Nils Koppen appointed DOF

.Williamson.

Said as much in another thread yesterday.

Bisgrove said they were "2 or 3 weeks away from an announcement" when Clement was announced in mid October. No links or no noise since then. 

Very worrying with there only being a month until a very crucial transfer opening for us with needing numerous players in and out.

13 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Bisgrove said they were "2 or 3 weeks away from an announcement" when Clement was announced in mid October. No links or no noise since then. 

Very worrying with there only being a month until a very crucial transfer opening for us with needing numerous players in and out.

Aye, I don’t love the idea of leaving the transfer window up to the manager to sort out again 

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Aye, I don’t love the idea of leaving the transfer window up to the manager to sort out again 

Agreed. But I have far more faith in Clement delivering than I ever did in Beale. 

The board giving Beale full reign over recruitment was a fucking disaster in the making. A rookie manager with no tangible transfer management experience given the best part of 15 million to spend. How was that ever going to end well?

2 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Agreed. But I have far more faith in Clement delivering than I ever did in Beale. 

The board giving Beale full reign over recruitment was a fucking disaster in the making. A rookie manager with no tangible transfer management experience given the best part of 15 million to spend. How was that ever going to end well?

Did you say this at the time?

19 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

He spoke about it at the CEO event at the start of this month too: “we are moving to the final stages on this”. He was asked about timescales and said “there are variables in that, depending on the individuals that the board believes and Philippe feels has the best fit”. You would hope any candidate would be available before January because we need some long-term strategy to avoid another cock-up like this summer. 

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Especially when he has been very public in saying he doesn't like dealing with that side at all.

3 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Clement doesn't want to deal with agents or transfer dealings. We need someone in that's going to do that or we are going to end up with Bigrove and that finance guy with the terrible first name doing it themselves.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Did you say this at the time?

Nope, upon reflection. But it's not my job to run Rangers Football Club, but the fact the board - who are paid to do just that - didn't have any tangable reservations handing Beale full control is still of massive concern. 

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Especially when he has been very public in saying he doesn't like dealing with that side at all.

Clement doesn't want to deal with agents or transfer dealings. We need someone in that's going to do that or we are going to end up with Bigrove and that finance guy with the terrible first name doing it themselves.

Yeah I agree fully with that as well, he shouldn't need to deal with agents et al, there should absolutely be a foundation in place.

19 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Nope, upon reflection. But it's not my job to run Rangers Football Club, but the fact the board - who are paid to do just that - didn't have any tangable reservations handing Beale full control is still of massive concern. 

I think they didn’t have any other real option was probably the biggest issue.

Still don’t.

Have to hope PC has identified a couple of gems that fit into his system. 

35 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

From what's been said about the summer recruitment is that most if not all of the signings were shortlisted, put in place by Wilson and Beale then signed off by the board before Wilson left. Don't think there's a proper narrative of Beale having full control.

10 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

From what's been said about the summer recruitment is that most if not all of the signings were shortlisted, put in place by Wilson and Beale then signed off by the board before Wilson left. Don't think there's a proper narrative of Beale having full control.

Beale literally said he only signed off on them after looking them in the eyes and if you looked hard enough you would see a connection between him and the signings(aka did he play against them at under 15 level anytime in the last 15 years)

I know you like him more than most but he made it clear he was in charge plenty of times

There'll be next to fuck all budget for transfers in Jan, it'll be loans or pushing summer departures out 1/2 a season early.

Unless any new DOF has been working on stuff already then its probably too late to come in and have any meaningful impact in the coming window.

We can hope and demand otherwise but imo that's the reality of it. 

More likely the DOF himself will be our only arrival in Jan 😒

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Apart from anything else, Clement has a full time job getting more out of the existing squad.

Don’t want his attention diverted when so many are still underperforming.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There'll be next to fuck all budget for transfers in Jan, it'll be loans or pushing summer departures out 1/2 a season early.

Unless any new DOF has been working on stuff already then its probably too late to come in and have any meaningful impact in the coming window.

We can hope and demand otherwise but imo that's the reality of it. 

More likely the DOF himself will be our only arrival in Jan 😒

Spot on. From listening to folk on the inside in various articles / podcasts the majority of transfers these days start months before in the background as the deal structures can get very complicated.

Obviously there is still the possibility of something coming together quickly if all parties want it to (Bassey & Hagi’s transfer / loan come to mind).

Also given how much of a clusterfuck our transfers have been recently I don’t think it is a great suggestion to bring someone in and then effectively start making panic buys with less than a months work. We might see one or two in by the end of the window in a combination of stuff the scouting team we have have been looking at with input from a new DofF; but we need a sustained period of successful transfer windows to reshape the squad and I actually think keeping our powder dry in January and giving the new DofF time to work with Clement and plan (with potentially a little extra resource that we don’t spend) for the summer window might serve us better in the long term.