Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

12 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I’d not want Dyche, I think knutsen is the way to go:

“Knutsen’s calling card is possession football, an aggressive press and getting the best out of players on a small budget.

His preferred formation is 4-3-3 and his style has been compared to Jurgen Klopp’s gegenpress. Knutsen wants his team to win the ball as quickly as possible, make the pitch wide and exploit spaces with lighting quick attacks. 

You will not see many sideways or backwards passes from a Kjetil Knutsen led Brighton of the sort that would often frustrate the Amex crowd under Potter.

Knutsen places a strong emphasis on the mental side of the game. He appointed a former Norwegian air force pilot to his coaching staff at Bodø/Glimt with the job title of mental health coach.”

If Gio was to go, I wouldn't be against someone like Knutsen.

I do think though that many favour Dyche or someone in that mould but contradictingly are not happy with the style of play under Gio.

Gerrard improved us every season until the start of last season

We definitely hit a poor patch right before Covid and there will always be groans but I think the suggestions of him being sacked were in the early rumblings stage, not given up on him stage. Of which he definitely silenced in the next season. 

I think Gerrard did a good job first 2 seasons, terrific job in the 3rd, and signs of regression by the 4th. 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I do think though that many favour Dyche or someone in that mould but contradictingly are not happy with the style of play under Gio.

I think it’s that old school British manager that can motivate the team, but to be honest that wouldn’t last long.

Knutsen won the Norwegian league in 2020 with bodo/glimt scoring 103 in 30. He seems like a manager that wants to go at teams rather than ponderously pass around waiting for their defence to part like Moses and the Red Sea.

Just now, Broxi said:

Gerrard improved us every season until the start of last season

We definitely hit a poor patch right before Covid and there will always be groans but I believe suggestions of him being sacked were in the early rumblings stage. Of which he definitely silenced in the next season. 

I think Gerrard did a good job first 2 seasons, terrific job in the 3rd, and signs of regression by the 4th. 

Yip and even then he left us with a big gap at the top that Gio dwindled away. 

I predict the same couple of posters will say we would have surely dropped loads of points regardless 

5 minutes ago, molesmole said:

The true marker for any good managers -is players improving.

Can anyone tell me a player we have that Gio has improved?  Maybe give you Sands at a stretch 

I can list 4-5 that have regressed. 

It's the tell tale sign.

End/

Calvin Bassey

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Wouldn't think many folk would be wanting Dyche over someone like Knutsen. 

54 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don't fancy Dyche's brand of football but it's still better than what we are witnessing right now.

Couldn’t be much worse than having no football. I wonder if Dyche would play the same way, one of the reasons is I don’t think he will ever get a big job down South. So if he succeeds he could be really long term too. Good man manager too, would certainly give a few players a kick up the arse.

He's not doing himself any favours with this continual tolerance of shite displays from at least two thirds of that team in basic passing and ball retention.

Traits attributed to the Dutch mindset clearly standards are dropping off a cliff and with little or no acceptance of that fact those consistently not doing it are becoming a liability but it won't be the management who are lumbered with that level of bullshit.

The next few weeks are fast becoming last chance saloon before supporters really go to town on this shower of  garbage who clearly need a rocket up their arses in terms of standards at home and in Europe.

Just now, The Godfather said:

I predict the same couple of posters will say we would have surely dropped loads of points regardless 

To be fair I wasn't impressed last season. Scum were in turmoil in August and dropped points as they were rebuilding, by the time the manager and signings were settled September/October time they never looked back. I don't think we were winning the league under Gerrard last season either.

But the first 3 seasons I think was a more than acceptable progression, with 55 being a stellar season 

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Bassey put the work in training that Summer and came back a beast.

His best performances were for Gio as a centre half and we sold him to Ajax as a centre half. 

Bassey's commitment plays part absolutely but that's the bare minimum for ANY player who wants to improve.

3 minutes ago, Broxi said:

To be fair I wasn't impressed last season. Scum were in turmoil in August and dropped points as they were rebuilding, by the time the manager and signings were settled September/October time they never looked back. I don't think we were winning the league under Gerrard last season either.

But the first 3 seasons I think was a more than acceptable progression, with 55 being a stellar season 

That's fair enough but I think we would have won it. As poor as Gerrard was he had the beating of them and under him there is no way we would have folded as badly as we did against them as we did and currently still do with Gio.

I refuse to believe this is as good as it will get with this squad domestically. A half decent manager would have us making a fight of it 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

That's fair enough but I think we would have won it. As poor as Gerrard was he had the beating of them and under him there is no way we would have folded as badly as we did against them as we did and currently still do with Gio.

I refuse to believe this is as good as it will get with this squad domestically. A half decent manager would have us making a fight of it 

Wouldn't have had the away record that was bordering on Pedro level either.

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Youre just using everything you can to vindicate you wanting him out and you don't really need to. It seems the majority agree with wanting him gone and that's fine.

But to simply put it down to "Gio dwindled away" points without actually mentioning that a lot of the dropped points were down to players and individual errors looks juvenile. Also failing to acknowledge that across the city they started getting their shit together around that time and started battering teams ( i believe they had a record run) is also a bit one dimensional. Probably should mention the team and players were fucking awful and the football was stale under Gerrard just before he fucked off. Some of the people upset over that win today would be the same ones under Gerrard saying "these scrappy wins are ones that win titles".

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

This because Gerrard had fire and guts.Out ranting at players where Gio is just a soft cunt and just floats along

A Manager needs to be a winner for the rest to take it onboard

Not buying this notion we were definitely not winning the league under Gerrard last season either.

We pumped Motherwell 6-1 away not long prior to him leaving. He also beat fatty whilst sitting at home on his couch.

Nobody will convince me we only take 1/9 from them under Gerrard. Not a chance that happens.

We took 30/39 points under him last season. That continued form have us winning the league last season and that included 4 points lost that never should have occurred. McGregor howler and the Motherwell 1-1.

Europe we were doing f all under him though.

Feel dirty defending that prick for last season.

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I think our squad is weaker than theirs as well but agree we're still not playing as well as this squad could be playing either. 

Both are a problem, but a better manager gets more from this squad 

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Not buying this notion we were definitely not winning the league under Gerrard last season either.

We pumped Motherwell 6-1 away not long prior to him leaving. He also beat fatty whilst sitting at home on his couch.

Nobody will convince me we only take 1/9 from them under Gerrard. Not a chance that happens.

We took 30/39 points under him last season. That continued form have us winning the league last season and that included 4 points lost that never should have occurred. McGregor howler and the Motherwell 1-1.

Europe we were doing f all under him though.

Feel dirty defending that prick for last season.

The taigs went on an unreal run but our away form was shambolic and in head to head games we would never have folded like we did under Gio.

We would have flopped big style in Europe but we would be at 2IAR right now. 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Against Dundee United who the Tim's put 9 past, AZ put 7 past and St Mirren recently hammered away too... 

Us trying to keep the ball up the park at the corner flag as they ended the game camped out in our half....Had that happened under ANY manager then it would be the same reaction. Unacceptable. Then you take into context of our recent form, results and performances. 

I don't need to talk about last season because this seasons turning out a fucking nightmare with no progress in sight whatsoever BUT when you take into account the domestic results and away record he put in last season then yes its no wonder folk have had enough of it.

Why waste time pretending he will change it and turn it around when he didn't in Holland and their fans predicted this exact scenario would happen.

I want a manager who can put fight into us and who doesn't come out white defeatist shite statements after games. Most of all I want a manager who will treat the Scottish game and teams with the contempt it deserves and that man wasn't and never will be Gio.

I loved Gio as a player and want him to succeed with us. But it's gone very stale and one dimensional the passes at the back are fucking annoying.

I'm thinking we need a change. 

Sean Dyce is the man I feel will kick players like Kents arses into gear.