Morelos breaks European goalscoring record

stevemac

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Probably the best player of all time if you score 100 against a team in the one game. 

This is what happens when they go off script. They demonstrate that they aren't capable of producing a coherent argument that supports their own position.

5 hours ago, Malvern said:

Fuck sake, John Wark is on that list!

Yip and the biggest achievement on that list, 14 goals in 11 games  when Ipswich won the cup. At the time it was the most goals any player had scored in the history of European football in one season, all from midfield and no games against minnows from Gibraltar etc 

They just can’t help themselves.

Even after the EL draw Hartson was sitting talking him up for about a minute solid a thought, wow that’s a surprise. 

After that he went in on Morelos saying he should have more goals because he misses so many chances he should have 35+. Cannae get any credit because he pulls on our jersey. Owen hargreaves was sitting like wtf is this cunt talking about. 

19 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Probably the best player of all time if you score 100 against a team in the one game. 

Certainly up there with the best at least

I think the fallout from not scoring against anyone else would be interesting though, lazy cunt, heart's not in it, on the drink again, just picking up a wage.

20 hours ago, YearsofWar said:

I know they are thick as fuck but even this one is a surprise to me.

I'm not surprised mate 😂

They can't put together a solid argument. So come out with utterly stupid shit. 

I think guys like that will be queuing up at the bridge when he scores against them. 

ALFREDO MORELOS’ strike in last week’s 1-1 Europa League draw with BSC Young Boys has seen him set a brand-new record for pre-Christmas goalscoring in UEFA competition.

In over 60 years of organised tournaments, no player has ever netted 14 goals prior to the traditional winter pause in continental matches – with Morelos smashing that stat this season.

It’s a proud accolade for Morelos, who said: “It is amazing to find out that I have broken this record, but of course it wouldn’t be possible without all of my teammates helping me.

“To score for Rangers is always really meaningful to me and I enjoy scoring for the fans every single time. I love playing in big European matches here and to be able to set this record is a proud moment.

“I always dreamed about scoring in in really competitive leagues and competitions when I was a kid.

“I know that I have to keep growing and doing things right in every match, which I know I will with the support of my teammates and coaches here at Rangers.”

His pride is shared by manager Steven Gerrard, who added: “Alfredo has been in fantastic form for us both in the league and especially in the Europa League.

“To be so close to taking the overall record for scoring in the Europa League from his countryman and idol Falcao is a real achievement and we congratulate him for all his efforts so far this season.”

Starting off back in July, he struck away to St Joseph’s of Gibraltar in the 4-0 victory before netting a hat-trick in the return leg a week later as Gers eased their way through the first qualifying round.

Next up for El Bufalo in Europe was an outstanding header on the end of a top-class James Tavernier cross in Denmark against Midtjylland in that memorable 4-2 victory, before he grabbed a double in the 3-1 win at Ibrox to seal the tie.

Then came, perhaps, his most valuable goal of all. After almost 180 tense, goalless minutes against Legia Warsaw, Morelos got his head to the end of a Jordan Jones cross to book Rangers’ place in the Europa League group stage once again, and spark incredible scenes of celebration all around Ibrox.

So that was eight goals in eight qualifying matches – and he just picked-up from where he left-off as Gers were drawn with FC Porto, BSC Young Boys and Feyenoord.

After a great performance but no goal on matchday one with the Dutch at Ibrox, he re-opened his Euro account in Bern with the first goal on a night where the Light Blues were beaten 2-1 by Young Boys.

The double-header with Porto followed, and it was there he truly came into his own. Controlling and then firing home an exceptional Borna Barisic cross in Portugal to earn his side a fantastic 1-1 draw, he then managed an outrageous finish a fortnight later at Ibrox, helping his team to a 2-0 win and pointing them towards the knockout stages.

If that was brilliant, goals 12 and 13 followed on the same night in Rotterdam on matchday five, with two sublime headers against Feyenoord on the end of Ryan Kent and Barisic crosses from the left in a 2-2 tie.

The pressure was on for the final matchnight at Ibrox against Young Boys, and once again, El Bufalo delivered to send his side through to the Last 32 with a 1-1 draw, and his 14th in Europe this season.

Indeed, the competition record is 17, which is held by his compatriot Radamel Falcao from the 2010/11 season where he helped Porto win the tournament, and that is the same as the Champions League record of 17, held by Cristiano Ronaldo from the 2013/14 season for Real Madrid.

The current season record for any UEFA competition is 19, and that is held by Action 21 Charleroi from the 2003/04 UEFA Futsal Cup.

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/alfredo-delight-at-record/

38 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

ALFREDO MORELOS’ strike in last week’s 1-1 Europa League draw with BSC Young Boys has seen him set a brand-new record for pre-Christmas goalscoring in UEFA competition.

In over 60 years of organised tournaments, no player has ever netted 14 goals prior to the traditional winter pause in continental matches – with Morelos smashing that stat this season.

It’s a proud accolade for Morelos, who said: “It is amazing to find out that I have broken this record, but of course it wouldn’t be possible without all of my teammates helping me.

“To score for Rangers is always really meaningful to me and I enjoy scoring for the fans every single time. I love playing in big European matches here and to be able to set this record is a proud moment.

“I always dreamed about scoring in in really competitive leagues and competitions when I was a kid.

“I know that I have to keep growing and doing things right in every match, which I know I will with the support of my teammates and coaches here at Rangers.”

His pride is shared by manager Steven Gerrard, who added: “Alfredo has been in fantastic form for us both in the league and especially in the Europa League.

“To be so close to taking the overall record for scoring in the Europa League from his countryman and idol Falcao is a real achievement and we congratulate him for all his efforts so far this season.”

Starting off back in July, he struck away to St Joseph’s of Gibraltar in the 4-0 victory before netting a hat-trick in the return leg a week later as Gers eased their way through the first qualifying round.

Next up for El Bufalo in Europe was an outstanding header on the end of a top-class James Tavernier cross in Denmark against Midtjylland in that memorable 4-2 victory, before he grabbed a double in the 3-1 win at Ibrox to seal the tie.

Then came, perhaps, his most valuable goal of all. After almost 180 tense, goalless minutes against Legia Warsaw, Morelos got his head to the end of a Jordan Jones cross to book Rangers’ place in the Europa League group stage once again, and spark incredible scenes of celebration all around Ibrox.

So that was eight goals in eight qualifying matches – and he just picked-up from where he left-off as Gers were drawn with FC Porto, BSC Young Boys and Feyenoord.

After a great performance but no goal on matchday one with the Dutch at Ibrox, he re-opened his Euro account in Bern with the first goal on a night where the Light Blues were beaten 2-1 by Young Boys.

The double-header with Porto followed, and it was there he truly came into his own. Controlling and then firing home an exceptional Borna Barisic cross in Portugal to earn his side a fantastic 1-1 draw, he then managed an outrageous finish a fortnight later at Ibrox, helping his team to a 2-0 win and pointing them towards the knockout stages.

If that was brilliant, goals 12 and 13 followed on the same night in Rotterdam on matchday five, with two sublime headers against Feyenoord on the end of Ryan Kent and Barisic crosses from the left in a 2-2 tie.

The pressure was on for the final matchnight at Ibrox against Young Boys, and once again, El Bufalo delivered to send his side through to the Last 32 with a 1-1 draw, and his 14th in Europe this season.

Indeed, the competition record is 17, which is held by his compatriot Radamel Falcao from the 2010/11 season where he helped Porto win the tournament, and that is the same as the Champions League record of 17, held by Cristiano Ronaldo from the 2013/14 season for Real Madrid.

The current season record for any UEFA competition is 19, and that is held by Action 21 Charleroi from the 2003/04 UEFA Futsal Cup.

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/alfredo-delight-at-record/

Excellent.

I can see him either topping the record or in recent Rangers fashion, finishing so close to it

On a different note couldn't really give a fuck what the tarriers say about this. UEFA have recognised this achievement which will mean that big teams will be taking notice and i doubt they give a fuck either about if he's scored against them or no 

22 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

We have to be honest, any team he’s ever scored against was shite. The best team we have ever faced is celtic and that’s why he’s never scored against them.

:mutley:

I almost smacked my head against the car window pre-league cup final when I was listening on the radio to the build up on BBC Scotland, when Tom Irish stated that they were the best team we had faced this season.

I know he’s rancid, but to even think that after some of the teams we have faced in Europe was comical.

Worse still (albeit we lost the game), we battered them for the majority of the game, and I bet he still defended them.

By the way,  I was driving down South to work, and would normally never listen to these idiots.

Morelos has already proved he can do it in Europe.  Scoring against them isn’t part of the argument as he has done it consistently at a higher level.

Lets hope he breaks his duck at their hovel this month.  That would be sweet.

Archived