Has Gio lost the dressing room ?

MillwallLoyal

3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

He’s taking a real chance of being gone from football forever mate. If it goes to double figures it will be the biggest embarrassment of a manager for the ages. If Napoli go at us I’m thinking we lose by 6 at the very least. Wonder what the odds are for that. 

If it goes to double figures I vote we go all Forentina ultras style and break into the training ground with sky masks and baseball bats smash every cunt 😂

I don't think he has, but I do think players have to take more responsibility on the field than we are seeing just now. Winning 50 50s, tracking runners and generally being more aggressive on and off the ball has to be the minimum requirement. Tactics and team selection are based on who's fit and available rather than who is on form at the moment. I would hate to think there are guys in that dressing room who have simply downed tools because they don't like Gio. But then again look at Villa at the weekend perhaps players are just that childish now, that playing for the support and the club takes a back seat to how they feel.

4 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

I don't think he has, but I do think players have to take more responsibility on the field than we are seeing just now. Winning 50 50s, tracking runners and generally being more aggressive on and off the ball has to be the minimum requirement. Tactics and team selection are based on who's fit and available rather than who is on form at the moment. I would hate to think there are guys in that dressing room who have simply downed tools because they don't like Gio. But then again look at Villa at the weekend perhaps players are just that childish now, that playing for the support and the club takes a back seat to how they feel.

Not always intentional - motivation by a manager is important in any line of work, and it may just be that the players are not feeling that sense of shared purpose that’s key to good performances 

36 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

hopefully Napoli play their second team and keep it around 5 

the players are not buying what Gio is selling. we've a chance to to it around during world cup break. 

When gio reckons arfield is a fucking winger then nobody is buying into his pish.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Arfield is a winger and Davis is a number 10….only in the mad world of GvB.

I think if we get gubbed on Wednesday then the board have to act.

The World Cup break is ideally positioned to get a new manager in to work with the players before the next competitive game comes round and he’ll be expected to get a win.

“If we get gubbed “ is that a typo.

Very rare for keevins to ever say anything I agree with but on Saturday he said that Gio should have lost his job after losing the 7 goals and the way the domestic form has fallen off a cliff since that game makes me think he has a point. Perhaps there just isn't any coming back from a result like that and it's as simple as that :ang:

It's a combination of multiple things for me.  Our conditioning looks poor, there is no discernible tactical approach, we aren't solid defensively and we have been on the end of some absolute hidings.  As a result, the team look completely shot. 

As alarming as our on the ball play is, our off the ball shape/work is awful.  It's actually a myth that we always pressed high under SG - we only did it when there was a quick opportunity.  Otherwise we had a very clear shape out of possession and we shuffled across the park to create pinch points that we could then try and exploit if teams played themselves into a cul de sac.  We were always susceptible to very quick and fast long range switches of play from flank to flank.  However, we at least had an obvious style and tactical approach off the ball.  When successful, we played quickly from those points and hurt teams.  When the onus was on us to create against a low block, we struggled then, just as we do now - although now we have even less confidence than we did then.

Which brings me on to GVB and the dressing room. He obviously doesn't want to change the shape on or off the ball and it is being proven, again and again, to make us vulnerable.  For me, that's what will cost him the confidence of the team, and ultimately his job.  

It's not a tactical discussion this one, but I've no idea why (in Scotland) we don't set up with 2 strikers, an attacking mid, full backs high and a back 3, that can allow 2 to be really aggressive and step on to the play.  And in Europe, 1 striker, with Kent playing close and narrow to that person and playing from there. 

His refusal to change, and results being so poor, means the team have/will lose faith in what they are doing and ultimately, lose faith in him.  So has he lost the dressing room - probably, yes.

2 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The World Cup break is ideally positioned to get a new manager in to work with the players before the next competitive game comes round and he’ll be expected to get a win.

I’m pretty sure the chat between the manager & the board will be that the winter break will be the ideal time to try & get injured players back and also much needed time to work on the training ground with the players. 

3 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

That's a good shout mate.

2 hours ago, Amokachi said:

I’m pretty sure the chat between the manager & the board will be that the winter break will be the ideal time to try & get injured players back and also much needed time to work on the training ground with the players. 

Sadly the more time Gio gets to work with them on the training ground the more we regress.

4 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

GVB isn’t the first player to use Arfield as a winger.

Ofc hes not. He played 3 times out of his 8 appearances in his full career at right wing under Gerrard. Other than that nothing to suggest he's played on the wing previously. 

Was a bloody good left midfielder for Burnley tho so left wing would have been the natural choice I would have thought if he was being moved to the wing but he couldn't because Mr undroppable takes that spot. 

Edit. No idea where he plays for his national team tho

5 minutes ago, johanvanhentze said:

Is this a guess or an actual rumour? It certainly wouldnt surprise me.

Fact, from someone in the dressing room , could say a few more things regarding certain players and their injuries etc, but obviously cant