Should homophobic language be permitted?

Should homophobic language be acceptable?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should homophobic language be acceptable?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Amazing that given you made a post in this thread before it all kicked off.

That was before you were outed as a homophobe and your guilty plea was just a little too late plus it’s been kicking off since last night.

Just now, Bad Robot said:

That was before you were outed as a homophobe and your guilty plea was just a little too late plus it’s been kicking off since last night.

So you consider homophobic language to be unacceptable. I have proxy voted for you.

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

20 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Some words we just shouldn’t be saying too though, I’m sure @RFC55 might say it and not mean anything by it, but he’s also intelligent enough to know it’s not exactly ok to do.

Does it mean he’s going round gay bashing or even hating gay people? No.

Is it ok to say it? No, it’s part of the reason there’s so little ‘out’ footballers too.

As I say I used to use it far too often, I recognise that I wasn’t right for doing it though. 

Words also evolve and have other meanings. Saying "get up ya poof" has absolutely nothing to do with the sexuallity of the person on the ground.

I would say that if genuine offence was actually taken by something like that for whatever reason then most people would hold there hands up.

Just now, Darth Bear said:

Words also evolve and have other meanings. Saying "get up ya poof" has absolutely nothing to do with the sexuallity of the person on the ground.

I would say that if genuine offence was actually taken by something like that for whatever reason then most people would hold there hands up.

Of course it does, you’re making the insinuation that he’s gay cause he’s rolling about. 

What else do you think it means?

Calling someone a poof for that is homophobic though.

It's the connotation that they are behaving like a homosexual who is more effeminate than a straight male.

The term and it's connotation in this context is exactly the definition of homophobic.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Of course it does, you’re making the insinuation that he’s gay cause he’s rolling about. 

What else do you think it means?

It is used in the way in which we would use pussy just a wee bit stronger really. Doesn't mean he is a cat although an argument could be made that he is an alternative name of vagina which pussy can also mean.

It's all about how you use it and the intention behind it. 

It is used in the way in which we would use pussy just a wee bit stronger really. Doesn't mean he is a cat although an argument could be made that he is an alternative name of vagina which pussy can also mean.

Calling someone a pussy will get you labeled as a misogynist on here 🤣

11 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

So you consider homophobic language to be unacceptable. I have proxy voted for you.

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

ffs I was trying to give you an out although you’ve definitely outed yourself 🤣😂

5 minutes ago, Darth Bear said:

It’s absolutely not. 

Nobody calls someone a pussy meaning they are a cat. :lol: 

I get what you’re trying to say but I may be wrong, I think what you’re meaning is that when someone says ‘get up poof’ you’re not actually calling someone gay. 

But it’s the link that you’re making between them not being manly enough and being gay is where the problem is. Again it doesn’t mean someone is running about hating gay people, but you’d feel absolutely shocking if a few years later that same mate came out.

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

It’s absolutely not. 

Nobody calls someone a pussy meaning they are a cat. :lol: 

I get what you’re trying to say but I may be wrong, I think what you’re meaning is that when someone says ‘get up poof’ you’re not actually calling someone gay. 

But it’s the link that you’re making between them not being manly enough and being gay is where the problem is. Again it doesn’t mean someone is running about hating gay people, but you’d feel absolutely shocking if a few years later that same mate came out.

It's the old 'Fairytale of New York' argument.

In the original song, a homophobic slur is used which is unacceptable. The band have come out and supported its removal saying it is inappropriate.

It is a homophobic slur used against someone who is clearly not being accused of being a homosexual.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It's the old 'Fairytale of New York' argument.

In the original song, a homophobic slur is used which is unacceptable. The band have come out and supported its removal saying it is inappropriate.

It is a homophobic slur used against someone who is clearly not being accused of being a homosexual.

Good with boiled potatoes and veg though.

1 minute ago, SkylineBlue said:

How the fuck is this even a question?

:lol:

Because we have multiple threads of people thinking it's great banter to post homophobic messages.

I just find it utterly bizarre that people are willing to tolerate it or worse, participate, yet so many think it should not be tolerated.