James Tavernier to be offered a new contract

Marky.

While this may seem silly on the surface, and I am far from his biggest fan, it does make sense to have our players on more robust contracts as they will be on display much more now we are in Europa League in the run up to the next transfer window.

Tav gets caught out a lot in our league  but his athleticism and attacking threat is exactly what the EPL clubs look for in a RB.

Giving Tavernier and Morelos new improved contracts after only signing new ones a matter of months ago is mind boggling.

Give them new improved deals when they start showing up in big games, stop letting us down and actually start winning trophies.

Good job Windass is away or he would be getting an upgraded deal too.

Just now, backup said:

These new contracts are to get more money if and when they move on, makes sense in that vein but in no other.

I've heard that a few times but not sure I understand how that works? Wouldn't teams be able to pay us less money for the player if their wages will be a stumbling block?

11 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

Giving Tavernier and Morelos new improved contracts after only signing new ones a matter of months ago is mind boggling.

Give them new improved deals when they start showing up in big games, stop letting us down and actually start winning trophies.

It’s not really.

If we are rejecting 4-5 million pound offers for Morelos then his agent is going to be straight on the phone saying that if we value him at that level then we should be paying him at the level of a player worth that amount and considering what’s WBA would have offered Tav wages wise then I’m assuming his agent will be exactly the same.

Their agents are looking after their clients and we are looking after our assets.

Just now, simplythebestest said:

I've heard that a few times but not sure I understand how that works? Wouldn't teams be able to pay us less money for the player if their wages will be a stumbling block?

Financial smoke and mirrors, ie..we have invested monies in an extended contract for this player you the buyer will have to recompense us for that, depending on duration of contract still to run.. on top of any fee.

He is clearly a player that splits opinion but as the manager backs him we need to protect the value of our assets. 

Gerrard has made him captain and praised him, we rejected bids from him during the window therefore the reaction to that has be improved terms to reflect the value that Gerrard has in the player - while also allowing us to ask for higher bids in future. 

can we renegotiate if he has a howler?

According to transfermarket his last contract extension was back in Feb - vaguely remember him and Windass getting one and his deal is up till 2021.

No need to give him a bump in salary as he is probably well paid already

Simply tell his agent how much we would accept

7 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

He is clearly a player that splits opinion but as the manager backs him we need to protect the value of our assets. 

Gerrard has made him captain and praised him, we rejected bids from him during the window therefore the reaction to that has be improved terms to reflect the value that Gerrard has in the player - while also allowing us to ask for higher bids in future. 

Given that he has already attracted bids from more than one team, it would seem inevitable that this will happen again. The increased wages and , I assume, extended term should increase his value. I am assuming that exposure in  European football will also help.

8 hours ago, simplythebestest said:

Morelos was on less than 10k a week when he signed.

You cant knock back multi million pound bids for a player and then expect to pay that type of wage.

6/7/8 million pound rated players need to be paid as such.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Morelos was on less than 10k a week when he signed.

You cant knock back multi million pound bids for a player and then expect to pay that type of wage.

6/7/8 million pound rated players need to be paid as such.

Don't disagree with that at all. Just wasn't sure how paying them more would result in us commanding a higher transfer fee. My logic was that if they were on a high salary, that would put suitors off because the overall cost of the transfer could go beyond what they're willing to pay.

If they see Morelos is on 10k a week, they know that they may be able to tempt him for 20k a week and be willing to pay us more to earn the right to begin negotiating with him. By paying him 30k a week (or whatever), they'll need to factor in that he'll still want an extra 10/20k a week to make the move, so they may need to bid less in order to make the overall cost more viable for them.

That doesn't factor player satisfaction into the mix though. If we're under paying him then he may spit the dummy and try to push a transfer through at a lower amount, so it's a fine balance. And the guy who replied already made a good point against my logic too.

14 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

Don't disagree with that at all. Just wasn't sure how paying them more would result in us commanding a higher transfer fee. My logic was that if they were on a high salary, that would put suitors off because the overall cost of the transfer could go beyond what they're willing to pay.

If they see Morelos is on 10k a week, they know that they may be able to tempt him for 20k a week and be willing to pay us more to earn the right to begin negotiating with him. By paying him 30k a week (or whatever), they'll need to factor in that he'll still want an extra 10/20k a week to make the move, so they may need to bid less in order to make the overall cost more viable for them.

That doesn't factor player satisfaction into the mix though. If we're under paying him then he may spit the dummy and try to push a transfer through at a lower amount, so it's a fine balance. And the guy who replied already made a good point against my logic too.

Again though, say a team pay 10 million for Morelos, he’ll have to be paid as such.

1 hour ago, esquire8 said:

No need for a new contract unless he is going in January for an inflated fee. A sellable asset which can be easily replaced in the team with Flanagan.

Flanagan doesn’t offer us a fraction of what Tav does in an attacking sense and he isn’t much better defensively either.

12 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Flanagan doesn’t offer us a fraction of what Tav does in an attacking sense and he isn’t much better defensively either.

Watch a rerun of c*****s goal  and keep an eye on Tav running back to cover the right back position-he chucks it and the bastards score.

On 04/09/2018 at 00:47, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Sick to fuck of reading this.

He can improve no doubt but the scum's McGregor did next to fuck all against us on Sunday. 

Tavernier made a number of good tackles, blocks and cleared his lines when needed.

The whole defence defended pretty well actually, it was the midfield and Lafferty that fucked us.

I think you will be even more sick of reading criticism of Tav before Jan or beyond. As a defender he couldnt keep chickens oot a close.