckhorst, Gattuso, Mols. 

There are probably more that could hold their own in a World Cup winning side, especially those before my time (Baxter etc.) but these legends are the obvious ones off the top of my head. 

6 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

Cooper, Souness, Gray, Francis, Durrant, Ian Ferguson, Wilkins, Hateley, Laudrup, Klos, Gazza, Negri, Walters, Goram, Gough, Ricksen, Albertz, Van Bronckhorst, Gattuso, Mols. 

There are probably more that could hold their own in a World Cup winning side, especially those before my time (Baxter etc.) but these legends are the obvious ones off the top of my head. 

Negri, Ricksen, Albertz... have a word with yourself ya eejit.

3 hours ago, Spliffy said:

Gattuso perhaps? The obvious one surely.

Aye because he did ? 

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

No. I don't mean Guivarc'h. 

I mean, how many Gers players would have been consistently world class for a World Cup winning team ?

I'll start with Baxter, Souness, Gascooigne and Laudrup.

Honourable mentions for Jardine, Henderson,  Gough,  Cannigia and maybe Butcher.

Maybe's for Wilkins and Goram, Klos ?

Should have beens:  Kuztnesov, Jardel.........Salenko ?

For me any suggestion would have had to be good enough to displace the World Cup winners that played in his position during the years that they were playing.

For example in 98’ clearly Gazza was clearly better than Karembeu and laudrup better than djorkaeff. But Terry Butcher wasn’t as good as Jose Brown or the other boy for Argentina in 86’... that’s how I see it at least ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Spliffy said:

Van Bronckhorst also.

I  rate Klos right up there with Goram for us, but I don't think he was ever capped, so how could he even fit your description?

Klos was a great shot stopper but his kicking could be terrible.

He was unlucky because his career straddled Kopke, Illgner, Kahn and Lehmann. 4 of the best GK in football of the past 30 years.