2nd UEFA Charge

BridgeIsBlue

4 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I agree, but times are changing whether we like it or not.

We can either move with them, or be left behind.  

I hate all the PC stuff, but understand that to a point, I have to live with it.

But that’s the point where does it stop. 

Believe me mate they won’t stop at this and by personal experience they hate WATP with a passion. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, chris182 said:

Agreed (more or less), I am actually fairly supportive of the board but they've made some pretty monumental fuck ups over the past few years

On the pitch, where it matters most, we’re stronger than we’ve been since Walter Smith left.  

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

But that’s the point where does it stop. 

Believe me mate they won’t stop at this and by personal experience they hate WATP with a passion. 

It doesn't stop.   It just gets worse. Unless the powers that be take a major political shift.   

It doesn't change that we will be fcked over for singing ftp etc.

We can't win the fight against PC culture, it's too embedded into power.

22 minutes ago, gogzy said:

ok so not UEFA then,  thanks.

No not uefa. Never said anything of the sort. Did say can you see where this is heading? Which is how these things work with a vocal minority latching onto lies about origins,  taking mock offence and reporting to the likes of FARE. I've demonstrated their fucked up interpretation of the 2 terms you mentioned and genuinely believe in time they like many other songs / phrases will be seriously targeted and possibly reach the banned list.

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Which other word/phrase in 'The Billy Boys' could be construed as sectarian?

Oh I know, let's look at UEFA's decision in 2014 to punish Ajax for a banner calling them 'Fenian Bastards'. Conveniently, it also references a previous 2011 decision to punish Rangers for use of the 'racist chant' 'we hate celtic fenian bastards' from 'Super Rangers'.

image.thumb.png.749c941389c38704774fc72f4984de11.pngimage.thumb.png.9e178aa089e1ba3c0f05023469cbf3b6.png

It does fall down at the last few wife’s where they add ‘and the Catholic community’ which should have been ceased on.

23 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What do want to sing at them?? 

“You've got a big nose and a ugly face” 

Calling someone a Fenian isn’t sectarian especially if they identify as a Fenian. 

It is if your calling someone a Fenian and they are not one I would imagine??? 

Just now, gogzy said:

It doesn't stop.   It just gets worse. Unless the powers that be take a major political shift.   

It doesn't change that we will be fcked over for singing ftp etc.

We can't win the fight against PC culture, it's too embedded into power.

Eventually it has to stop mate. 

Anyone can be (faux) offended by anything but eventually you have to say oh get a grip. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So why do they not just call themselves The Catholic Army if it is only about religion?? 

They know why they use Fenian and so do we, so spare us  

At no point did I say it was only about religion.  But pretending it has nothing to with religion seems daft me.  Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Eventually it has to stop mate. 

Anyone can be (faux) offended by anything but eventually you have to say oh get a grip. 

It wont stop mate.  

We passed the "oh get a grip" stage a long long time ago when it comes to PC outrage.

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

If your in that shithole and singing those songs you’re a Fenian. 

Thats who I’m singing about. 😂

That's my way of thinking but tbf they have an element of their support, like us who oppose the so called sectarian singing etc

1 hour ago, cr3_bear said:

Nobody is saying it isn’t derogatory. We are saying it is not religious. It is political. 

Maybe not directly, but by bringing up the origin of the word or reminding us that they use it to describe themselves, the implication seems to be that it's therefore not offensive.  My argument is that it clearly is.  If people want to argue that its not sectarian,  that's a separate issue (as I pointed out in my original post).  But using etymology or a their use of it to describe themselves as justification seems disingenuous to me.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Handsome. Glorious. Talented. Skillful. Funny.

Not heard sung much at football matches though are they?

I know you're joking, but my point is that even if a word isn't in of itself offensive, adding 'bastards' to the end of it and using it as an insult instantly makes it so.

Catch 22. Every enemy has Rangers by the balls and they're squeezing. Me I'd double down, but I understand why most wouldn't. 

Rangers aye being treated unfairly and targeted as well. The board being limp just roll over and it's the supporters who are punished, not those peddling lies and half-truthes while those in the east get away with murder. 

15 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Let's see, super ally was a jammy bastard at times. Don't believe that was ever said in a derogatory fashion 

Kind of is though.  Or is calling someone a jammy bastard a compliment?

Either way, my initial point stands.  Putting bastard on the end of something and using as an insult implies that your hatred for them stems from their belonging to that group.  Calling someone a *insertethnicity* bastard clearly implies that you dislike them because of their ethnicity. 

Before anyone says it, I know that 'Fenian' is not an ethnicity.  I'm just pointing out that even if you think the word Fenian isn't offensive, calling someone a Fenian bastard clearly is.  Is designed to be offensive.  You wouldn't use it as a compliment would you?

Catch 22. Every enemy has Rangers by the balls and they're squeezing. Me I'd double down, but I understand why most wouldn't. 

Rangers aye being treated unfairly and targeted as well. The board being limp just roll over and it's the supporters who are punished, not those peddling lies and half-truthes while those in the east get away with murder. 

17 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Well if you can know what I’m thinking singing a song you should be on BGT. 

I don't know what you're thinking anymore than you know what anyone else is thinking when they sing it.  My guess is that a fair percentage of the thousands singing 'Fenian Bastard' have a religious connotation in mind.  Obviously you disagree.  And since neither of us can read minds, we'll never know.

Zero arrests both home and away in Europe. No retaliation or anger by opposing fans. Why ? - because no one feels offended. Only one club is offended because we are breathing down their necks and they complain to UEFA and have FARE in their back-pocket.   This is more about what is in UEFA's ( Dude's ) wee rule book. The timing makes it clear to see. We played in 14 euro ties last year. I'm sure we were naughty once or twice, huh? Yet nothing was mentioned then.....

Archived