Next Manager Discussion Thread

superallysbears

18 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

He'd also be looking for a big transfer kitty as his managerial reputation would be on the line coming to Scottish Football. 

Or perhaps he is keen on getting a job at a club who are at the top end of the league, expected to win each game and win cups to prove he isn’t a one trick pony when none of the bigger clubs are going for him because of the Burnley low block stigma.

It probably isn’t likely with this board but I have little doubt that he’s a far better man manager than Gio and has a great work ethic and if anyone knows how to beat a low block it’s someone that was exceptionally good at playing it.

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

His last job he had probably the lowest transfer kitty in the league, he would be coming here to have the 2nd biggest.

I'm not saying he's a bad suggestion as he sounds as though he demands high standards, I'm not sure that he's affordable as I suspect he'd be looking for a substantial transfer kitty. He did a good job at Burnley and was very unlucky to be sacked there but there is a massive difference managing a team fighting relegation every year to managing a club the size of ours with the demands of success. 

11 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

He'd also be looking for a big transfer kitty as his managerial reputation would be on the line coming to Scottish Football. 

That is a possible stumbling block.  We could offer a shot at managing a Champions League team and the realistic chance of winning trophies though which other clubs would struggle to offer.   The budget is still enough to compete in this league so we'd have to be honest what we can spend.

The foreign manager with an attacking philosophy does sound attractive at first but we need the players that fit that system, which will take major investment and that formula sooner or later gets worked out.

2 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

That is a possible stumbling block.  We could offer a shot at managing a Champions League team and the realistic chance of winning trophies though which other clubs would struggle to offer.   The budget is still enough to compete in this league so we'd have to be honest what we can spend.

The foreign manager with an attacking philosophy does sound attractive at first but we need the players that fit that system, which will take major investment and that formula sooner or later gets worked out.

Unfortunately Scottish Football isn't a big attraction and with only two teams realistically competing for the league it's a huge risk. The pressure of managing Rangers is also probably unique in the sense that the demands for success are so high and many managers will struggle to cope with that.

55 minutes ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

I'm all for Dyche. 

Seems like a great fit for us.

In fact, I'll be a bit dissapointed if it isn't him now.

Why? Is it because he’s not very good at his job and his managerial stats are a bit pishy? 
He loves the hoof it and chase? Rigid 4-4-2 or the use of a sweeper keeper?

what makes you think he’s a good fit?

13 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Why? Is it because he’s not very good at his job and his managerial stats are a bit pishy? 

Listen mate, I'm up for anything at the moment.

Especially a bit of 4-4-2 hoof and chase.

28 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

You are falling into the trap that he only plays that way. If you listen to his interviews he states that there was no point in trying to outplay Pep when his Burnley players were much less technical. He talks about getting the most out of players by understanding what they are good at rather than just fitting them in a system.

If he plays low block and long ball with 2 central strikers it’s because he believes it’s a fit for the players we have, which I don’t think is the case but he wouldn’t just come in and say “right lads as you were 4-2-3-1 horseshoe please”

He acknowledges that fans really don’t like the horseshoe but if you have the players that can make 4000 passes then score then great, good for you but it’s not for everyone.

10 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

You are falling into the trap that he only plays that way. If you listen to his interviews he states that there was no point in trying to outplay Pep when his Burnley players were much less technical. He talks about getting the most out of players by understanding what they are good at rather than just fitting them in a system.

If he plays low block and long ball with 2 central strikers it’s because he believes it’s a fit for the players we have, which I don’t think is the case but he wouldn’t just come in and say “right lads as you were 4-2-3-1 horseshoe please”

He acknowledges that fans really don’t like the horseshoe but if you have the players that can make 4000 passes then score then great, good for you but it’s not for everyone.

I’m falling into the trap that he’s adapted his style to stay up. Not for winning anything.  

He has had no opportunity to play a system that brings success only survival. 

strange that folk think that is what we need. 

26 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Not promoting Martindale as a serious option but this idea of developing a system based on the players at your disposal rather trying to turn Fashion Sakala into Kevin de Bruyne is exactly his philosophy too.

Over a period of time as players come and go, the system is tweaked accordingly.

If that’s Dyche’s approach, then that makes him a contender imo.

PS: when did “park the bus” or “a packed defence” become a “low block” and why didn’t I get the email? A low block in Glasgow is a wee skyscraper no more than four floors high:lol:

12 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’m falling into the trap that he’s adapted his style to stay up. Not for winning anything.  

He has had no opportunity to play a system that brings success only survival. 

strange that folk think that is what we need. 

Yes that’s strange, let’s play a formation that suits the players you have and that gives those players and therefore the team the best possible chance of success (the definition of success at Burnley was survival and he then eclipsed that by qualifying for Europe, our definition of success is different and our players are of a higher standard than 90% of the rest of the league so why would he play low block and long ball).

Im not saying he will play free flowing football however he reacts to what is available in his squad, if Burnley had the financial and pulling power to sign the best technical players do you still think they’d have played the same way?

He is what we need because he maximises the output of the players he has at the time and right now we have a dud of a manager who cannot do that.

Dyche is wildly unrealistic for us IMO.

I would love for us to get him, but I think his wage demands would be too high, he would argue with the board, which they wont like and was good mates with Warburton who will warn him off our board.

He will get a job in the PL, or top end of championship with a view to getting straight back into the PL.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I would love for us to get him, but I think his wage demands would be too high, he would argue with the board, which they wont like and was good mates with Warburton who will warn him off our board.

He will get a job in the PL, or top end of championship with a view to getting straight back into the PL.

Seriously under selling us here 

24 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

He actively recruited players to play that system rather than the other way around.

The approach obviously won’t need to be as defensive for the vast majority of our games as he needed to be at Burnley.

But I think it‘s a near on cert he will recruit to height, strength, work rate etc. and play long.

Many of you will love winning that way but I don’t think we need to sacrifice style to win in the league we’re in.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Unfortunately you are probably right, with this limp board I could see them going after a Neilson type manager.

This strikes me as the moment where you appoint a manager that makes a real statement, it’s like what they did replacing deila with Rodger’s, it’s time to do things right and give them a fight  or concede the next few titles to them as we don’t get rid of Gio or we do and get a another boardroom shill with no tactical nous and man management skills that rival David Brent

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He actively recruited players to play that system rather than the other way around.

The approach obviously won’t need to be as defensive for the vast majority of our games as he needed to be at Burnley.

But I think it‘s a near on cert he will recruit to height, strength, work rate etc. and play long.

Many of you will love winning that way but I don’t think we need to sacrifice style to win in the league we’re in.

If you look at my later post I mentioned that he may not play free flowing football but he had to do something relative to the financial and pulling power of Burnley. It’s not the same as managing Newcastle after their takeover, if they bought technical players they would still be well short of the top half of the league.

We’ll probably never find out as we’ll be stuck with Gio for the foreseeable then appoint Billy Davies

41 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

You may be falling in to the trap believing he can play a different style, has he ever been at a club managing and playing an attractive style of football. I'm not saying he couldn't but I can only remember him managing Burnley and there style of football was horrendous not that ours is great at the moment.