Jack Butland

Broxi

4 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Dreadful signing. The guys made numerous howlers in his career. This was 1 season alone in the championship. Never mind the amount he made in the premier league 

Not watched it yet but quite happy with Butland coming in, I think you will struggle to get a keeper who has not made howlers, it's part of being a keeper. 

S

16 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

For those unhappy about this what level of goalie do you want? Man United thought he was good enough to be back up For DDG

Man Utd thought he was a cheap sticking plaster to fill a slot on the bench for five months. He wasn’t and never has been a viable option to play actual games for them on a regular basis in the same way that guys like Carson, Betinelli & Adrian also do at big clubs.

Slightly sick of the Warburton hangover of signing from the English market primarily. Just become somewhere for these guys to come up and see what it's like to play under pressure. I miss the days of signing players scouted from abroad who you have little preconception about, and they either surprise you or ruin you. There's decent players to get in England, but do they ever truly take us to the next level?

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

Slightly sick of the Warburton hangover of signing from the English market primarily. Just become somewhere for these guys to come up and see what it's like to play under pressure. I miss the days of signing players scouted from abroad who you have little preconception about, and they either surprise you or ruin you. There's decent players to get in England, but do they ever truly take us to the next level?

Mind when folk were moaning about Gio not signing Dutch players/using the Dutch market? We've now gone 180 and are moaning at Beale for doing the thing GvB was criticised for not doing.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Weren’t you arguing yesterday that we should sign Clarkson from the ‘same old market’ that has failed us? 

? Big difference between promising young players who are improving, have played and performed well in the league already and cost nothing. And the rest.. washed up ex prem players no thanks. Big difference 😉 

Just now, OrangeRab said:

? Big difference between promising young players who are improving, have played and performed well in the league already and cost nothing. And the rest.. washed up ex prem players no thanks. Big difference 😉 

So the issue isn't the 'same old market that has failed us'?

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Mind when folk were moaning about Gio not signing Dutch players/using the Dutch market? We've now gone 180 and are moaning at Beale for doing the thing GvB was criticised for not doing.

Massive difference. The championship is the league below the richest league in the world. So it’s only natural that it’s going to be watched and scouted more by teams from the richest league. Hence it might be hard for us to find value in an overly competitive market.

Newer markets like the J league. Or markets like the Dutch league who produce national teams as good as the English are legitimate criticisms of our scouting department. 

celtic’s signings from their Japanese managerial links are one of the main reasons they’ve over taken us. Perfectly fair for fans to want to replicate that in a manager

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was relatively cheap, was available on loan and counts as a homegrown for their PL & Euro quotas.

They also thought a 35-year-old Lee Grant was good enough to back up DDG

Same with hart at spurs again if butland isn't good enough then who'd you suggest as a better affordable alternative. On a free it's good signing and a upgrade 

Just now, KingKirk said:

Same with hart at spurs again if butland isn't good enough then who'd you suggest as a better affordable alternative. On a free it's good signing and a upgrade 

Personally, I'd take a shot at getting Gaga Slonina on loan from Chelsea.

I can remember when Goram signed and people weren't happy also remember him making a massive howler against Hibs and he took alot of stick in his first season with us. He then went on to be a Legend. 

Goalkeepers make a mistake and it ends in a goal. 

Butland would be a good signing, although I would like to see McCrorie get a chance before the end of the season. 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So the issue isn't the 'same old market that has failed us'?

No it is. Part of the equation of player profile+market+fee. It all goes in to the equation. If it is a promising young player that we can get in like Bassey or Aribo for a free and usually minimal wages (Dare I say it a Clarkson). We should be all over it.

Outside of them our last signings have been Davies, Cantwell, Lawrence, Bacuna, Lundstrum, Ofoborh, McLaughlin, Simpson, Defoe, Edmundson, Stewart. It’s not a good enough return for me. But each to their own. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Still blows my mind that we weren’t and haven’t been linked with Dylan Vente.

We are working on a limited budget and are desperate for another couple of goal-scorers and he’s sitting with 49 goals and 16 assists in 94 games for a team who are a middling Dutch second tier side.

Just now, KingKirk said:

18yr old on loan playing in goals got disaster written all over it mate 

A 30-year-old on 30-40k per week having barely kicked a ball in the last three years carries all the same potential for disaster.

Slonina has already shown he's a more than capable keeper and is already a full international with consistent first-team football under his belt.