Itten

KeyserSoze

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Itten is being played out of position in the wide area.  Stick Defoe out wide and he would be less effective too.  Unless Itten gets a run of games as the CF we’re not going to see the best of him.  If he doesn’t start playing more football his international side will stop calling him up.  It’s good to know we have him should Morelos be sold, or Defoe retires, but right now he’s being wasted.  

I completely get why Defoe plays in these domestic games, however, for me, there was zero point in starting him yesterday and would have been an ideal opportunity to play Itten through the middle against much weaker opposition.  Would have been a confidence booster if he scored too as we would have been too much for Falkirk, whoever played through the middle. A wasted chance for me to see him in a natural position rather than wider on the right. 

I’ve still to be convinced by him but he’s got a longer future at the club than Defoe so we should be playing him against teams like yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I completely get why Defoe plays in these domestic games, however, for me, there was zero point in starting him yesterday and would have been an ideal opportunity to play Itten through the middle against much weaker opposition.  Would have been a confidence booster if he scored too as we would have been too much for Falkirk, whoever played through the middle. A wasted chance for me to see him in a natural position rather than wider on the right. 

I’ve still to be convinced by him but he’s got a longer future at the club than Defoe so we should be playing him against teams like yesterday. 

I felt the same way about the home games against Livingston and Hamilton.  Those are perfect opportunities to give Itten game time.  Limiting his game time to this extend, and playing him out of position, will only hurt his development.  As I said before, Switzerland will stop calling him up if he’s not playing football.  

If the league is all but wrapped up by the end of January maybe he could be loaned out until the summer.  The boy needs to be playing football.

1 hour ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Itten is shite at the moment he might well improve but not much with the minutes and positions he's playing for us and isn't good enough to force his way to any better. 

I doubt we will see any profit from itten he doesn't look good at all. 

:lol:You should probably leave the thread. 

48 minutes ago, TMB said:

I felt the same way about the home games against Livingston and Hamilton.  Those are perfect opportunities to give Itten game time.  Limiting his game time to this extend, and playing him out of position, will only hurt his development.  As I said before, Switzerland will stop calling him up if he’s not playing football.  

If the league is all but wrapped up by the end of January maybe he could be loaned out until the summer.  The boy needs to be playing football.

I wouldn’t be loaning him out at all mate. Should we get an injury to Roofe or Alfie, in this season when we are going for the league, last thing I want to see is to be dependent on Defoe, who is not even in the Europa squad. Yes, I agree, he needs more game time. St Mirren twice would be good to start him. 

9 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Because winning cup games is more important than developing a player for profit. And Defoe is better than Itten so deserved to play the no9 role. 👍

Falkirk in league one, they were pretty poor, itten through the middle wouldnt have jeopardised last nights result

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Falkirk in league one, they were pretty poor, itten through the middle wouldnt have jeopardised last nights result

There were already plenty changes. We know Defoe gets this type of game and when he plays he's the no9. His record warrants that.

We can debate how productive CI could have been at in the central role but what's not in doubt is that JD delivered again whilst CI by and large had a poor game.

Defoe is the one impressing and deserves the jersey more.

52 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Defoe is the one impressing and deserves the jersey more.

If you stuck Defoe out wide and played Itten through the middle which one do you think would impress more?  Remember, Itten played through the middle against Motherwell and scored two great goals.  He deserved a start against Livingston or Hamilton after that.

4 hours ago, Professor_Chang said:

He's a striker and we are playing wide of a three

As I’ve said he’s earned his move playing as a striker in a 442. 

we don’t play a 442 therefore he will continue to struggle. 
he was bought because we thought Morelos was off. 

38 minutes ago, TMB said:

If you stuck Defoe out wide and played Itten through the middle which one do you think would impress more?  Remember, Itten played through the middle against Motherwell and scored two great goals.  He deserved a start against Livingston or Hamilton after that.

So Gerrard got his team selection wrong?

6 hours ago, Essandoh said:

He’ll come good, just like Aribo and Barisic

You’d think after countless examples of players taking time to settle in people would start getting embarrassed of immediately slagging off new signings who don’t have an instant impact, apparently not.

5 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

You’d think after countless examples of players taking time to settle in people would start getting embarrassed of immediately slagging off new signings who don’t have an instant impact, apparently not.

It's the Rangers Media way. Sadly. 

He might not kick on don't get me wrong, but he's probably played a grand total (minutes-wise) of about 3 full games, combined. 

It's hard when your only getting wee cameo's then thrown in like that - although he should have done a bit more last night. Had a couple of good chances. 

Thought Kilmarnock away he had a good game and quite liked the other wee bits I seen (without him being earth shattering). 

2 hours ago, Bronzy said:

Exactly . 

I always think back to Ally NcCoist and who would have replaced him had we not been so patient . You could argue Mark Hateley and John Brown are pretty much in the same boat . 

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No, but perhaps his priorities were a bit off, 

1. Win game.

2. Rest numerous regular starters

3. Give minutes to fringe squad players 

4. Give youths their debuts.

Imo those were his priorities, good ones, and successfully achieved.

Itten like Hagi may well go on to great success with us but both need to take opportunities given to them even if not in their preferred role.

Gerrard knows he can rely on Defoe to deliver, so its unsurprising he gets the nod over Itten. And given our priority is silverware its right to focus on players likelier to do that now rather than projects.

Itten had chances to shine at the weekend. The one he was central and could have passed to Defoe but ran into traffic really let him down. I'm sure he'll come good, I actually really like the look of him, but him and Hagi don't deserve more than they're getting from Gerrard currently.

Itten clearly has technical ability and the physical attributes to be a success in Scotland. Anybody who says he is shite clearly doesn’t understand football. Yes he is underperforming (unfamiliar system, unnatural position etc.) but people saying he’s shite? Christ. 

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

1. Win game.

2. Rest numerous regular starters

3. Give minutes to fringe squad players 

4. Give youths their debuts.

Imo those were his priorities, good ones, and successfully achieved.

Itten like Hagi may well go on to great success with us but both need to take opportunities given to them even if not in their preferred role.

Gerrard knows he can rely on Defoe to deliver, so its unsurprising he gets the nod over Itten. And given our priority is silverware its right to focus on players likelier to do that now rather than projects.

Itten had chances to shine at the weekend. The one he was central and could have passed to Defoe but ran into traffic really let him down. I'm sure he'll come good, I actually really like the look of him, but him and Hagi don't deserve more than they're getting from Gerrard currently.

Its hard to deserve more when you get 6 or 7 minutes in league games, when they are all but done, in an unnatural position, or in hagis case dont even get they minutes, then flung into a disjointed team and on a shitty pitch 

Yeah defoe delivers, but he wont be in 2 years most likely

Defoe could easily retire next summer, morelos will likely be sold, leaves us itten and roofexand even if we buy another strikers, thats still only roofe who'll be fully settled in our system in his position

6 hours ago, Bronzy said:

I’m one of them and learned my lesson :lol: 

Archived