Josh McPake - RoI call up?

Blue_Devil

8 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

How mate? 

It's two different countries. I'm not sure NI can take players from the Republic

Genuine question, it seems a bit one way with players choosing ROI rather than NI is it just down to them being rabid tarriers in that scenario or is there other issues with the IFA etc

14 minutes ago, ayro said:

Genuine question, it seems a bit one way with players choosing ROI rather than NI is it just down to them being rabid tarriers in that scenario or is there other issues with the IFA etc

It's down to the individual and the side of the community they were raised in mostly. Nearly all Catholics in the North grow up supporting the ROI so when it comes to football most of them want to represent the Republic over the North.

In recent times there's been more Catholics playing for NI but even Niall McGinn who plays for NI said he supports ROI on an international level. 

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

It's down to the individual and the side of the community they were raised in mostly. Nearly all Catholics in the North grow up supporting the ROI so when it comes to football most of them want to represent the Republic over the North.

In recent times there's been more Catholics playing for NI but even Niall McGinn who plays for NI said he supports ROI on an international level. 

Only Protestant in my lifetime from Northern Ireland to play for RoI that I can remember is Alan Kernaghan and he didn’t really have any choice.

Just now, bluenoz said:

I always thought he was going to be the next big thing. Shows you what I know!

first seen him v Motherwell and thought exactly the same, he is made of Andy Carroll /Jack Wilshere material which is a shame because he would have been a proper  footballer.

3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Thanks for clearing up, pretty disappointing and must be challenging for young players making the choice as would imagine a fair amount of different pressures would be put on individuals 👍🏻

9 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Josh McPape.

Seriously though, im not really fussed anymore. If it is a good career move and helps develop him faster for us, then id be happy enough with it.

Cant stand international football, and the general hatred of Rangers by the tartan army has driven me from having any real investment in the Scottish national team.

This. Don’t give a fuck about international football. Whatever makes the Rangers player worth the most money, that’s all I care about 

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

I did. We fucked that one up.

I'm  not sure if we did or not. Dont get me wrong, hes developed into a good player, but its 7 years since he left. Would he have developed that well under ally? And in the lower divisions in general? Absolutely not imo. Probably the best for his career that he moved on in the end. Shame for us though.

6 minutes ago, stevemac said:

John fleck is a premier league starter at Sheffield united. Didnt see that coming.

I never got the Fleck hype, he looks neat and tidy at Sheff Utd but Aribo has done more quality stuff in a few weeks than Fleck ever done, he did score a few crackers v them in a kids game at Hampden and I think that's where the next Wayne Rooney stuff came from.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Only Protestant in my lifetime from Northern Ireland to play for RoI that I can remember is Alan Kernaghan and he didn’t really have any choice.

He did have a choice iirc,his Grannie came from Bangor NI,he could have played for them.

John Fleck, Lewis McCleod, Jamie Ness even Jordan Thompson could all have developed into great players with the right coaching and development. Fleck was smart and got out at the right time when our club was in disarray.

What will happen to Barjanos and Kelly? Will they go the same way? I can guarantee you right now, both are better football players than Docherty. And this topic of developing our youth always irks me.

It is a Josh Mcpake thread and the loan move seems right as long as one day soon he gets his chance.

2 hours ago, ayro said:

Thanks for clearing up, pretty disappointing and must be challenging for young players making the choice as would imagine a fair amount of different pressures would be put on individuals 👍🏻

The vast majority of young Catholics do opt for NI, but you will get some who are from a more Republican background who don't want to play for NI, which is fair enough, its the lads who use the NI system right up to u21 level and then switch that do my head in.

12 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

How mate? 

It's two different countries. I'm not sure NI can take players from the Republic

Always thought anyone with connections to the island of Ireland can opt to play for either the RoI or NI given the number of players opting to play for the south despite being born in the north 

Or is that because they're actually born there and the same rules don't apply to people seeking eligibility via heritage?

4 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Always thought anyone with connections to the island of Ireland can opt to play for either the RoI or NI given the number of players opting to play for the south despite being born in the north 

Or is that because they're actually born there and the same rules don't apply to people seeking eligibility via heritage?

Anyone born in NI is eligible for Irish citizenship so can therefore choose to play for them but it doesnt work the other way as players born in the south arent eligible for British citizenship so need to qualify through their parents/grandparents.