Goldson / formation v PSV

RangersMedia

If you’re going radical, then put Souttar in the middle with Balogun and Sterling either side and bench Goldson but that’s not likely.

So it’s Sterling, Goldson and Souttar for me although Balogun is still pretty fast for his age.

Has to be Dowell, Raskin and Cifuentes in front of them with Cantwell supporting Danilo.

Lammers and Dessers don’t deserve to start imo.

1 hour ago, RDB14 said:

Felt like Souttar in his natural right sided position with Balogun alongside him was the best we have looked at the back all season.  Not blaming Goldson but it kind of shoehorns Souttar onto the left.  

Looked decent at the back in the easiest game of the season? Weird that.

34 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

If you’re going radical, then put Souttar in the middle with Balogun and Sterling either side and bench Goldson but that’s not likely.

So it’s Sterling, Goldson and Souttar for me although Balogun is still pretty fast for his age.

Has to be Dowell, Raskin and Cifuentes in front of them with Cantwell supporting Danilo.

Lammers and Dessers don’t deserve to start imo.

Does Danilo deserve to start more than Dessers or Lammers? I like all 3 btw and think they will all do well this year. Just wondering what Danilo has done better than the other 2 that means he’s getting an easier ride?

9 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

Does Danilo deserve to start more than Dessers or Lammers? I like all 3 btw and think they will all do well this year. Just wondering what Danilo has done better than the other 2 that means he’s getting an easier ride?

He looks less of a cart horse than Dessers and Lammers. He looks a bit more mobile.

2 minutes ago, MarzM said:

He looks less of a cart horse than Dessers and Lammers. He looks a bit more mobile.

Jury is still out on all three for me - don't think Danillo has impressed anymore than the other two, all got one goal to their name. If you sign three strikers you'd hope that at least one would hit the ground running. 

— Sterling - Goldson - Souttar

Tav ——— Cifu - Raskin —-—-Barisic

—————— Cantwell

—————Danilo - Dessers

I’m not sure I’m keen on Cifu and Raskin sitting though. Both can offer a lot in an attacking sense. They’ll need to very disciplined in this formation/role.

I think we are all in agreement that Cantwell needs to be played further up the pitch though. 

20 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Yes really - Jack sitting breaking up play, Cifuentes and Raskin box-to-box - I wouldn't want either of those two not breaking up play higher up the pitch and Dowell can't play Jack's role. 

After half an hour I had to check the team line up again to see if Jack was playing and as for the other two I didn't see much of the box to box.

9 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

After half an hour I had to check the team line up again to see if Jack was playing and as for the other two I didn't see much of the box to box.

That wasn't my point though, the original post was about getting Dowell into the midfield - it's either Jack or Lundstrum in there and I'd prefer Jack. I don't like Raskin back there I think he's wasted and Cifu definitely needs more freedom to do his work further up the pitch. 

16 minutes ago, Iakona said:

— Sterling - Goldson - Souttar

Tav ——— Cifu - Raskin —-—-Barisic

—————— Cantwell

—————Danilo - Dessers

I’m not sure I’m keen on Cifu and Raskin sitting though. Both can offer a lot in an attacking sense. They’ll need to very disciplined in this formation/role.

I think we are all in agreement that Cantwell needs to be played further up the pitch though. 

Quite like this line up if we go with a five. 

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

That wasn't my point though, the original post was about getting Dowell into the midfield - it's either Jack or Lundstrum in there and I'd prefer Jack. I don't like Raskin back there I think he's wasted and Cifu definitely needs more freedom to do his work further up the pitch. 

Check the post I answered, you didn't even mention Dowell.

3 at the back is too defensive, we’ll just sit back too deep and invite pressure. 

When we stepped off PSV last year they ran over us and only some really wasteful finishing from Gakpo, de Jong etc kept us in the tie. 

At Ibrox I’d much rather we got on the front foot and we’re aggressive with how  we line up and play, probably a 4-3-3 so the full backs have some cover. 

Away at their place, depending on what the score is, feel free to go more defensive and use the likes of Matondo/Sima to break at sides. We can use the pressure their fans will put on their side against them like last year. But fuck doing that at Ibrox, tie will be lost by full time on Wednesday if we go defensive in the home leg.