Football Next Season - Will there be any?

Blue Avenger

Closed doors won't pay the bills for clubs.  Partial opening isn't really feasible due to crowding before and after the games.  Also trying to get past people when trying to maintain social distancing.     Can't see that being a starter.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JCDBigBear said:

Closed doors won't pay the bills for clubs.  Partial opening isn't really feasible due to crowding before and after the games.  Also trying to get past people when trying to maintain social distancing.     Can't see that being a starter.

Exactly. Its all smoke and mirrors just now. Who knows when football or any contact sport will recommense. Not untll infallible testing or a vaccine is produced I'd predict. The Tories are 100% correct as per their prudent approach. Its purely politicking for any other game plan at this time. I'm hopeful that a vaccine will be both found and tested safely well before current forecasts.

5 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Unless there is a massive change in government stance then I can't see football happening in 2020.

It won't unless the boffins (hopefully) develop infallible testing and vaccines. The only cunts saying otherwise are commie agitators. Forever spouting traitor shite.

Football has been suspended in Scotland at all levels since 13 March

Scottish football should not expect to hold matches in front of fans "any time soon", says Nicola Sturgeon.

Scotland's First Minister said at her daily briefing she could not put a timescale on when the sport might resume.

No games have been played in Scotland since 13 March and the SPFL have since ended the lower-league seasons.

Ms Sturgeon also said the idea of playing behind closed doors needed to be "very carefully considered".

'Unrealistic Olympics can go ahead without vaccine'

Coronavirus: What is your club saying?

The body that represents Europe's top leagues says when football does return it will "no doubt" be played behind closed doors.

However, the First Minister said any moves to do so would still bring issues.

"We have to consider if that completely takes away the risk," she said. "If a match is still on TV, the danger is people will congregate together to watch. 

"What I will say is they will be very carefully considered and we'll share as much of that as we can."

Ms Sturgeon also cautioned that "some sort of social distancing" would still be required once restrictions are lifted, which would have consequences for attendances.

That could last, she confirmed, until a vaccine becomes available, with the latest reports suggesting that could be the second half of next year.

"We want to get a semblance of normality back to people's lives but we cant risk a resurgence of this virus," she said.

"I know that is not good news for people who have sport as a really important part of their lives but it would be wrong for me to give false expectation about an early resumption of large-scale sporting events."

8 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

How is indoor football in an empty arena any better than  in an empty stadium?    Don't know about anyone else but I've never been a fan of 5 or 6 a-side unless I'm playing.

You can never replace playing in front of fans but alternatives will be found and indoor is an option all a bit pie in the sky though as looks like no live football for the foreseeable. 

The masters football was very entertaining indoors , with the right players it would be good to watch , how good would it be to see skillfull players and no hammer throwers just punting the ball away every two seconds on a pitch that's muddy as fuck.

They have been trying to get a vaccine for HIV for 35 years and failed. The lockdown can’t go on much longer or the damage caused will be worse than the virus. Open everything up at the end of May but practice social distancing ,mask wearing on public transport and lockdown old people. 

If they want the country's economy to totally collapse they'll do this .

If blood placebo works we could have treatment by september .

This is a forever virus and it may just be something like pneumonia , norovirus, flu, swine flu we just have to live with and life must go on or we'll be living in a movie .

2 hours ago, The Blues said:

They have been trying to get a vaccine for HIV for 35 years and failed. The lockdown can’t go on much longer or the damage caused will be worse than the virus. Open everything up at the end of May but practice social distancing ,mask wearing on public transport and lockdown old people. 

I agree 100% but to lift lockdown they must be sure of no second wave.

Am locked away for 12weeks last thing I want is those lifted being able to get out for 2/3weeks then another lockdown for a indefinite period.

I simply couldn't do it.

Could end up with the return being g too late to have a league competition which has any real meaning next season. Perhaps take a full year off and restart the season  on 13th March 2021, and complete this season s fixtures. Shame the SPFL board have caused that not to be possible by completing the lower leagues. 

On 19/04/2020 at 16:35, Blue Avenger said:

As the shitstorm within the SPFL rages on, along with this virus, will there even be any football next season?

Holyrood alluding that there will be no public gatherings until a vaccine is found and looking at 18 months time.

Does a new season start under closed doors? Will the players/players union agree to it with the risks involved as social distancing cannot be maintained in a contact sport.

Then there are the financial implications. How do clubs earn revenue IF we even get closed doors? TV money?  How are ST's disbursed and prices set?

I can see crowds returning in a limited capacity in the new year, but not much chance before that, so I cannot see so many surving with such a reduced income.

Many hard questions yet to be asked and answers given, because the whole future of the game as we know it is under threat due to this virus and I fear many will not survive.

Have you not heard the scum will be awarded next years title this year as well?

22 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

My worry is how do Rangers stay afloat if there is no football for the rest of the year and no earning capacity? 

No creditors calling loans in and furlough players.

If it gets that bad, we are in a better position than most.

"We have to consider if that completely takes away the risk," she said. "If a match is still on TV, the danger is people will congregate together to watch. 

They treat us like we’re children.  Just ask people not to congregate together when watching games and the vast majority will follow the advice.  

Archived