Centre Midfield

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We have a goalscoring mid, he's just either not playing or playing in the sitting 3 the now, arfield still has a great engine, and knows what he is doing up the park (his goal at home to standard is what we are screaming out for) 

Arfield is fine for SPL, i’m meaning if we’re looking at Champions league qualifiers.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We rely way to much on Davis even forgetting his age. The only player who comes close to his ability to control a midfield is Jack and his fitness is suspect.

6 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

Definitely one of our weakest areas today. Really need a ball carrier, someone who can take the ball 20/30 yards and break lines. I haven't seen any of that today. Aribo was doing it earlier in the season but seems to be in two minds in what to do everything he has the ball at his feet.

Eh? Kent must have done that at least three or four times during the match.

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

He’s on loan at Wycombe mate wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. 

Aye, not even on the bench at the bottom side in the league, so I doubt he’ll be challenging for a place in the starting eleven next season. Might even be young enough to be part of the Rangers Colts set up, if that goes ahead this year. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We have a goalscoring mid, he's just either not playing or playing in the sitting 3 the now, arfield still has a great engine, and knows what he is doing up the park (his goal at home to standard is what we are screaming out for) 

Arfield on form is a great asset to us, and also worth a few goals a season running in behind the forwards. However, even apart from injury (maybe even to do with injuries) he's too inconsistent through a whole season. 

I think we definitely need two quality additions to midfield. I would like at least one of them to have the ability to shoot, and score from outside the box, something we've lacked for a while. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

A hard bastard of a ball winning midfielder, and a proper box to box player. 

Build the side around Hagi. 

Build it around Kent imo, but would certainly keep Hagi unless there was an absolutely ridiculous offer for him.

That ball to Kent's volley is one no one else in Scotland sees.

Just now, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Arfield on form is a great asset to us, and also worth a few goals a season running in behind the forwards. However, even apart from injury (maybe even to do with injuries) he's too inconsistent through a whole season. 

I think we definitely need two quality additions to midfield. I would like at least one of them to have the ability to shoot from outside the box, something we've lacked for a while. 

Arfields inconsistencies i put down to him being moved position constantly, pre injury he had a run as a number ten and was on fire

3 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Build it around Kent imo, but would certainly keep Hagi unless there was an absolutely ridiculous offer for him.

That ball to Kent's volley is one no one else in Scotland sees.

Yip, I seen Kents run at the time, but for him to see it in the middle of  that was a great bit of vision. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Our system isnt based on a ball carrier though, its based on us playing out, using the 3 sitting mids to play it and find space, then work it up to either our number tens or out wide to the flying fullbacks

To accomodate a midfielder who'll carry it for 30 yards (the way mcgregor does for them) we'd need to change our system, and that's not worth the bother

I get your point but you need more than one option. Balogun is not a flying fullback and when Patterson came on neither he or Barisic really threatened from the wide areas. In fact Barasic spent more time turning back and passing back into the midfield. The midfield then we're quite easily dispossed of the ball. He brought Arfield on to inject some energy but it didn't really happen.

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Hahahaha, no pls no.

Dunno why not, hagi has something the others don't, he tries the unpredictable that often might not come off so looks bad, but when it does it usually provides us with a chance or a goal, 

A 3 man attacking mid, kent on the left, hagi middle and wright on the right, all running at the opposition and piling forward pressing them, young, hungry midfield we can tweak and have years left in them

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Can’t call it a shambles man. We’re undefeated. 

Agreed. It’s certainly not a shambles, it’s just an area where we need to strengthen because we’ll be looking at a step up in quality in Europe and it’s highly unlikely that celtic will be as bad as they have been this season again next year.

Would still like us to go and get a bit more pace for the wide right position.

However we aren’t far away and we are building a team to go and win the next 2/3 league titles.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Can’t call it a shambles man. We’re undefeated. 

Aribo in midfield drives me nuts mate. Today and in most big games the midfield are hopeless. 

We need 2 real quality midfield to supplement the guys already there. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Arfields inconsistencies i put down to him being moved position constantly, pre injury he had a run as a number ten and was on fire

In that respect maybe Aribo should be dropped and Arfield played so he gets more game time before we play them again.

I said in another thread before today's game I prefer Arfield to Aribo in these games and based on Aribo performance today that's probably best. 

Aribo great option at centre mid against 10 of the teams in the SPL but that’s it 

Far too often he’s going missing against the scum and in Europe. We really need players like him to be getting their foot on the ball and making things happen in these games but that’s twice in a week he’s gone hiding in big games. Love him as a player but he needs to man up and put some kind of urgency into his game 

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Dunno why not, hagi has something the others don't, he tries the unpredictable that often might not come off so looks bad, but when it does it usually provides us with a chance or a goal, 

A 3 man attacking mid, kent on the left, hagi middle and wright on the right, all running at the opposition and piling forward pressing them, young, hungry midfield we can tweak and have years left in them

Because I don't think he's anywhere near close to being good enough to build a team around.

I think if we can get £5million plus for Aribo we should sell. 

Flatters to deceive and can’t play CM unless it’s against bottom half teams. 

Nice lad, but doesn’t appear to have that drive to succeed with us. I could see him doing better a club with less pressure that doesn’t need to win each week

18 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

In that respect maybe Aribo should be dropped and Arfield played so he gets more game time before we play them again.

I said in another thread before today's game I prefer Arfield to Aribo in these games and based on Aribo performance today that's probably best. 

Totally agree, arfield at least has fight in him as well, if it resorts to a battle id rather be in trenches with arfield than aribo

Archived