Welcome Calvin Bassey

Personally think Barisic gets a hard deal on here but also think he’s extremely overrated as well. 

Bassey will be a decent addition and hopefully provide competition to Barisic. Imagine Barisic thinking Halliday or Flanagan would ever start before him unless he was injured? Really hoping for a change we have a young, hungry and mentally able footballer desperate to play and challenge for places in the team. The amount of younger players we’ve signed permanently or on loan have been a fucking embarrassment 90% of the time. Time we had some luck

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a big, strong, athletic boy,  who is a raw talent, like Aribo will need nurtured, obviously has more strength and aggression than Aribo albeit different positions,  can see hes been a centre half convert to left side,  more a full back I reckon,  can play play positions,  at 250k comp and only 20, may prove a steal.

8 hours ago, Swally said:

That just proves that you can't judge someone by watching a youtube video!

Did they have anything more to say about him?

He played centre half that day just said he’s quick and an absolute unit.

Boy I know plays at a really shite level so I didn’t ask about much else. Was a bit of a mismatch playing their u23 team so he obviously cruised it.

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

He was Cedrick. Might not be shite in a stmirren or Alloa team but he was shite in a Rangers team 

Agree not good enough to play for Rangers in the spl but apart from McGregor and buff  non of them are , Halliday is nowhere near as bad as supporters try and make out

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

Agree not good enough to play for Rangers in the spl but apart from McGregor and buff  non of them are , Halliday is nowhere near as good as supporters try and make out

👍

Former Leicester City and Scotland CB Matt Elliott on Bassey.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18502253.matt-elliott-calvin-bassey-strong-physical-fast---leaving-leicester-Rangers-play/

"Calvin’s intention will be to force his way into that first team at Rangers,” he said. “He isn’t going up there for a break or a change of scenery. He will want to make his mark.

“I work for the club’s media channel and do the odd co-commentary on their development squad games. I have seen a fair few of their games this season.

“Calvin is a big, strong, powerful lad who can play at centre half or left back. He has certainly got the physical attributes. He is very capable for a boy of his age. He is very athletic, has got great pace. He can get forward from the full-back position.

“First team football is what he needs. He needs to be tested out defensively at a higher level to develop the awareness you need when you are up against players to make clever runs. I am sure he will make a good case for himself to get a starting place.”

55 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If he can play centre half and left back then he probably gives us the option to play three at the back too with him on the left hand side of the back three.

He played there for Leicester U23s too

23 minutes ago, Broxi said:

He played there for Leicester U23s too

Good to have different options that allow us to play different systems. The lack of variety is something the majority of people have been quite critical about for a while now so hopefully this is is addressing it.

4 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If he can play centre half and left back then he probably gives us the option to play three at the back too with him on the left hand side of the back three.

Having the option to go 3-5-2 is crucial especially in the winter months where good football isn’t always possible. 

Having 3 big CBs who can handle set pieces, allows us to get Barisic and Tav playing as true wing backs and Hagi in a 10 role behind 2 strikers. The only issue is where you fit Kent into that line up

6 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Having the option to go 3-5-2 is crucial especially in the winter months where good football isn’t always possible. 

Having 3 big CBs who can handle set pieces, allows us to get Barisic and Tav playing as true wing backs and Hagi in a 10 role behind 2 strikers. The only issue is where you fit Kent into that line up

I really think a 3-5-2 needs to be seriously looked at. (even without Bassey)

Leicester must have some cover in that position to just let him go , I think we have a wee gem on our hands here . 

Defo won't get bullied off the ball up here , for 250k total bargain . 

A bit robust for a left back sorta like Melchiot / a young Micah Richards , hopefully this season Gerrard does not chop and change the centre backs unless really necessary . 

I have a close mate who works at Leicester City and he described Bassey as “an athlete” and “extremely quick” He has never played 1st team and he can’t see him being a starter at Rangers. He is more of a project than anything but could come good in the future. 
I’ve never seen the lad play - just going on my mate’s opinion - who is an ex Championship player and internationalist so he has a fair idea what he is on about. 

16 minutes ago, Chooch22 said:

I have a close mate who works at Leicester City and he described Bassey as “an athlete” and “extremely quick” He has never played 1st team and he can’t see him being a starter at Rangers. He is more of a project than anything but could come good in the future. 
I’ve never seen the lad play - just going on my mate’s opinion - who is an ex Championship player and internationalist so he has a fair idea what he is on about. 

No more projects at Rangers please. 

we need to win the league not nurture talent, that can wait till we start winning things.  NOT NOW.  

Archived