Change of captaincy GIO, just for starters

falkirkNS

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I've been saying it for years only for the stats brigade to jump to his defend.

If you take 20 corners, free kicks and penalties a game, the chances are you will get stats. But for every good ball played, there are ten overplayed or underplayed passes. 

He has missed the most penalties in club history but his ego demands he take the next one.

When we are losing, he is no where to be found and some of his post-match interviews have been embarrassing for a captain.

He is the most overrated player at the club and is a big part of the problem.

In his defence, he has scored some crackers, is seldom injured and is a good athlete.  I don't dislike the man, I've just never been keen on the player.

Agree with what you say and like you have seen the same things you point out but what I'm having an issue with after that was the fact that Ryan Jack was the face on TV screens being interviewed after the game despite being out for months with an injury then coming on at half-time when the game was for all intents and purposes over.

Where was the Captain , shouldn't he have been the one to come out and explain what went wrong in that first half?

Instead it was left to Jack , who looked absolutely gutted , hurt and embarrassed , to explain away a first half performance that he never took part in.

For me that is not right at all. Doesn't matter what we think of the Captain or whether he should be Captain but after a performance and result like that I expect to hear from him.

So back in Barry Ferguson time, 2nd spell I think, we were in similar position. Performance poor, looked slow , pedestrian, lacking in confidence. At that time I said to drop ferguson to howls of derision on another board. I said if he was dropped we would go on to win the league. Ferguson was  dropped and we won the league. 

We need another major change to wake the players out of this lethargy. For me the obvious one is to make someone else the captain. 

That wont fix it on its own, but that plus using CBs at CB and FBs at FB (eg bassey), along with a ramsaay/jack charged midfield should be enough to give players the feeling that there has been a change and they are starting with a new slat and that they themselves can see a reason why performances should improve. 

Dont underestimate the psychological/confidence problems. A vocal , aggressive captain is vital to us now. 

10 hours ago, Ladytonbear said:

^This. 
What is more telling is that Tav has been our club captain for 3 1/2 years and there is no one player we have waiting in the wings ready to replace him. Surely that lack of forward planning has to be a failure of management?

Its a new manager, if he replaced tav i doubt anyone would complain, new managers will have their take on the team

Cant really blame management for not having a replacement captaib when they have only been here for what 9 or 10 weeks? 

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its a new manager, if he replaced tav i doubt anyone would complain, new managers will have their take on the team

Cant really blame management for not having a replacement captaib when they have only been here for what 9 or 10 weeks? 

Not blaming GVB for the fact that he has no readily identifiable replacement - but not having some sort of plan in place for when Tav leaves or is removed after more than 3 years   and allowing this to become a single point of failure  is down to wider club management 

Gio here the first time watched the changing of the captaincy from Amoruso to Ferguson. It was for different reasons, but it worked. There's no shame in it. There's greater pride in acknowledging something isn't working and changing it before its too late. The thing though is Tavernier is too mentally weak and could crumble unlike Amo, which would kill his career.

14 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Just give it to someone with balls, ferguson was what, twenty years old when he got it? Arfield might leave in summer or next year, but as captain you can be sure he'd have ripped a few if not all of them apart last night for an hour after the game, tav probably got changed in the corner and went home to play cod

Modern day pansie with no links to our club.

Whilst Calum McGregor brought up in a Ra gers family.... work a mask as captain in pain just for the jersey.

Can you imagine tav? Not a fucking chance, hed be rubbing his outs at the get out clause 

7 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

Gio here the first time watched the changing of the captaincy from Amoruso to Ferguson. It was for different reasons, but it worked. There's no shame in it. There's greater pride in acknowledging something isn't working and changing it before its too late. The thing though is Tavernier is too mentally weak and could crumble unlike Amo, which would kill his career.

Fuck tav and his career, no one is bigger than the club, not in the past, not now, not ever, if tav cannot handle a fucking armband taken off him then drop him, play sands or balogun there or whatever, 

If tav is too mentally weak to lose the captaincy, then no wonder he cowers away in big games like last night and sheep away, all they fana shouting thinga at him must hurt his feelings

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Fuck tav and his career, no one is bigger than the club, not in the past, not now, not ever, if tav cannot handle a fucking armband taken off him then drop him, play sands or balogun there or whatever, 

If tav is too mentally weak to lose the captaincy, then no wonder he cowers away in big games like last night and sheep away, all they fana shouting thinga at him must hurt his feelings

I agree. I realised the way I said it was like I was defending him, I'm not. He needs to lose it. I'd rather we bled the new guy in than face him leading out this team again. He's a joke of a captain. 

Too many of you put too much importance into who is captain.

Tav seems universally liked and respected by the squad. He represents the club well.

He's also ever-present in the way that Jack and Arfield can't be.

You don't need the armband to lead men, whether it's Tav or Jack or Arfield or whoever there is room for multiple leaders and multiple players to take the team or game by the scruff of the neck.

Replacing him mid-season is just a ridiculous call that would be embarrassing as fuck and would have no good come from it.

Any cunt who thinks otherwise is deluded.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Tav seems universally liked and respected by the squad. He represents the club well.

You don't need the armband to lead men, whether it's Tav or Jack or Arfield or whoever there is room for multiple leaders and multiple players to take the team or game by the scruff of the neck.

Replacing him mid-season is just a ridiculous call that would be embarrassing as fuck and would have no good come from it.

A captain is massively important to the make-up of a team.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Bullshit! Maybe he should wear a mask instead. 

14 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

No surprise a couple of auld yins stuck decades back think this way.

Captains like Greig, Gough or Ferguson galvanized the players around them.

Maybe you are right, players are certainly more pampered these days. There are not many Sergio Ramos' kicking about these days. The game needs some.

What I do know is Tavernier is not a leader.

41 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I honestly don’t think Tavernier would be that disappointed to have the armband taken off him. 

Would be relieved, that is serious.

If the wheels fall off, i reckon hed have his agent sounding out clubs for the summer restructure...

Tav is equal top with Morelos in the assists/goals chart with a combined total of 19. By comparison, Barasic has 3.  So whilst the captaincy is fair discussion, I do think his worth to us in goal contributions can't be underestimated.  I'd think twice about wanting him gone. And Gio should think twice about wanting him to be more defensively minded which goes against everything Tav has done for the last 6 years with us.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

So your saying every cunt is responsible so no cunt is. Right.

15 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Aye, in a squad of strong personalities and quality players

If you change it now you basically lose Tavernier for the rest of the season along with all his "pals" in the squad, we can't afford to do that

Sounds alot like Le Guen. 

3 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

No surprise a couple of auld yins stuck decades back think this way.

You’re usually spot on bud but i’d need to disagree with you here. Did Tav even put in a meaningful tackle? He didnt even pull rank for the pre match interview; ive seen the arguments that he might not have been selected but he shouldve and could have insisted. 
I like the guy and he’s a good player on his day and when he can play to his strengths, but the captain you want leading you into a battle infront of 60k he is not

2 hours ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

So your saying every cunt is responsible so no cunt is. Right.

Naw, he’s saying Richard Gough had an Ally McCoist, a John Brown, an Ian Ferguson…its a fair point, who’s our other leaders? Arfield, definitely. Jack, when he’s fit. Mcgregor, possibly. Goldson? Debatable. Then who?

4 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

I honestly don’t think Tavernier would be that disappointed to have the armband taken off him. 

Personally I’d drop Tav and first game Ramsey plays, install him as captain.

Dead simple.

Nobody can argue that Tav doesn’t need dropped nor can they feel aggrieved if Ramsey is names captain with his experience and A list status.

If/when Tav returns Ramsey keeps the arm band and come the summer Ramsey keeps the captaincy if he stays or one of the new signings (Doehki/Souttar?) or Jack if fit becomes the main man.

Tav can concentrate on defending.