Gerrard on the brink

Mor3los_1

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Only as much as you're backing the players more than the club tbh. Which you'll likely not accept you are.

I honestly understand both sides of the argument but for me it's better for the club to give him another year than not. Not for the benefit of Gerrard.

The biggest frustration is we KNOW we can compete well enough to be the best team in scotland, we just dont do it consistently enough to actually be that top team. And that's far from similar to the the place we were in with what he inherited.

I’m not entirely sure that’s true.

Take our records against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, 2 of, if not the most physical teams in the league.

Shameful tbh.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

It's never crossed my mind not to stick with him. 

It's the only sensible approach. 

Of course we stick with him. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

The drama and hysteria over this is embarrassing. 

Last nights performance was beyond embarrassing in what was our last chance of Silverware.

Should we all happy clap and back slap a manager who has spent over 20 million and looks like a broken man and out of ideas how to fix this mess?

9 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Of course we are. 

I’m in the minority here and don’t really care about 9/10 iar or whatever. I care about Rangers and Rangers being back able to compete every year for titles. We’re not there yet. 

Chopping and changing managers will just continue to set us back, with new ideas, new players etc. Don’t get me wrong, one might come along un the right circumstances and pull a title off (see Wim Jansen). 

Of course, Gerrard has a lot of blame on his shoulders, recruitment, squad management, tactical inflexibility, in-game management therefore the onus is on him, and his wider circle, do recognise the mistakes and change them. 

Yesterday was a watershed and I very much suspect (maybe more hope) that the recruitment takes an different approach in the summer. The likes of Morelos, Kamara, Tav and possibly a couple others simply have to be sold with the funds used to buy 4/5/6 players who know what it takes in terms of leadership/winners etc. 

We'd need to be paying clubs to take Tav of our hands ffs. Alfie's resale value plummeting faster than an aeroplane with no engines. Kamara a million tops.

We will try to offload players to reduce the wage bill and be glad of it, if we can.

The cupboard is bare with a wage bill that is simply unsustainable.

The bottom line doesn't lie no matter how one tries to embellish the positive 

We've all got the t shirt on that score.

Not forgetting what King said on announcing his stepping down.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Sell barisic but keep tav as backup? You mental? Tav is a serial loser that was jobbing around league one in England till he lucked in on us, barisic ia the croatian starting left back, 

Tav should be the first out the door 

Tav's nothing more than a glorified League 1 player. 

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Last nights performance was beyond embarrassing in what was our last chance of Silverware.

Should we all happy clap and back slap a manager who has spent over 20 million and looks like a broken man and out of ideas how to fix this mess?

I'm sticking with him 100%.

And your alternative is........? 

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Only as much as you're backing the players more than the club tbh. Which you'll likely not accept you are.

I honestly understand both sides of the argument but for me it's better for the club to give him another year than not. Not for the benefit of Gerrard.

The biggest frustration is we KNOW we can compete well enough to be the best team in scotland, we just dont do it consistently enough to actually be that top team. And that's far from similar to the the place we were in with what he inherited.

I cant stand the majority of the players mate so it's not that lol

I just hate the fact we seem to have gotten into a position with Gerrard where in the eyes of some he is a messiah, he is our only option for success. 

If he'd come from a winning background in management I'd agree we need to stick with him but hes done nothing to prove we should, the season is literally done by the 1st of March...not sure if that was earlier or later than last season but cant be far off! 

He hasnt learned & shows no signs of being willing to change, it comes to a point where you need to step in and remove him from the position if hes not willing to himself.

Just now, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Gerrard is going nowhere. And that's the right thing. 

Those wanting him to quit are going to be very disappointed. 

Some people are just more comfortable with being first placed loser. 

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’m not entirely sure that’s true.

Take our records against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, 2 of, if not the most physical teams in the league.

Shameful tbh.

We beat the scum, we had a game in hand, we were by far the best team in a cup final. We do know these players have the ability, they've shown it. Theres undoubtedly reasons why we've not done it consistently enough.

Dominating the scum who have dominated the game here shows more about being capable than beating the sheep or Killie but not coming close to matching the scum in games.

As some said, dust is setting and I am falling back to the view of SG staying... but this isn’t just a flat acceptance. 

SG needs to seriously consider his recruitment policy as any more Sheyi Ojo or Barker signings are not going to be enough. 

a serious consideration on formations has to be learned and he has to learn 433 won’t work always. 

We need two proven goalscorers (in addition to Defoe) and hope that we can sell Morelos to fund two we need. Personally speaking I think we need a Jelavic-type. 

lastly... and I won’t change my mind on this... change in captaincy.  I like Tav and a drop in form is natural however he does not fill me with confidence in his role as on-field leader. He never has.  

1 minute ago, Bertent said:

Some people are just more comfortable with being first placed loser. 

So you think Gerrard is happy losing?  Did you not see how gutted the guy was yesterday?  You don’t think the fans want to win this league?

1 minute ago, TMB said:

So you think Gerrard is happy losing?  Did you not see how gutted the guy was yesterday?  You don’t think the fans want to win this league?

Oh he was gutted, that makes all the difference.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We beat the scum, we had a game in hand, we were by far the best team in a cup final. We do know these players have the ability, they've shown it. Theres undoubtedly reasons why we've not done it consistently enough.

Dominating the scum who have dominated the game here shows more about being capable than beating the sheep or Killie but not coming close to matching the scum in games.

If we’re dominating the Scum then how exactly are we 12 points behind and with no chance of winning a trophy for second time in a season? 

1 minute ago, Bertent said:

Oh he was gutted, that makes all the difference.

You said people were happy to finish second place.  Who were you referring to?  Who is happy being second?  Gerrard and the fans certainly aren’t happy so....

Just now, TMB said:

You said people were happy to finish second place.  Who were you referring to?  Who is happy being second?  Gerrard and the fans certainly aren’t happy so....

How about the individual i quoted, whos posts indicate his love of the manager is greater than the team.

1 hour ago, Valance1690 said:

I cant stand the majority of the players mate so it's not that lol

I just hate the fact we seem to have gotten into a position with Gerrard where in the eyes of some he is a messiah, he is our only option for success. 

If he'd come from a winning background in management I'd agree we need to stick with him but hes done nothing to prove we should, the season is literally done by the 1st of March...not sure if that was earlier or later than last season but cant be far off! 

He hasnt learned & shows no signs of being willing to change, it comes to a point where you need to step in and remove him from the position if hes not willing to himself.

2 months ago it was sensational. This place was buzzing. Him, his players, our football.... all wonderful. It's pretty much imploded since then. 

I'm in no way saying he's faultless, but when we see no player win their individual battles yet again, gift goals yet again, then for me they bear the brunt of the blame. Our only players currently deserving of a jersey are Kamberi, hagi and mcgregor. From 2 months ago them giving 10/10s regularly.

The players dont appear interested, bothered, up for it, competent, driven. In some games tho when it suits they turn up. I dont think any manager can live with that. Unfortunately the squad which he has brought in as back up isnt capable of replacing, and yes he deserves criticism for that.

But for me our inconsistency is killing us, and again yesterday that comes from attitude  and desire going AWOL. And that's by far more in players than Gerrard.

9 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Gerrard is going nowhere. And that's the right thing. 

Those wanting him to quit are going to be very disappointed. 

You're a Steven Gerrard fan more than you are a Rangers fan.

33 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

It's got to the point now where people are backing Gerrard more than the club, that's the issue.

He signed these players who hes been flinging under the bus for the last 2 months, he picks them again and again & tells them what formation/tactics to play 

At the start he got all the support in the world as he was left with a shit squad of overpaid players who were nowhere near catching the taigs...if he was to leave tomorrow we'd be in the exact same place.

Yup and a lot of these people are saying nobody is bigger than the club. They don’t see the irony.

5 minutes ago, Sket said:

You're a Steven Gerrard fan more than you are a Rangers fan.

Aye. I've been supporting Steven Gerrard for 40 years. Deary me. 

Is this the level we're at?! 

You want him gone. I want him to stay. Deal with the difference of opinion! 

31 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I agree.

'similar to the the place we were in with what he inherited'. is the comment that has been playing on my mind.

When Gerrard inherited that team we weren't doing well in Europe or the league, but SG and his back team have been successful in Europe and for part of the domestic games, prior to injuries and fatigue with their team. So what exactly is it that he finds similar to what he inherited.

All I can think of is the officiating. back then he spoke out saying it had been bad for several seasons and to date nothing has happened. I feel as though there is an attitude in the dressing room of 'why should we turn up, when the ref doesn't'.

The board need to do more to back Gerrard up in this area. The directors need to get down to the dressing room and hear the players grievances and the act on them.

1 hour ago, RDB14 said:

This is categorically 100% not true.  The players were not called in and told he was off.  The board also will not be getting rid of him.  I have no idea what SG is thinking but the board won’t get rid in and that story about the players being told he is gone is nonsense.  Don’t care if anyone believes me but that is the truth.

I just said that it's not true 

Archived