Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

2 hours ago, Bronzy said:

My biggest problem with him is that he sets us up to play as if we’re Feyenoord. We aren’t the equivalent of Feyenoord in Scotland, the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen are. The fact Gio won them their first title in about 20 years sums up why he’s struggling with us, he was at a club where the main aim was getting a European spot and maybe winning a cup here and there.

I saw someone else mention this, and it’s pretty accurate - he’s like a Dutch Unai Emery. He’s reactive to the opposition’s weaknesses rather than proactively imposing his strengths and style on them. That’s fine in Europe and in the cups, but over a 38 game league season against sides who are perfectly happy to sit in and play for a draw, it’s horrendous to watch.

I said something similar to this earlier on in this thread. I think he’s actually a decent coach, but he’s not a good coach for club who are expected to win every week.

8 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

No the manager decides how his team lines up - he doesnt say oh my youth team dont play that formation so I cant - fucking ridiculous comment

Gerrard implemented the high pressing style which was then encouraged to be rolled out across all teams through to the youth.

They do all need to go thats the only sensible thing you have said 

Yes that's right the youth team dictate how the 1st team play. That's exactly what I said. Arsehole.

Gerrard and the dof at the time implemented the style. The plan at the time was everyone doing the same thing so players could integrate seamlessly. If a new manager was required, they were already likely on a list due to having the same preference of style of play. Gio pretty much is playing that same style as Gerrard. 

We might appoint a manager with a different  type of football, that would then be rolled out across the teams. However seeing as they want continuity they've likely already got managers names that play 433 or a close variation of that.

You can be the big arsehole all you like but that was the point of the DoF, to ensure continuity, always having players/managers to fit the system.

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

He should be gone but imo there is no chance until next May at the earliest and here's why imo. 

This board backed Gerrard when he won nothing for 2 years. 

GVB has equalled Gerrards trophy Count in his first 6months in the job. 

GVB has recently got us to a European final and since now the champions league. 

No danger those in the boardroom are even thinking about sacking the manager imo. I genuinely feel that will only change if 2nd becomes a real battle. 

Long winter ahead troops! 

Nah, when the fans turn you’re done. Gerrards only real moment of that happening properly was immediately before covid finished football. 

Had covid not stopped football he was finished. Fans had turned after losing to Hearts and then at home to Hamilton. We had an old firm that coming weekend and there’s nothing to suggest we would have won it. 

I don’t remember a time before that when the whole fanbase was on board with getting rid of Gerrard. 

42 minutes ago, Mondraker said:

Yes that's right the youth team dictate how the 1st team play. That's exactly what I said. Arsehole.

Gerrard and the dof at the time implemented the style. The plan at the time was everyone doing the same thing so players could integrate seamlessly. If a new manager was required, they were already likely on a list due to having the same preference of style of play. Gio pretty much is playing that same style as Gerrard. 

We might appoint a manager with a different  type of football, that would then be rolled out across the teams. However seeing as they want continuity they've likely already got managers names that play 433 or a close variation of that.

You can be the big arsehole all you like but that was the point of the DoF, to ensure continuity, always having players/managers to fit the system.

No he doesn't at all. Just stop posting shite then you won't have to be corrected. 

42 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Nah, when the fans turn you’re done. Gerrards only real moment of that happening properly was immediately before covid finished football. 

Had covid not stopped football he was finished. Fans had turned after losing to Hearts and then at home to Hamilton. We had an old firm that coming weekend and there’s nothing to suggest we would have won it. 

I don’t remember a time before that when the whole fanbase was on board with getting rid of Gerrard. 

It’s interesting because I tend to agree with KingKirk regarding the board resolve but equally I felt that under Gerrard there was always progress. It’s the opposite with GVB. 

The fans are definitely turning, although not sure it’s open revolt yet but everyone at the club needs to be awake to how close that is. The atmosphere yesterday was the biggest warning so far and performances need to improve or the crowd will vote with their feet. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

No they won't. Even during the dark days of Ally at the helm we were still there filling the stadium.

I meant people start leaving in droves. Yesterday from 65 minutes on people were trickling away. That trickle will become a flow. It’s not easy to watch these games and people may still buy the tickets but they will voice their discontent and leave 

I always thought the succession plan over the next couple of years (based on GVB being a success with us) would be something along the lines of Pep to Spain / another career break, Arteta to Man City, GVB to Arsenal and Dave Vos stepping up to replace GVB. 

Gio won't be getting anywhere near the Arsenal job now but if we do bin him soon I think Vos will be given the job on an interim basis. I don't think him and Gio have any history together and he said previously at Ajax:

"I'm an attacking coach who wants to entertain the public. I always try to pass that on to my players.

"We play at a level where winning is linked to good football, that's the most important thing."

How we're playing under Gio is as far removed from that philosophy as possible so he can't be happy having to coach us that way. 

3 minutes ago, the brown brogue said:

I always thought the succession plan over the next couple of years (based on GVB being a success with us) would be something along the lines of Pep to Spain / another career break, Arteta to Man City, GVB to Arsenal and Dave Vos stepping up to replace GVB. 

Gio won't be getting anywhere near the Arsenal job now but if we do bin him soon I think Vos will be given the job on an interim basis. I don't think him and Gio have any history together and he said previously at Ajax:

"I'm an attacking coach who wants to entertain the public. I always try to pass that on to my players.

"We play at a level where winning is linked to good football, that's the most important thing."

How we're playing under Gio is as far removed from that philosophy as possible so he can't be happy having to coach us that way. 

He must be fuming every games on the bench then.

14 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If Gio was to go I'd want someone who plays similar football to Sporting Lisbon's manager who was at Braga when we beat them.

I don't think we're as attractive an option as most supporters seem to think though.

Bizarrely he’s already one of the most expensive managers of all time in terms of price tags. Sporting paid a crazy amount of compensation for him after only a few weeks in the job. 

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Not related to us at all but it’s going to be interesting to see who they go for. They seem to be a bit of a mess at the moment.

Agreed but they gave a good team and any decent manager should be able to keep them up which means they'll potentially attract some good candidates.

Any sort of survival this season will be viewed as a good first season which will be attractive to some names out there?

4 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Bizarrely he’s already one of the most expensive managers of all time in terms of price tags. Sporting paid a crazy amount of compensation for him after only a few weeks in the job. 

I'm only basing this on Braga against us and then Sporting against Spurs last week so haven't seen much but the way Sporting interchanged to make space and how quick they played was just a really refreshing style of football.

I've said it in a few different threads but the idea of Dyche or someone with a similar style to that would be dejecting as fuck.

Think it’s time for us to abandon the 4-3-3 at least for the short term.

We look shaky as fuck at the back and our wide players carry zero threat atm so what do we have to lose?

McGregor

Sands Goldson King

Tav Lundstram McCann Borna

Lawrence 

Colak Morelos