Does anyone know why the European Cup final was played before the Cup Winners Cup one back in 1967?

Thermopylae

1 minute ago, Thermopylae said:

I don't know if it was as much the convention back then to finish the season with the EC as it is now but it was a big advantage to the great unwashed to get their trophie in the cabinet before we played 

Why was the European Cup final played before the Cup Winners Cup one back in 1967 (qm) surely an advantage to the great unwashed.jpg

Huge uefa conspiracy 

9 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Huge uefa conspiracy 

I always feel a bit sad that this final has been largely forgotten becaue the result didn't go our way but it doesn't get much harder than having to play a German team in Germany and I think the soap dodgers picking up big luggy a few days before must have piled on the pressure ... anyway 5 years later we put out an even better Bayern team and all Beckenbauer could do was complain about the wind :lol:

Was a final we could have won but for what I will call 'selection politics'. There were a few missed opportunities back in 60s in Europe for us. The season Baxter got his leg broke, had that not happened we may well have won the big cup before them. Small margins and sliding doors :pierre::pipe:

56 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Was a final we could have won but for what I will call 'selection politics'. There were a few missed opportunities back in 60s in Europe for us. The season Baxter got his leg broke, had that not happened we may well have won the big cup before them. Small margins and sliding doors :pierre::pipe:

Yip lost 3-2 in the quarters to Inter, most stories from back then were that a Rangers side with Baxter playing would have seen us through, the very fact that Inter went on to win the trophy would certainly lay claim that we probably wouldn't have been far away....such a shame as we all know we will never get a chance like that ever again 

2 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Yip lost 3-2 in the quarters to Inter, most stories from back then were that a Rangers side with Baxter playing would have seen us through, the very fact that Inter went on to win the trophy would certainly lay claim that we probably wouldn't have been far away....such a shame as we all know we will never get a chance like that ever again 

Sounds silly but you can never be too sure.

PSG and Man City even Leicester fans probably never dreamed they’d be where they are today 15 years ago. 

The bubble has to burst eventually, just look at the ridiculous debts Real Madrid and Barcelona are mounting up. People will eventually get sick of watching the same clubs playing each other at the top table every year as well

I’m not saying that’s going to lead to us having a shot at winning the Champions League but never say never. 

10 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

I don't know if it was as much the convention back then to finish the season with the EC as it is now but it was a big advantage to the great unwashed to get their trophie in the cabinet before we played 

Why was the European Cup final played before the Cup Winners Cup one back in 1967 (qm) surely an advantage to the great unwashed.jpg

Was celtic's first goal in Lisbon offside?

Back then all you needed was someone in an offside position for offside to be given and there's at least one of them offside unless there is someone not in the picture playing them onside.

17 hours ago, Canabear said:

Was celtic's first goal in Lisbon offside?

Back then all you needed was someone in an offside position for offside to be given and there's at least one of them offside unless there is someone not in the picture playing them onside.

Always thought that.

Never mentioned much, is it!

My granda always told me this story, and for the record it wouldn’t be fucking me, but he hang about wae his cousins and they are tarriers, they talked him And his brother into cheering them on the European cup final, which they did 🙄, on the basis the tarriers would cheer rangers on against Bayern.  The cunts did the opposite and my granda never spoke to them again. 

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

My granda always told me this story, and for the record it wouldn’t be fucking me, but he hang about wae his cousins and they are tarriers, they talked him And his brother into cheering them on the European cup final, which they did 🙄, on the basis the tarriers would cheer Rangers on against Bayern.  The cunts did the opposite and my granda never spoke to them again. 

Grandson Of A Tarrier-Cheerer?  :p:

Can’t remember why the finals were different way round from way they are now but don’t think it was a one off.  If memory serves me correctly one or both of the ECWC finals involving Man City and Chelsea circa 70 & 71 were quite late on in the spring.  Also, think our Fairs Cup semi-final games against Newcastle 1969 and the subsequent final were pretty late on too.

Their semifinal against Dukla Prague and ours against Slavia Sofia in 67 were on the same day so it wasn’t as if it was carried through from the earlier rounds.

Edit:  my memory has let me down.  Chelsea final 71 was quite late but EC final was later.