Player departures that stuck in your throat

ready1873

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Nicky Law. 

Took lots of stick from Gers fans, and the myth he did us no good continues to grow even nowadays. 

Was quite simply the standout player for us in the banter years and along with Wallace should get more credit for helping us haul slowly back in to the  the top division whilst playing in teams full of journeymen, cloggers and has beens.

Deserved better. 

He did an interview with Chris Jack and the guy from Four Lads Had a Dream which was actually a good listen. He sounded a bit down about a lot of his time with us, naturally as he went through some real shite games and is part of the history we don't wish to remember.

To be honest, many of those guys will never be given the credit. He played his part in getting us back up the leagues, and for me, though I don't like thinking about those seasons, many of the players who played their part hold a significant place in our history. Personal sacrifice albeit for financial gain for many of them - but they put on the jersey and they brought us back to the top league, however shoddily they did it.

3 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Left a bit too swiftly for my liking, nearly ran out the door and that left a bit of a sour taste.

Especially after he won poty and said he wanted to stay at Rangers for a long time. Not sure what happened there. 

43 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Nicky Law. 

Took lots of stick from Gers fans, and the myth he did us no good continues to grow even nowadays. 

Was quite simply the standout player for us in the banter years and along with Wallace should get more credit for helping us haul slowly back in to the  the top division whilst playing in teams full of journeymen, cloggers and has beens.

Deserved better. 

image.thumb.gif.06ba2470ae11eeee8a989d0a9f1f0b4d.gif

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Gazza for me . 

Madness selling him halfway through the season when we're neck and neck with the tarriers . Wasn't great that season tbf , but he's one of those kind of players that can still turn a game in a moment of brilliance , and just once would have done us that season . 

Selling  Colin Stein and Willie Johnston was a sore one . Not just because they scored the goals that won us the ECWC a few months previously but both heroes of mine as a youngster . 

+1

57 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I thought selling Albertz , Gio , Tugay and Reyna within months of each other would have had more of an impact than it did when you see the quality of them . Thankfully we recovered sooner than I feared . 

Albertz for me too. Iirc, Advocaat didn't care for him that much and frequently left him out of the team. Loved the Hammer.

Just now, Prso's headband said:

Sure i cried when Barry Ferguson left, my idol. 

Can’t really remember my reaction the first time, probably gret anaw tbf, but was beyond gutted the second time.

Davis and Naismith. Could add McGregor as well but those two were my favourites at the time. Found a top with Davis on it recently in the cupboard as well :lol: 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Can’t really remember my reaction the first time, probably gret anaw tbf, but was beyond gutted the second time.

Davis and Naismith. Could add McGregor as well but those two were my favourites at the time. Found a top with Davis on it recently in the cupboard as well :lol: 

The first time I was 9 so absolute certainty I cried both times 😂. Only one that’s came close to it was Jelavic, best striker I’ve seen that I can remember in my lifetime that’s for sure. 

Archived