Beale Sacked

Broxi

9 minutes ago, Fear no foe said:

Has any player apart from Cantwell actually said anything about his departure?

Probably a sign of how badly it’s gone. The players already here must be thinking what the fuck happened with recruitment, the guys brought in are probably thinking how the fuck did this squad make a Europa League final recently…

36 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Probably a sign of how badly it’s gone. The players already here must be thinking what the fuck happened with recruitment, the guys brought in are probably thinking how the fuck did this squad make a Europa League final recently…

It didn’t make a European final recently. We’ve lost a lot of the players from that squad 

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

For me it was clear as day we had a great player in Cantwell as the 10 behind two mobile forwards. Was really looking a great player and club talisman.

Since preseason (when we inexplicably signed Lammers and played him ahead of Cantwell) we’ve played him left and right of a midfield 3, or out on the wing (mostly on the left). He’s been shite this season, and that’s down to Beale’s mismanagement.

Even at their worst (and I wanted rid of both in the summer) Morelos and Kent are streets ahead of what we’ve signed.

Shocked you think Dessers is the only dud. 

I meant as in the only one who has been a total failure, and probably unrecoverable.

A better two than Dessers and Lammers and I don’t think we’d be where we are right now.

Even despite that, throw in a bit of luck if Danilo didn’t get injured and I think Beale might have been ok until the next break.

Wonder if we will get any stories leaking in the future about what went on behind the scenes?

Looking back on it now I am beginning to wonder if the board had reservations about his recruitment before the season had even started in earnest, when they saw the level of player he had brought in.

I know he liked to talk a lot but he was pretty specific in identifying a couple of positions he wanted to strengthen in the last few weeks of the window (replacement for Kent and defensive reinforcements in particular) and then the transfer chat pretty much dried up apart from a late loan bid for Souttar.

Could just be that we had blown the majority of the budget in Lammers, Danilo & Dessers and couldn’t find the right players with what we had left, but could also see the scenario that the board were looking at what he had already brought in and weren’t willing to trust him with any more cash.

8 hours ago, rossco87 said:

Wonder if we will get any stories leaking in the future about what went on behind the scenes?

Looking back on it now I am beginning to wonder if the board had reservations about his recruitment before the season had even started in earnest, when they saw the level of player he had brought in.

I know he liked to talk a lot but he was pretty specific in identifying a couple of positions he wanted to strengthen in the last few weeks of the window (replacement for Kent and defensive reinforcements in particular) and then the transfer chat pretty much dried up apart from a late loan bid for Souttar.

Could just be that we had blown the majority of the budget in Lammers, Danilo & Dessers and couldn’t find the right players with what we had left, but could also see the scenario that the board were looking at what he had already brought in and weren’t willing to trust him with any more cash.

Lets not pretend that the board gave Michael Beale a checkbook and told him off you go before asking him first game of the season so who did you buy then? The board should have a vision about the types of players we want to sign as well as signing off the likes of salaries. The board should have a long term plan and any manager coming in should be aware of that including transfer funds and wage structure.

1 hour ago, gj923 said:

Lets not pretend that the board gave Michael Beale a checkbook and told him off you go before asking him first game of the season so who did you buy then? The board should have a vision about the types of players we want to sign as well as signing off the likes of salaries. The board should have a long term plan and any manager coming in should be aware of that including transfer funds and wage structure.

Obviously the board are going to have an input on fees and contracts etc but at the moment we don’t have anyone on that board who has a background that would suggest they know anything more about judging a player than your average fan.

They probably were being kept abreast of targets & scouting and probably discussed the overall shape of the squad and who / which positions he was targeting, but all the reporting is saying Beale was leading that process, so if he has identified a player he wants then who on the board is really going to be able to argue with him on footballing ability?

1 hour ago, gj923 said:

Our board members have never been involved in any form of scouting/managing. Why on earth would they be relied on to set a footballing vision that a manager then had to produce. They pick who they think can deliver success (manager) and support them with the funds to meet part or all of that. 
it’s nonsense to think they have a say who comes other than sharing a wage structure 

Our most successful managers with the exception of Advocaat who had the advantage of a bottomless pit of money, have all come from Scottish Football and perhaps looking down south or overseas is part of the problem. Sir Walter and Big Eck proved what can be achieved with a knowledge of how to play in a league of cloggers. I would honestly look closer to home as they couldn't do any worse than some of the bags of shite appointed by our board over the last 10 years.