Is It Time For A New Captain ?

BlueboyG

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Mate football's moved on.

We also overstate the role of a modern captain because of the types of captains we've had in the distant past.

Had to google Man City's captain for example - it's Gundogan.

First pick, respected by the majority of the players as a player and person, good ambassador for the club.

That's the modern good captain in football.

I don't see any benefit in changing it unless Beale's bringing in a new first choice RB, which would mean moving Tav on anyway.

Your first point is relevant to England and other top leagues where the top teams are full of genuine world class players who are capable of leading themselves  

I don’t think Scotland and particularly our rivalry in Glasgow has moved much further forward from the roles of seeing captains as having a certain attitude , dig and aura about them.  

14 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Borna and him are asbad as each other. Ive called borna shitebag out again on here for upto 2 years now.

Tav is a wigan athletic right back, whos overstayed his welcome as captain. The clubs outgrown him now and dilly dally goldson.

Well if you want to win league titles and domestic cups that is.

Continue as you are, rinse, repeat, etc 

A player who was in the Europa League team of the season is a Wigan athletic right back.

Either put your rod away or your drink down.

3 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

His mentality is horrendous and not befitting of a Rangers captain. End of.

Tell us more about what makes his mentality 'not befitting of a Rangers captain'?

Would you rather he was getting into fights pished after being scudded by Celtic?

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Tell us more about what makes his mentality 'not befitting of a Rangers captain'?

Would you rather he was getting into fights pished after being scudded by celtic?

I'd rather he had an appetite for winning more trophies quite frankly. I'd rather he wasn't content with just "doing the set" once in Scotland. 

But hey, if you think he's doing a stellar job, crack on.

Just now, Loyal72 said:

I'd rather he had an appetite for winning more trophies quite frankly. I'd rather he wasn't content with just "doing the set" once in Scotland. 

But hey, if you think he's doing a stellar job, crack on.

You think professional footballers don't want to win trophies? :lol:

What has Tavernier said that suggests he's 'content with just "doing the set" once in Scotland'?

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean the simple answer really is winning and leading us to more trophies 

We are in a bit of a barren spell by our clubs standards so unfortunately the captain is going to bear the brunt of fan anger at times 

Just now, cr3_bear said:

I mean the simple answer really is winning and leading us to more trophies 

We are in a bit of a barren spell by our clubs standards so unfortunately the captain is going to bear the brunt of fan anger at times 

Tavernier's mentality doesn't make Aaron Ramsey score that penalty. It doesn't make Allan McGregor any younger and doesn't stop Ryan Jack from being made of glass.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You think professional footballers don't want to win trophies? :lol:

What has Tavernier said that suggests he's 'content with just "doing the set" once in Scotland'?

You think being a professional footballer equates to just winning trophies? Going by the generation of today's youth football players, some are quite happy with the money and the "drip" 

Tavernier's on field actions, and own words over the years are what says to me he'd be content with doing the set. You heard yourself no doubt the big build up he gave the league cup and how much it would mean to him personally at his time in Rangers to do the set. 

That says to me if Tav wins a league cup, he'll have had a relatively successful Rangers career by his standards and goals he's set out.

So yeah, from the horse's mouth. The guys no got the appetite to dominate year on year.

Also while he can't make Aron Ramsey miss that penalty, he could've ensured we were more switched on defensively and that Goldson done his job, we'd have a European trophy and I'd not give a fuck about this whole conversation, probably wouldn't be having it.

But that's the way of it.

The guys no got it.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Tavernier's mentality doesn't make Aaron Ramsey score that penalty. It doesn't make Allan McGregor any younger and doesn't stop Ryan Jack from being made of glass.

No one has said it did 

but the answer to the question you asked was simple . More success . Any time there is a lack of it then unfortunately the captain is going to face the brunt of fans anger . The only way he can silence those question and criticism of his mentality is filling the trophy cabinet like Ferguson ultimately did after your before mentioned incident 

6 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

You think being a professional footballer equates to just winning trophies? Going by the generation of today's youth football players, some are quite happy with the money and the "drip" 

Tavernier's on field actions, and own words over the years are what says to me he'd be content with doing the set. You heard yourself no doubt the big build up he gave the league cup and how much it would mean to him personally at his time in Rangers to do the set. 

That says to me if Tav wins a league cup, he'll have had a relatively successful Rangers career by his standards and goals he's set out.

So yeah, from the horse's mouth. The guys no got the appetite to dominate year on year.

Also while he can't make Aron Ramsey miss that penalty, he could've ensured we were more switched on defensively and that Goldson done his job, we'd have a European trophy and I'd not give a fuck about this whole conversation, probably wouldn't be having it.

But that's the way of it.

The guys no got it.

No. I havent suggested anything close to 'being a professional footballer equates to just winning trophies'.

So there's literally nothing from Tavernier that gives the impression he's content to do the set once Certainly nothing 'from the horses mouth' that would back that up. It would/should be a big thing for every Rangers player to complete the set domestically.

Here's what Tavernier actually said:

“Personally, it would mean completing the set of all three trophies and we’ve got a good opportunity to do that at the weekend,” Tavernier said.

“It’s a true honour and words can’t really describe how much you feel (lifting trophies)”

“You get so much enjoyment.

“And it’s not just myself, it’s obviously the whole team, the fans, everyone’s families who turned up to support.

“You just want to continue to give that. it’s what we all signed up for with Rangers, to win trophies, and we’ll be doing everything possible on Sunday to try and make that happen.”

Which part of that quote suggests he'd be 'content' with winning the set once?

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Ferguson. 'The Battle of Bothwell Bridge'. Silly cunt went out boozing in his club trackie after a 6-2 scudding ending up with a burst face.

At least he defended us. Much better than Sands and Tillman having dinner with CCV after an OF game. Couldn't give a fuck if they are all Americans. There has to be a hatred mentality.

No. I havent suggested anything close to 'being a professional footballer equates to just winning trophies'.

So there's literally nothing from Tavernier that gives the impression he's content to do the set once Certainly nothing 'from the horses mouth' that would back that up. It would/should be a big thing for every Rangers player to complete the set domestically.

Here's what Tavernier actually said:

Which part of that quote suggests he'd be 'content' with winning the set once?

I can't help you if you read that and can't see that he's set himself the goal of doing the set. 

Facts are the trophy return under this captain is poor, his mentality is poor, and overall we can do better.

That's what the question of this thread was it not, yes it's time for a new captain.

Just now, bluenoz said:

At least he defended us. Much better than Sands and Tillman having dinner with CCV after an OF game. Couldn't give a fuck if they are all Americans. There has to be a hatred mentality.

Away to fuck. Here he is on his pal 'Lenny':

"I’ve written before in the column about my feelings for Neil Lennon. The two of us absolutely hated each other for 90 minutes because we were going to war out there. And it went on for a number of years.

"But afterwards, there was always a sense of deep, mutual respect because we knew we were really just two sides of the same coin."

Sands and Tillman were meeting their international manager in the lead-up to the World Cup. Hardly going to tell him no because a Celtic player will be there too :lol:

2 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

I can't help you if you read that and can't see that he's set himself the goal of doing the set. 

Facts are the trophy return under this captain is poor, his mentality is poor, and overall we can do better.

That's what the question of this thread was it not, yes it's time for a new captain.

Every Rangers player should have the goal of doing the domestic set. You claimed he would be 'content' with doing it once based, ostensibly, on your dislike of Tavernier.

Who would you replace him with?

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ferguson. 'The Battle of Bothwell Bridge'. Silly cunt went out boozing in his club trackie after a 6-2 scudding ending up with a burst face.

I mean I don’t think his trackie on or off made a difference. Ferguson was a well known face all over Scotland . His going out and not being able to handle his emotions was the daft part but he was still young at the time and everyone has made daft decisions at 20 or whatever age he was at the time 

"I’ve written before in the column about my feelings for Neil Lennon. The two of us absolutely hated each other for 90 minutes because we were going to war out there. And it went on for a number of years.

"But afterwards, there was always a sense of deep, mutual respect because we knew we were really just two sides of the same coin."

Sands and Tillman were meeting their international manager in the lead-up to the World Cup. Hardly going to tell him no because a Celtic player will be there too :lol:

No arguements there . Since he has hung up his boots Ferguson has done more than enough to ruin his legacy with the fans and I certainly don’t have a lot of time for him . Dosen’t take away from the fact he was a captain who delivered and has a trophy haul to back it up 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sands and Tillman were meeting their international manager in the lead-up to the World Cup. Hardly going to tell him no because a celtic player will be there too :lol:

I highly doubt Ferguson & Lennon are pals or socialize.

There is not enough hatred in this team. The mentality is all wrong.