Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

None of our play looks like anything that's rehearsed and drilled on the training ground it's all just hit and hope. There was a point last night where we had a free kick outside the box on the right side. Was screaming out for tav to cut it back to someone on the outside of the box for a shot but was just lumped into the box with a loopy cross with no accuracy or precision. Players running about like headless chickens too. It's obvious we need new ideas and drill them on the training ground. It's funny because the goal actually came from a decent bit of play which 99% of the time we don't try to do. Why can't we play like that all the time? Why do we have to wait for absolute desperation to try something different? We usually start ok for the first 15 mins until the other team settles and makes some tactical tweaks then we have no answers after that. Maybe the players could be more aggressive but I'm convinced it all points to the management and coaching staff. Who would be enthusiastic about playing like we do? The players obviously arent getting the coaching they need. This statement I'm about to make maybe is too far but that matondo looked decent first couple games and has obviously got worse and worse. Maybe any talent he did have has been coached out of him? How can the board look at what we are doing and think it's going to work out in the future? Whole thing is just fucking depressing!!

26 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Also, i didnt know gio took all of our corners, im defo sure I've seen barisic and tav take some, and if they see outwingers arent working and dont decide to take it upon themselves to change it then they are every bit as culpable 

Partly agree that players should take more ownership but think this is part of the overall problem, that GvB wants them to do thing’s exact to the tactics and the freedom to play is a bit removed, hence the possession and cross repeatedly.

36 minutes ago, The FF Snitch said:

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned on here, but I thought it was interesting that the stadium announcer last night didn’t introduce Gio, Vos and Makaay as he usually would.

Seems to be an indication the club know the manager is unpopular.

Maybe the club have been on RM and seen that some folk were going to boo from the start, have banners and hoping we would drop points :craphead:

59 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

1.27% of corners in football worldwide leads to goals, they’re not the goal scoring opportunity people seem to think they are 

Fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that doing the exact same fucking thing time after time with zero reward is pointless?

Our current first team is full of short-arses yet we keep pumping those outswingers into the box, clearly there's no-one on the training ground thinking outside of the box (no pun intended).

He got the win last night but it was more of the same problems we've been seeing for weeks. 

St Mirren away will make or break him. If he drops points there he's got to go. 

Worry now but the board is too stubborn and will continue to back him thinking break and those coming back from injury will somehow turn it round. 

2 minutes ago, Goofy The Scot said:

Fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that doing the exact same fucking thing time after time with zero reward is pointless?

Our current first team is full of short-arses yet we keep pumping those outswingers into the box, clearly there's no-one on the training ground thinking outside of the box (no pun intended).

I agree. Even changing from a fucking outswinging corner to an inswinger. It's just like a tick box exercise when we get a corner.

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

He got the win last night but it was more of the same problems we've been seeing for weeks. 

Worry now but the board is too stubborn and will continue to back him thinking break and those coming back from injury will somehow turn it round. 

I thought we were poor last night. Apart from the goal it's hard to remember many Gordon saves or clear cut opportunities. We have regressed and reverted back to hitting the wings and pumping the ball into the box.

I think Tillman is incredible at taking the ball into feet and turning. Even that should be used more. Get him closer to the striker and hit the ball to feet. Need to go through the middle more.

48 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Also, i didnt know gio took all of our corners, im defo sure I've seen barisic and tav take some, and if they see outwingers arent working and dont decide to take it upon themselves to change it then they are every bit as culpable 

So the shite players who've not performed for Gio should now just disregard what a pretty clear instruction of his when his job is on the line?

If they did that, nothing came of it and we dropped points you'd be apoplectic with rage especially at Tav 😄

55 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Then you've got one player doing X while the rest of the players are doing Y as they expect the corner taker to do what has been planned.

31 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

With this board, he could get away with anything and still keep his job.

We’ve all said “lose/draw this game and he’s toast” yet, despite failure after failure, he’s still there.

44 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

If we do drop points against St Mirren he will not go mate, The board will give him time until some players come back from Injury it is a ded cert.

The board have no problem letting things fester and fester as proven over the years.

Ach, here we go.  I'll chip in.

I thought we were ok in patches.  We actually tried to close down and pressurise the ball high up the pitch, but Hearts did an ok job of little triangles and beating it to an extent.  We did actually turn over possession in good areas, but did nothing of note with it.  We did the harder yards, but didn't have quality to exploit the openings we earned.  

What drives me to distraction though is how easily we give up possession when other teams have a throw.  The other thing is that our wingers stay soooooooooooo wide that we isolate our striker.  Tillman is supposed to close that gap and he has his moments, but he was DONE by about an hour into the match and slowed things down when he had chances to break quickly and exploit.  I've no idea why our wingers don't get a lot closer to the striker, thus allowing the full backs to overlap - which would then mean we can crash the box with players as opposed to what we do, which is have 1 or 2 in box at most with the opposite winger never in close enough to the goal to get to back post and become 2nd striker.  I hate to say it, but that's what they do.......they crash the box from the opposite side because their wide players start narrow, which widens the pitch for the full backs as it draws defence in the way.  

Anyway...........in the main, I could at least see what we were TRYING to do last night, but it didn't always work and then we completely lost our way at times as well.  Deserved to win though, no doubt.  

Better, but far from acceptable. 

Why would anyone want Dyche knowing full well he wouldn’t even consider us if an epl team came in for him. 

Gio is here to stay, no doubt about it. He should be given, as I have said, another transfer window. When he has players back from injury and another transfer window that is when he should really be judged. 

Just now, Tommy Stubbs said:

Why would anyone want Dyche knowing full well he wouldn’t even consider us if an epl team came in for him. 

Gio is here to stay, no doubt about it. He should be given, as I have said, another transfer window. When he has players back from injury and another transfer window that is when he should really be judged. 

The sad reality is that's true of almost any manager now. The only possible exceptions would be guys who are close to retirement and/or Rangers men.