Midfield Control

CoplandRoad83

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s not just last night though.

We’ve failed to control games at Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and last night.

Can’t keep on going with Kamara, Arfield and Aribo and hoping something changes.

Agree with this. Any normal title chase, each old firm team would factor in an away defeat in the derby. That's not an excuse for last night however, we were rank. If we compete, play well, keep our shape, an away defeat in this fixture, I can live with, grudgingly. Performances aside, our problem is the amount of points pissed away against the others this season.   

We would’ve controlled that midfield with ease if the correct players were picked for the correct tactics. 

A midfield of Kamara Jack and Arfield even for 70 minutes controls that game and calms it down. 

We went ultra attacking but set up defensively, mind boggling stuff it really is

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

We would’ve controlled that midfield with ease if the correct players were picked for the correct tactics. 

A midfield of Kamara Jack and Arfield even for 70 minutes controls that game and calms it down. 

We went ultra attacking but set up defensively, mind boggling stuff it really is

This! Gio seems to love the gane extremely stretched. It's such a roll of the dice as we seen at Pittodrie, Dingwall and last night!

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s not just last night though.

We’ve failed to control games at Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and last night.

Can’t keep on going with Kamara, Arfield and Aribo and hoping something changes.

Bang on. This result and performance  was coming and we fucking certainly got our arses handed to us. Gio, wake the fuck up and get this title delivered! 

This doesnt apply to last night necessarily but need to start pressing high up and using players in roles that suit their attributes and hide their flaws. The best example of the latter is the full backs.

I thought the same last season but at home we need one holder and away from home I'd prefer if we had two. It's our starting position that matters most for me.

4 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

Jack wanted to be out there having barely played in a year, superstar Kamara didn't. We've all demanded we don't need 2 CDMs, maybe we do.

I think it’s horses for courses. 

2 CDM away at Pittodrie and Park head and in Europe. Basically whenever you think the opposition will do a high press and/or you think you will have less possession. Less need at home to Livi.

Kamara is a great player but asking a lot for him to control the game on his own against a high press.

We need to be starting Kamara and Jack together. Probably Arfield slightly ahead. And Aribo instead of Dallio cutting in from the right. He’s wasted in CM

We really need to go back to the Gerrard way for now, until we have the players to play the way gio wants (whatever that may be)

Wide players far too wide, cam not getting anywhere near close enough to the cf! Leaving them totally isolated.

Tav Bassey bombing forward Jack Kamara covering for them, n getting Ramsey Aribo Kent, Diallo in and around Morelos with Tav Bassey providing the width

From 2-1 to 3-2 up against County we played the Gerrard way n it was good to watch.

7 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

We really need to go back to the Gerrard way for now, until we have the players to play the way gio wants (whatever that may be)

Wide players far too wide, cam not getting anywhere near close enough to the cf! Leaving them totally isolated.

Tav Bassey bombing forward Jack Kamara covering for them, n getting Ramsey Aribo Kent, Diallo in and around Morelos with Tav Bassey providing the width

Also could be time drop the lb postion completely .

Goldson Balogun Bassey

Tav           Jack       Ramsey        Kent

Aribo

Morelos      Roofe

11 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

I think it’s horses for courses. 

2 CDM away at Pittodrie and Park head and in Europe. Basically whenever you think the opposition will do a high press and/or you think you will have less possession. Less need at home to Livi.

Kamara is a great player but asking a lot for him to control the game on his own against a high press.

We need to be starting Kamara and Jack together. Probably Arfield slightly ahead. And Aribo instead of Dallio cutting in from the right. He’s wasted in CM

Agreed. It is. I actually thought it was the right team, if we were going to play our game. But we were going to sit in with 1 DM which was just asking fit trouble, especially when that 1 DM doesn't track runners 

Overall we haven’t struggled though.  This is the first in 7 against them we have lost and were undefeated last season.  Lots of knee jerk reactions popping up.  Last night was woeful, but I honestly believe that was due to playing people out of position, poor selection and the unexplainable decision to sit back from the start.  You never control a MF if you set up to defend from the off and stand back from them.  

Where has Davis disappeared to? I haven't heard anything about him being injured.

I think we need to go with Jack and Ramsey in the middle to help Kamara. Aribo needs to play further forward so possibly in Diallo's position but I suspect Diallo will have some agreement in his contract to play most of the games.

16 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Overall we haven’t struggled though.  This is the first in 7 against them we have lost and were undefeated last season.  Lots of knee jerk reactions popping up.  Last night was woeful, but I honestly believe that was due to playing people out of position, poor selection and the unexplainable decision to sit back from the start.  You never control a MF if you set up to defend from the off and stand back from them.  

Who played out of position? With the exception of Bassey who has been playing centre half for over a month. 

I think as soon as Ramsey is ready it'll be Jack Kamara Ramsey with Aribo and Kent/Diallo in the wide positions.

I never loved the idea of the Jack Davis Kamara midfield under Gerrard but think something like that would have worked a lot better last night. They play with inverted full backs so the middle of the pitch is hard enough to control as it is. I love Arfield but we weren't getting forward enough to utilise his strengths. 

I'm dreading the game against Hearts, especially as those cunts play first and can from 6 points behind to 4 points ahead in a matter of mere weeks. 

On the flip side we can right a few wrongs with a big performance and scoreline.

It's suprise last night our best opportunity in the first half with the though ball to Arfield came when started to string some passes together.

Tav and Borna both got higher which stretched the pitch, Kent and Diallo came centrally along with Roofe dropping deep which moved celtic around and then left a huge gap.

It was the only time we managed to overload celtic at any point where as they were overloading us down both sides with 3v2s on each wing and in the half spaces pretty regularly

Yip, we totally lost the midfield battle and it cost us any chance in the game.

I like both Aribo and Arfield but they're both better in the opposition half than their own. For games like last night we need one or the other.

Jack, and if not fit enough, Lundstram should of been our deepest central midfielder. With Kamara on the left and Aribo on the right.

In previous Old Firm games their right winger would have to get by Kamara before getting at the full back. There was absolutely no protection for the full backs last night.