Should homophobic language be permitted?

Should homophobic language be acceptable?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should homophobic language be acceptable?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Maybe just maybe we could go back to world where every walloper wasn’t offended by everything and the world doesn’t need to be censored to death to protect precious snowflakes delicate little feelings. 

But you do realise that we only have one player who is 'out' in the entire 4 divisions of Scottish football, and I'm not sure if any are out in English football.

This one player has to deal with daily homophobic hate speech online and this is just fucking horrible.

Maybe you think this is just a statistical anomaly and there are no gay players, or maybe wee should realise that the kinda attitudes we have on here directly leads to people feeling they have to live their life as a lie as we will make their life unbearable.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

But you do realise that we only have one player who is 'out' in the entire 4 divisions of Scottish football, and I'm not sure if any are out in English football.

This one player has to deal with daily homophobic hate speech online and this is just fucking horrible.

Maybe you think this is just a statistical anomaly and there are no gay players, or maybe wee should realise that the kinda attitudes we have on here directly leads to people feeling they have to live their life as a lie as we will make their life unbearable.

How many gay men do you think actually play football? id guess the number is low so I don’t think it’s an anomaly that there’s very few gay professionals tbh. 

11 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

It’s absolutely not. 

Nobody calls someone a pussy meaning they are a cat. :lol: 

I get what you’re trying to say but I may be wrong, I think what you’re meaning is that when someone says ‘get up poof’ you’re not actually calling someone gay. 

But it’s the link that you’re making between them not being manly enough and being gay is where the problem is. Again it doesn’t mean someone is running about hating gay people, but you’d feel absolutely shocking if a few years later that same mate came out.

Nobody that is telling someone to get up and using poof is saying anything about somebody's sexuality. It doesn't matter where the word originated or how it evolved it is about the intent in which it is used.

Words evolve, one of my favourites is bollocks which came from ballocks, a medieval word for priests I believe 😂

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

See if a guy is shagging a guy nobody really fucking cares tbh.

my granny rightly or wrongly kept calling the local shop the pakis. Where’s my granda, oh he’s doon at the wee pakis.

she wasn’t racist, it’s just what was done, people will still call gays, poofs etc, it will be like going to the “pakis” isn’t widely said neither is having a chinky, as  generations die out, it stops.

racism is worse and more of a problem than homophobia, always has been and probably always will be.

Reckon the word “Poof” will come back into normal language at some point .I know it will still get used on occasion but I can’t remember the last time I heard anybody refer to a gay man as a poof .They had a show at The Fringe called Poof too .If poof was still high in the offensive word charts that would have been cancelled quicker than Sadovich 

5 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Reckon the word “Poof” will come back into normal language at some point .I know it will still get used on occasion but I can’t remember the last time I heard anybody refer to a gay man as a poof .They had a show at The Fringe called Poof too .If poof was still high in the offensive word charts that would have been cancelled quicker than Sadovich 

It was literally used on here yesterday in that context.

There have also been allot of recent homophobic attacks where it's used when people are attacked violently.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It was literally used on here yesterday in that context.

There have also been allot of recent homophobic attacks where it's used when people are attacked violently.

I haven’t heard any .Even reading the word hear doesn’t mean heard .

When I was growing up in 80s poof was the chosen word of insult and was heard on a daily basis .It’s never used anymore 

9 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Who the fuck has time for this on a Monday morning?

Hate speech won't be tolerated on the forum, but tagging @admin won't do anything, that's probably @Bronzy's 1814909th burner account

Reporting the post is the best course of action and means it will get looked at by someone

What is considered hate speech?

Is it acceptable to call Jota a 'poof' etc or is this not to be tolerated?

I know it's a difficult subject, but it's all very well saying that "hate speech" won't be tolerated, but without knowing if language like 'bent cunt' etc is judged as this, or if as others suggest, it is not hate speech or homophobic it's kinda hard to say what is in limit and what isn't.

We see with racist language that when it's unacceptable, the admins will point this out.

I have yet to see similar advice on the homophobia topic, so it seems like I must be wrong and the language used on the forum does not break these rules.

5 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I haven’t heard any .Even reading the word hear doesn’t mean heard .

When I was growing up in 80s poof was the chosen word of insult and was heard on a daily basis .It’s never used anymore 

We have people on this thread saying they still use it and will continue to do so.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I know it's a difficult subject, but it's all very well saying that "hate speech" won't be tolerated, but without knowing if language like 'bent cunt' etc is judged as this, or if as others suggest, it is not hate speech or homophobic it's kinda hard to say what is in limit and what isn't.

We see with racist language that when it's unacceptable, the admins will point this out.

I have yet to see similar advice on the homophobia topic, so it seems like I must be wrong and the language used on the forum does not break these rules.

This is the point that you give it a rest, he’s already said.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Is it acceptable to call Jota a 'poof' etc or is this to be tolerated?

I think it acceptable to call anyone connected with them anything you want, it's a Rangers forum, all adults, so calm down and change your panties MM.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Don't think the 'older people don't know better' excuse holds any water when it comes to racism/homophobia etc.

My grandparents lived in a time where 'nigger brown' was a branded colour of wool, they wouldn't even dream of calling a black/brown person a 'nigger'.

Aye there’s a difference between an 80 year old saying the ‘p’ shop and outright going about like Nick Fuentes though.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I called it out here:

The very next post below it was yours, so you must have read this

I've hid plenty of homophobic posts. It's pretty clear and obvious what a homophobic term is, but the absolute truth of the matter is that I don't have time to sit in every single topic and monitor every single post. If posts get reported they'll get picked up

If someone posts bestiality in the Wrestling Thread, for example, I won't have a clue unless it's flagged to me because I don't click into it

2 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

I'll save you the trouble, someone asked what the rumour about Jota was in the other mob thread, I replied the rumour was that Jota was a poof and got caught with a Japanese teammate in the dressing room and the Saudis didn't want him anymore ( I realise this is made up bollocks btw) then mitremouldmaster screamed the place down that I was homophobic and probably involved in the holocaust during ww2 etc, which led him to start this thread, he also found it acceptable for him to call another poster a poof a while back but is now sorry about that so his conscious is clear about it now, that's about the jist of it, oh and he considers abusing the elderly ok as well.

I think the thread is more about the afters rather than the initial, you said a slur doesn’t meant you’re cutting about battering gay people as I said in this thread. I certainly didn’t handle my side of the argument the best way either.