Jack Butland

Broxi

On 25/04/2023 at 16:49, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Butland is levels above McLaughlin tbh.  McLaughlin was always a Hearts level keeper at best. Never ever understood why he was so highly rated among some people within our support. 

In all fairness to McLaughlin he barely put a foot wrong before this season (possibly down to solid defence in front of him). Regardless proved this year he cant be our no 1.

5 minutes ago, Albertz85 said:

With Butland I think hes a signing based on rep years ago. Barely played in years, apparently a howler in him. 

Cant say im feeling elated at this one. But agree other areas of team that budget needs more

Every keeper has a howler in them.

3 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Every keeper has a howler in them.

Agreed. And most outfield players in our team could have a compilation dvd put together that makes them look like a world beater.

I'd imagine most of us haven't seen too much of those we're linked with in real time during games. But when things are shite folk dont half thrive on negativity.

The main thing with Butland is he’s an “if we can get him back to his best form” signing.

A type of signing we’ve seemingly made over and over that rarely seems to happen.

If it does happen we probably have a good goalkeeper.

Personally would have preferred someone we know is playing well at a good level. Freddie Woodburn or someone albeit I haven’t followed him closely enough to know how good he is.

1 minute ago, rbt1548 said:

A video compilation of mistakes could be made for every player that plays the game.

A goalkeepers mistakes are highlighted far more than outfield players probably because it invariably costs a goal.

I think it was a Pat Jennings quote that mentioned, "A goalkeeper is there to sort out the errors of others, when he fails to do so he gets the blame"

True mate. I skimmed through the video but to me looked like maybe only 4 in it.

Must say though pretty unsure on Butland anyway, more related to lack of game time in recent years

Yes, lack of game time may be a factor, but I would imagine he would be playing in reserve/bounce games to keep him ready to step in when required.

We, as a support, have a habit of judging players too soon, and have preconceived ideas on what they will be like even before they have played for us.

We just need to give him a chance and hopefully he turns out to be the player we want.