*****Official St Johnstone vs Rangers match thread*****

.Williamson.

58 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

That was a really hard watch, in fact it looked like relegation battle between two dire teams. At times it was hard to guess which team was second in the league and which was second bottom.

I know our bench was not that good but surely some of them could have come on and been able to string a couple of passes to team mates. 
Delighted to escape with 3 points but worrying about our manager, his tactics, his lack of decision and seemingly lack of passion. It was scary after the Parkhead game when he seemed happy to accept the result and performance and the lack of urgency or willingness to freshen during games makes me doubt his commitment.

It's weird. We were shite tonight but battered Dun utd and M'well but got the 3 points tonight. Good, but ffs! 

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

I was out tonight and half expected to check the result and see we dropped points, so I'm just thankful for the 3 points. Was it as bad as is being made out?

It wasn’t so much the performance people are annoyed with, it is the fact the manager didn’t put in a single sub when some of our players were completely shattered.

It felt like he was either scared to make changes or didn’t trust the bench.

5 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

It wasn’t so much the performance people are annoyed with, it is the fact the manager didn’t put in a single sub when some of our players were completely shattered.

It felt like he was either scared to make changes or didn’t trust the bench.

I think Lowry should feature a wee bit more. Bar that, don't think the bench was great tonight mate. 

9 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

It's weird. We were shite tonight but battered Dun utd and M'well but got the 3 points tonight. Good, but ffs! 

I’ve seen nights in here where we batter a team but they get a spawny goal or have a wonder strike, we drop points and everyone is fuming.

I’ve also seen diabolical performances where we win and people go home happy.

Tonight doesn’t feel like the latter. It feels like a realisation that we won’t win the league if things go on as they are (despite some of our play in recent matches being very good)

Just now, BlueThunder said:

I’ve seen nights in here where we batter a team but they get a spawny goal or have a wonder strike, we drop points and everyone is fuming.

I’ve also seen diabolical performances where we win and people go home happy.

Tonight doesn’t feel like the latter. It feels like a realisation that we won’t win the league if things go on as they are (despite some of our play in recent matches being very good)

You've summed that up really well:thumbup: I still have hope, but have seen commentators in the EPL saying earlier in the season, usually the team with the best GD will be the team that wins the league. Its hard to go against that, but it can happen. 

4 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

You've summed that up really well:thumbup: I still have hope, but have seen commentators in the EPL saying earlier in the season, usually the team with the best GD will be the team that wins the league. Its hard to go against that, but it can happen. 

It’s pretty much 4 points. Motherwell should have been the game where the goal difference was eaten into but we obviously fucked it. Performances aren’t good enough to suggest we can turn this around. Saturday will be another slog 

Was a shite game in general, don’t think the surface helped at all. Seen better fields in a farm. Tbh never really felt threatened. Don’t get the not making any subs thing, thought Arfeild looked knackered and Aribo hasn’t been upto much this calendar year yet. But after dropping points the last two games, albeit they were better performances I was happy enough to take the three points and move on too Saturday. Will be their cup final. 

I'll quite happily take pish 1-0s like that until the end of the season. 

Players looked knackered though. Looking at our fixture list over the next month or so it's worrying our lack of back up options. We're struggling at the level we're at now, and it's difficult to see the current mainly used starting holding up at that for much longer. And that includes two European games they'll inevitably step up a higher level for. 

We need Ramsey in making the contribution we paid a lot for. Jack would be ideal, but honestly he's been out so long it's hard to see how he'll be consistent this season, or ever again. 

Arfields looking particularly done in, but then realistically he's a back up already. Not sure on he paper he'd be in the first 11 of our team.

11 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Never looked like scoring a secobd yet hit the post and arfield missed what, two good chances, so never looked like scoring a second is a bit far fetched

Fair enough, we probably should have scored 2 or 3 last night but for poor finishing/Alfredo hitting the post :tu:

I realize it was never going to be silky on that ploughed field masquerading as a football pitch but we were poor against a honking side.

As always though I'm very happy to leave with the 3 pionts, that's by far the most important thing, especially at the business end of the season.

Terrible game on a leveller of a pitch. There is no doubt that a pitch like that will always favor the poorer team. Hard to set ant sort of passing tempo and it degenerates into a scrappy slog. Been games like it before and will again. A good 3 points but it cant be ignored that the signs arent good with the subs. Thought it was mental that it took till 80 odd minutes on sunday and to not make any at all last night seemed mental and tempting fate.

39 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Did St Johnstone have a touch in our box in the second half? Genuinely can’t remember 

Barely, but that didnt stop absolutely woeful defending almost turning a basic punt up the park clearance into a scramble that almost resulted in an equaliser.

9 hours ago, MisterC said:

I thought it was a good win in difficult circumstances against a good team who made it hard for us. I think we just need to calm down and celebrate a great victory. With everything going on in Ukraine you can forgive the players for maybe being distracted by that

Grasping a bit there.

14 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Barely, but that didnt stop absolutely woeful defending almost turning a basic punt up the park clearance into a scramble that almost resulted in an equaliser.

St Johnstone offered nothing but we still looked incredibly edgy everytime they were anywhere near our box. You did get the impression there was a mistake waiting to happen. Anyone else apart from them and maybe Dundee and we would probably have conceded 

7 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Grasping a bit there.

This. Even if Mad Vlad was to push the button our only concern should be that the pitch was clear of any radioactive fallout. No excuses for not focusing on the job at hand once the whistle blows, no matter what is going on elsewhere, which in this World means something horrible happening somewhere every day of the year.

37 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Genuinely never thought we would lose a goal, pitch was awful and certainly a leveller. We should have scored more and the manager should have made changes to freshen it and give us an out ball. It’s 3 points on the board though and hopefully never speak of the game again. 🤣

10 hours ago, MisterC said:

I thought it was a good win in difficult circumstances against a good team who made it hard for us. I think we just need to calm down and celebrate a great victory. With everything going on in Ukraine you can forgive the players for maybe being distracted by that

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, MisterC said:

il_794xN.2302154940_8ydj.thumb.jpg.84f0d7fc85bf891df4677f3330971896.jpg

2 hours ago, WWTC said:

Aye but surely we arent blaming gio for that, if he was to replace players who made a mistake like our defence did our backline against the sheep would resemble the annan starting backline

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye but surely we arent blaming gio for that, if he was to replace players who made a mistake like our defence did our backline against the sheep would resemble the annan starting backline

No not at all, it was a complete mix up, i’m only blaming him for making no subs, being unable to influence or change the pattern of the game, and having a “hope for the best” attitude. 

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

No not at all, it was a complete mix up, i’m only blaming him for making no subs, being unable to influence or change the pattern of the game, and having a “hope for the best” attitude. 

The pattern of the game that st johnstone weren't even close to breaking us down other than a defensive calamity? Given we were complete negating them in an attacking sense he probably bricked it from changing things incase the changes made it worse for us

Wether we like it or not, his lack of changes etc resulted in a clean sheet and 3pts away from home