Jack Butland

Broxi

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

No it is. Part of the equation of player profile+market+fee. It all goes in to the equation. If it is a promising young player that we can get in like Bassey or Aribo for a free and usually minimal wages (Dare I say it a Clarkson). We should be all over it.

Outside of them our last signings have been Davies, Cantwell, Lawrence, Bacuna, Lundstrum, Ofoborh, McLaughlin, Simpson, Defoe, Edmundson, Stewart. It’s not a good enough return for me. But each to their own. 

Half of those players were only ever signings to add depth (Simpson, Stewart, Bacuna, Defoe, McLaughlin) a couple others were 'projects' (Edmundson/Ofoborh). Lawrence seems to get better with every week he's out injured. Davies has been nowhere near as bad as some of the hysterical overreactions and Cantwell is just in the door.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A 30-year-old on 30-40k per week having barely kicked a ball in the last three years carries all the same potential for disaster.

Slonina has already shown he's a more than capable keeper and is already a full international with consistent first-team football under his belt.

If u say so mate I've never seen the lad play 😁 never a fan of goalkeepers on loan kicking the can down the road doing that imo. 

7 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Still blows my mind that we weren’t and haven’t been linked with Dylan Vente.

We are working on a limited budget and are desperate for another couple of goal-scorers and he’s sitting with 49 goals and 16 assists in 94 games for a team who are a middling Dutch second tier side.

I know Roda rejected a few enquiries from MLS sides for him previously (NYRB and Chicago Fire were both after him last year) definitely one to look at though

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Half of those players were only ever signings to add depth (Simpson, Stewart, Bacuna, Defoe, McLaughlin) a couple others were 'projects' (Edmundson/Ofoborh). Lawrence seems to get better with every week he's out injured. Davies has been nowhere near as bad as some of the hysterical overreactions and Cantwell is just in the door.

Not going to get in another tit for tat with you. Feel free to have your opinion.

imo butland is fine. The other 2 we are linked with are underwhelming.

it’s not been a market that’s served us well on average except maybe for the odd success except when we’ve used the loophole or signed out of contract young promising players. 

happy for you to think otherwise 👍

Just now, The Dude said:

I know Roda rejected a few enquiries from MLS sides for him previously (NYRB and Chicago Fire were both after him last year) definitely one to look at though

Maybe not so much now, but was always surprised we didn’t get linked with him when Gio was managing us, especially because Gio worked with him at Feyernoord. Maybe he was and is just shite :lol:

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

If u say so mate I've never seen the lad play 😁 never a fan of goalkeepers on loan kicking the can down the road doing that imo. 

I've seen pretty much every game he's played. IIRC he was the only keeper to make the NXGN50 list of best young players on the planet.

27 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Based on stuff from 5+ years ago

He's played 120 games in the last 5 years.

He played 15 times for Palace last season and did well and would have played more this season if he hadn't been injured for 6 months before his loan to Utd.

Utd aren't going to sign someone to be their 2nd keeper if they didn't think they were good enough.

Hart had played about half as many games as Butland in the last 5 years and was about 5 years older when he signed and he's been a huge upgrade for them.

2nd Keepers from the EPL should always be our market for keepers. There's a lot of really good players looking for first team football available for cheap.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

For 7m I'm expecting an absolute minimum of 25-30 goals a season.

We shouldn't be spending anywhere near 7m on any one player for this league tbqh. They spent less than 5 on kyogo and he's getting a goal every 1.5 games for them on average.

8 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

He played 15 times for Palace last season and did well and would have played more this season if he hadn't been injured for 6 months before his loan to Utd.

Utd aren't going to sign someone to be their 2nd keeper if they didn't think they were good enough.

Hart had played about half as many games as Butland in the last 5 years and was about 5 years older when he signed and he's been a huge upgrade for them.

2nd Keepers from the EPL should always be our market for keepers. There's a lot of really good players looking for first team football available for cheap.

Lee grant

14 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

He’s played a grand total of 17 games in 3 years. His last season at Stoke was by all accounts a shambles. In one of his last games for Palace he had an absolute stinker in their derby.

I’d rather actually have some scouts go look for keepers that are playing well, and maybe put our player trading model we love going on about to use, than sign bench warmers.

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s played a grand total of 17 games in 3 years. His last season at Stoke was by all accounts a shambles. In one of his last games for Palace he had an absolute stinker in their derby.

I’d rather actually have some scouts go look for keepers that are playing well, and maybe put our player trading model we love going on about to use, than sign bench warmers.

Are you saying our board and recruitment staff haven't done any research and just went for Butland because of the name and what he was tipped to once be?

Rangers, our board and recruitment staff? Nah, surely not.

17 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

With what cash? You're not going to find a teams first-team goalkeeper playing well at a good enough level for less than £3-5m minimum. 

We need to sign 5-7 players this summer. 

7 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

With what cash? You're not going to find a teams first-team goalkeeper playing well at a good enough level for less than £3-5m minimum. 

We need to sign 5-7 players this summer. 

I never mentioned this summer though, you said it should always be our market.

This season fair enough, but always? Not for me.

Personally speaking I prefer a keeper who’s a bit older and has more experience but if we wanted a younger keeper Mads Hermansen would have been the absolute dream.

Might have been beyond us financially because a lot of clubs are looking at him now, but if we could have got him you would have imagined that even if he had cost 4-6 million he would become a player who would easily have doubled our money on a couple of years down the line.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I never mentioned this summer though, you said it should always be our market.

This season fair enough, but alway? Not for me.

I don't see a day when we would ever be paying upto £5m for a goalkeeper.

Whether we like it or not, our market is rarely going to be players that are regular first-team starters and playing really well, unless from much smaller leagues where there's then a higher risk of them not being able to take the step up or their contract is coming to an end. There's often going to be a caveat of them being in and out the team or going through a bad patch of form.

11 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

I get that but at same time, we may not be in a great position to take a speculative punr either on an experiment . A bit like the tarriers with Hart, who is also prone to a blunder, I actually think he's a fairly solid option with good experience. 

I understand that argument too.

We’re taking the approach to get the best we can on a free rather than go out and look for the best goalkeeper we could realistically sign if we spent £2-5 million on.

Goalkeeper sets the tone, would have preferred we set a marker by bringing in someone a level above the rest of the league including them.

7 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I understand that argument too.

We’re taking the approach to get the best we can on a free rather than go out and look for the best goalkeeper we could realistically sign if we spent £2-5 million on.

Goalkeeper sets the tone, would have preferred we set a marker by bringing in someone a level above the rest of the league including them.

We don’t have the money to buy a keeper who would be head and shoulders above all the others in the league. I’d rather we spent money on defenders who will make the keepers job easier.

11 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

We don’t have the money to buy a keeper who would be head and shoulders above all the others in the league. I’d rather we spent money on defenders who will make the keepers job easier.

Thing is we spent about 8 million on it in the Summer and it's no better off. We have too many areas that require those kind of sums so one will have to sacrifice the other.