Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

Im telling you, we are EPL bound.

They are going to be desperate for both us and them to join down there to bring the Old Firm (ironic given they hate the term) derby to their league to fill the void.

I actually think this is an amazing chance for us. Will have the likes of Everton, Southampton, Newcastle etc.

4 minutes ago, chrism_scotland said:

Yeah, doesn't replace domestic cups, leagues etc

I read it's to be a mid week competition. Wtf will they be doing at the weekend if they cant play in their respective domestic leagues? 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

They are going to be desperate for both us and them to join down there to bring the Old Firm (ironic given they hate the term) derby to their league to fill the void.

I actually think this is an amazing chance for us. Will have the likes of Everton, Southampton, Newcastle etc.

Please stop 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

That would be superb as well. 

Just now, Bronzy said:

I get the feeling @Hadron Collider has lived in Canada for too long to realise that absolutely nobody outside of North America wants what is basically a franchise league with no relegation.

It’s basically the big preseason tournament all these clubs have every summer whilst they’re over in America/Asia 

2 minutes ago, chrism_scotland said:

Well unless they get kicked out why would they not play in their domestic league?

I dont see an issue then tbh. Just sounds like an updated version of the Champions League without all the diddy teams in it. If they can still play domestic football on a weekend then what's the big hooha

2 minutes ago, chrism_scotland said:

UEFA can't stop a team playing in a domestic league though, they would need the FA/EPL (or Italian, Spanish equivalent) to get on board to kick them out surely?

Don't know mate, but from what I've read they seem quite confident they can.

Also talk about UEFA and FIFA banning the participating clubs' players from international tournaments.

1 minute ago, chrism_scotland said:

UEFA can't stop a team playing in a domestic league though, they would need the FA/EPL (or Italian, Spanish equivalent) to get on board to kick them out surely?

Pretty sure they can.

They can ban the league from having any place in their European tournaments anyway.

Only way round it would be if this new super league puts on an alternative to the Europa etc. Basically taking away the role of Uefa all together.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Don't know mate, but from what I've read they seem quite confident they can.

Also talk about FIFA banning the participating clubs' players from international tournaments.

Just had a read, I think they may indeed, it seems the English FA need to approve any competition a team plays in, I assume they could give the 6 clubs a League or Super League ultimatum 

Remember all the managers of big clubs moaning about fixture congestion and how long the season is in its current format.

Now they are all signing up to a new competition that will take anywhere between 24-26 games to win. At the moment if you enter at the group stage (which most of the big clubs do) then the Champions League takes 13 games to win in its current format.

Potentially adding a further 11 games to what is already a crammed season.

Shambles :lol: