Investment

The Godfather

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I don't quite think cruising is the right term mate.

You started off claiming we needed a physical striker as Morelos was a wee boy.

When people had a look at what you seen and tore it apart, you have completely changed your tune to now saying that Morelos is too physical as all he does is push players.

So it turns out you just want someone who scores every game against them, which is fair enough, but at least admit that saying Morelos is not a physical player was just utter pish.

Lovenkrands and Novo scored quite a few against them, this does not make them more physical than Morelos.

You seem to be going over old ground thinking you are saying something new sadly its more of my time wasted replying to this out of courtesy and good manners.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

You seem to be going over old ground thinking you are saying something new sadly its more of my time wasted replying to this out of courtesy and good manners.

Old ground? You stated it about 45 minutes ago and have been doubling down on it since!

Just out of curiousity, why do you think Morelos is nicknamed 'the buffalo'? Strange name for a weak lightweight striker. You think it is supposed to be ironic?

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Old ground? You stated it about 45 minutes ago and have been doubling down on it since!

Just out of curiousity, why do you think Morelos is nicknamed 'the buffalo'? Strange name for a weak lightweight striker. You think it is supposed to be ironic?

You do go on get back to me when you have something other than what I have previously read and replied to.

So heres what I have gleaned from this thread so far.

We dont need our strikers mainly Morelos to score against the filth he has a nickname called the buffalo he can push and shove and players bemoan him so were fine with the lack of goals, I wear velcro shoes.

Seriously this now has to be my last post on the subject. done stick a fork in it.

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

No left back yet, weaker on the right as Tav needed Candeias and still need a striker.

The LB situation is concerning, but we will have to see what happens between now and the new year, I keep hoping Borna will come good but if he cannot play in the important games then he is no use to us.

I do not believe Candeias was good enough, he did some good things and yes ran himself into the ground, but to keep him just to play in front of Tav would have been a mistake. Tav needs to up his game and play with the players that is in the squad at the moment. Also the concerns I had about Tav being the captain are starting to come back to me and I do hope he can prove me wrong. 

I do not think I will not get involved with the third striker argument mate, I see where you are coming from but my priority would have been a number ten of the best quality we could get, that has not been done yet and a mistake IMO.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

You do go on get back to me when you have something other than what I have previously read and replied to.

You have not replied with any form of coherent response to back up your point though.

You claimed 'the buffalo' is a wee boy of a striker and we need a physical player to give us something different.

This is the point that people have pointed out which just seems absurd.

This is a chance to clarify your point.

I obviously expect you to deflect further, but am willing to give you some help. I suggest you backtrack and suggest that you meant a towering striker, who is both very strong (like a buffalo) and also very tall and a big Ariel threat.

Everyone will know you are lying, but at least it would be a coherent argument.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

So heres what I have gleaned from this thread so far.

We dont need our strikers mainly Morelos to score against the filth he has a nickname called the buffalo he can push and shove and players bemoan him so were fine with the lack of goals, I wear velcro shoes.

Seriously this now has to be my last post on the subject. done stick a fork in it.

Cruising like the Titanic mate.

1 minute ago, Bears r us said:

The LB situation is concerning, but we will have to see what happens between now and the new year, I keep hoping Borna will come good but if he cannot play in the important games then he is no use to us.

I do not believe Candeias was good enough, he did some good things and yes ran himself into the ground, but to keep him just to play in front of Tav would have been a mistake. Tav needs to up his game and play with the players that is in the squad at the moment. Also the concerns I had about Tav being the captain are starting to come back to me and I do hope he can prove me wrong. 

I do not think I will not get involved with the third striker argument mate, I see where you are coming from but my priority would have been a number ten of the best quality we could get, that has not been done yet and a mistake IMO.

The problem is we bought Barasic for his crossing ability we have no one who really attacks the ball in the box as strikers like that do not seem to exist anymore, Barasic goes forward see's no one to hit plays safe back pass gets booed and called negative.

Tav weaker without Candeias Ojo who will play constantly does not want to work back the way he has to add this to his game. Striker arguments done for me now no one seems to be able to see we need someone who scores against the filth reguraly.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

The problem is we bought Barasic for his crossing ability we have no one who really attacks the ball in the box as strikers like that do not seem to exist anymore, Barasic goes forward see's no one to hit plays safe back pass gets booed and called negative.

Tav weaker without Candeias Ojo who will play constantly does not want to work back the way he has to add this to his game. Striker arguments done for me now no one seems to be able to see we need someone who scores against the filth reguraly.

You mean like the Morelos winner on Thursday night, the one that put us into the Europa League?

The main point of the thread was about Board investment.      Some have made the point that Gerrard has been backed to the hilt.    Some have made the point that having been backed to the hilt its time to deliver.  Even if there are only 2 main strikers the risk has now been accepted by Gerrard and the Club that if one or the other gets injured, loses goal scoring / goal creating form, or is suspended for key games then the other will just have to get the job done, or others in the squad will - unlike last season - need to step up to the plate and contribute with enough match winning goals.     

As I recall it we went through some spells last season when Morelos was absent due to sendings off / bookings where we were relying on contributions for goals from the rest of the team.  Contributions which were not sufficient.  In the end we won nothing.

The proof of the investment pudding for this season will be if we have won trophies.     Clearly that can only be judged at the end of the season so let's see if all this enthusiasm about the level of investment turns out to have led us to the land of trophies won.     The amount of input investment is one thing...….its the outputs that count.    Outputs in the form of trophies won.   If that does not happen then maybe this thread should be revisited at the end of the season and the questions can begin again for next season.    If trophies are won then the thread can be revisited and the benefit of hindsight can be enjoyed from the vantage point of trophies won.

If Gerrard can't organise and lead the team to winning trophies having been given the investment in players he's had this summer then its not just the Board that might be asking questions next May.    He's got all the players the Club were able to get for him and he has a big squad as a result.      I hope he can go on to deliver some trophies as a result.