I Told You So

BridgeIsBlue

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Thing is mate we threw away quite a few other points prior to November as well as a league cup semi. These two games aren't the first bad signs 

Nope,  there have been plenty good signs too though ( villareal couldn't beat us home or away, sitting near the top of the table, one game away from Euro group stages) We can't just ignore them because of a bad few games.  I think that overall we are on the right path.

This team has played less than half a season together, that can't be stressed enough.  We still need to make some tweaks obviously, but that can't be done until the window opens.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That we're a work in progress. 

December was always going to be a hard month. 

We'll struggle without Morelos. 

Midfield and up top badly need an injection of quality, and it will be dealt with in January. 

Nothing is won or lost December. 

Get a grip. 

Defence isnt much better

17 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

How long does he get?

How many 'wrong results' is he allowed?

Appointing Gerrard was always going to be a risk, calculated or not - but we can't keep making excuses for him - his honeymoon period has to end soon.

We also can’t keep ripping it up and starting again every six months so we are sort of between a rock and a hard place.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That we're a work in progress. 

December was always going to be a hard month. 

We'll struggle without Morelos. 

Midfield and up top badly need an injection of quality, and it will be dealt with in January. 

Nothing is won or lost December. 

Get a grip. 

First of all Stevie has to be given time, but we are starting to see things go in a direction I do not like. I have watched this movie before and I have not enjoyed the ending.

We are indeed a work in progress but our inconsistency is worrying, I still believe we have too many losers from previous years teams still with us.

December was going to be difficult but Wed at home was a terrible performance by the same players who played well after going behind at Hearts, why was that ?? My guess is some cannot handle the pressure, too many losers IMO.

Yes when Morelos is playing well he is huge for our team and had until Wed night been doing better with his discipline. I do not know what happened to him but his first touch was terrible and very soon the red mist came down and a ref who was delighted to be able to book him for very little and send him off for what was a stupid thing to do on a yellow card. So yes we certainly missed the Mo that has been doing well until Wed night.

Now I really hope you are right about Jan, because as you say we need some quality in the middle to front areas. We have so little guile at times and that does need to be sorted. My only concern is that Jan is a difficult time to pick up the players we need and the loan market has not worked great for us with quality IMO. I am hopeful though that we will get two or three players that will improve us. 

Nothing is won or lost in Dec I agree with, but losing 5 points in the last two games (ones we should be winning) is certainly giving others a helping hand, but still not deadly yet.

I am normally on the same page as you with most things mate and understand why you think people are getting too worked up, but these last two games have certainly made me start to worry we are on an all to familiar road. I hope so much that I am wrong and we can get the better players we need a.s.a.p.  

Just now, backup said:

SG was tipped to bring panache and better players, he has done neither. Again loan players and 38 year olds are not the answer.

I don't think that they are planned to be "the answer".

They are a short term stop gap, while we build for the future. ( or at least they should be)

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Nope,  there have been plenty good signs too though ( villareal couldn't beat us home or away, sitting near the top of the table, one game away from Euro group stages) We can't just ignore them because of a bad few games.  I think that overall we are on the right path.

This team has played less than half a season together, that can't be stressed enough.  We still need to make some tweaks obviously, but that can't be done until the window opens.

I'm reserving judgement on our progression, ultimately how a team handles pressure is a big issue and they've handled going top last week very badly, not simply with the results but with the manner of our performances 

Now we have to see what happens before the winter break 

11 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

How long does he get?

Appointing Gerrard was always going to be a risk, calculated or not - but we can't keep making excuses for him - his honeymoon period has to end soon.

Longer than half a season.

While he still has us challenging, I don't think "wrong results" should be too important.  We can expect perfection, but we are never going to get it.

IMO he needs at least the rest of this season and all of next season ( assuming he doesn't completely fuck everything up)

16 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

So as we're a 'work in progess' we just ignore we failed to beat the second worst side in the league who had 10 men for 60 mins or so.

Could buy into this if it was against the scum or after a few wins on the trot but the timing is laughable and now its the go to excuse!

:lol: 

two seasons in a row we finished 3rd before Gerrard came along, we’ve had one transfer window to replace the shite and add quality, one transfer window and we’re a mere 2 points behind the leaders.

i genuinely think you’ll be suicidal if we add the needed quality in January and win the league. You’d be gutted. 

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

I don't think that they are planned to be "the answer".

They are a short term stop gap, while we build for the future. ( or at least they should be)

They aren't the answer, that is the point, serious money is required to buy a team, because nothing much is coming out of the hugely vaunted academy....Rangers managers don't get time, back in the day the right man in the chair was priority.

Now appears to be a scatter gun approach.

16 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

How long does he get?

His honeymoon period ended after the semi final. 

He's had one window to fix things, he needs time. 

3 minutes ago, backup said:

They aren't the answer, that is the point, serious money is required to buy a team, because nothing much is coming out of the hugely vaunted academy....Rangers managers don't get time, back in the day the right man in the chair was priority.

Now appears to be a scatter gun approach.

I don’t think anything about Gerrard’s appointment or what the club has done since then seems scattergun like tbh.

People need to remember that he’s had one window to put his own stamp on the team.

I don't think many of us really expected us to win the league this season. Gerrard is an inexperienced manager and needs more time but hopefully he learns..and quickly. Whilst he inherited some players, his signings and tactics have been suspect. The brutal truth is we need investment / better players. 

16 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

How long does he get?

He gets the season pressure free - unless a European position slips away which it won’t.

He gets time to develop the side for next season and hopefully adds one or two quality additions.

Sacking him is by far and away the wrong idea. Anyone who thought we were winning the league this season were deluding themselves no matter how bad the tarriers have been. 

There is a good core to the team, they need played and a couple of signings. The boys on permanent deals should take priority over the loanees in the league as they will likely be here next season so need more time working together and developing. People forget the wee mutants McGregor and Forrest have been in and around the first team since popcorn teeth’s time and weren’t ripping it up. Takes time and patience.

5 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

So going on that basis - we should have given Pedro more time?

On that basis yes. In reality we will never know.

we should just remember him in a bush and talking about dugs and caravans and say it was the right decision.

2 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

I don't think many of us really expected us to win the league this season. Gerrard is an inexperienced manager and needs more time but hopefully he learns..and quickly. Whilst he inherited some players, his signings and tactics have been suspect. The brutal truth is we need investment / better players. 

Agree with this almost entirely.Young players need game time over a couple seasons to get consistent. Same for SG

11 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

First of all Stevie has to be given time, but we are starting to see things go in a direction I do not like. I have watched this movie before and I have not enjoyed the ending.

We are indeed a work in progress but our inconsistency is worrying, I still believe we have too many losers from previous years teams still with us.

December was going to be difficult but Wed at home was a terrible performance by the same players who played well after going behind at Hearts, why was that ?? My guess is some cannot handle the pressure, too many losers IMO.

Yes when Morelos is playing well he is huge for our team and had until Wed night been doing better with his discipline. I do not know what happened to him but his first touch was terrible and very soon the red mist came down and a ref who was delighted to be able to book him for very little and send him off for what was a stupid thing to do on a yellow card. So yes we certainly missed the Mo that has been doing well until Wed night.

Now I really hope you are right about Jan, because as you say we need some quality in the middle to front areas. We have so little guile at times and that does need to be sorted. My only concern is that Jan is a difficult time to pick up the players we need and the loan market has not worked great for us with quality IMO. I am hopeful though that we will get two or three players that will improve us. 

Nothing is won or lost in Dec I agree with, but losing 5 points in the last two games (ones we should be winning) is certainly giving others a helping hand, but still not deadly yet.

I am normally on the same page as you with most things mate and understand why you think people are getting too worked up, but these last two games have certainly made me start to worry we are on an all to familiar road. I hope so much that I am wrong and we can get the better players we need a.s.a.p.  

Picking players who are obviouslly not as good as those left out is a problem.

The loanees in Coulibaly, Ejaria, Worral and Flanagan have well enough proven they are not good enough, but Gerrard has a blind spot for them. It simply isn't working with them. They need to go or it will be Gerrard, because results will not improve and it will be a sad day when fans turn on an icon like him.

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Picking players who are obviouslly not as good as those left out is a problem.

The loanees in Coulibaly, Ejaria, Worral and Flanagan have well enough proven they are not good enough, but Gerrard has a blind spot for them. It simply isn't working with them. They need to go or it will be Gerrard, because results will not improve and it will be a sad day when fans turn on an icon like him.

It’s worse playing loanees and not getting consistent good results than our own boys. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think anything about Gerrard’s appointment or what the club has done since then seems scattergun like tbh.

People need to remember that he’s had one window to put his own stamp on the team.

Let me repeat, Rangers managers don't get time, they either shape up or ship out.

Up until Scot Symon we had three managers, since we have had another 25, I will leave that figure with you.

Three managers in 68 years, in the next 51 years 25 managers,

2 minutes ago, backup said:

Let me repeat, Rangers managers don't get time, they either shape up or ship out.

Up until Scot Symon we had three managers, since we have had another 25, I will leave that figure with you.

Three managers in 68 years, in the next 51 years 25 managers,

25 managers in 51 years includes caretakers/interims etc. There have been 15 permanent managers in that time (two of whom both had two spells in charge). Of those only two  had a tenure which lasted shorter than a full year.