*****Manchester United v Rangers*****

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Left right away to attend a family wedding. That’s why Alex Rae did the post match interview.

What's wee Alex saying? Any news on Cantwell, Nsiala, Igamane?

3 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Just remember the 1980’s. From 80 onwards 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th and 5th in 85/6. Now that was a dog shit team and dog shit football.

It was but still won 4 trophies in that spell outwith the league whereas from 2015 only managed 3 including 1 title in 9 years. 🤷🏼‍♂️

42 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

It was but still won 4 trophies in that spell outwith the league whereas from 2015 only managed 3 including 1 title in 9 years. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Titles were shared then aswell between Aberdeen , Dundee utd and Celtic so not like the constant Celtic sweeping everything up we have had last few years 

35 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

If true I hope koppen and Clement have a goal scoring midfielder lined up ready to go. 

I hope we have a goal scoring midfielder lined up ready to go, no matter what happens with Cantwell. He, sure as hell, ain’t a goal scoring midfielder.

8 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

Titles were shared then aswell between Aberdeen , Dundee utd and Celtic so not like the constant Celtic sweeping everything up we have had last few years 

Correct, it took the derry of it to an extent whereas when you look at the cold hard facts of the last spell they are horrific.

1 hour ago, WilliamMunny said:

Badly need starters for CBx2, CM, AM, RW, ST as a minimum, and it all depends on who we offload. Even then our squad / back up players just aren't good enough either.

Think we can get by without the CBs if we bring in quality forward options. 

Again yesterday showed we can't play 4231 when the forward 4 aren't fast, dynamic and aggressive enough to regularly get success from a high press. They get bypassed far too easily, then our midfield 2 is overrun and cut through pretty easily.

I'm not against 4231, just not with Dessers leading it and Lawrence part of it. It needs changed and unless the personel changes we probably need to bolster the core midfield at the expense of the cam/10.

16 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Again yesterday showed we can't play 4231 when the forward 4 aren't fast, dynamic and aggressive enough to regularly get success from a high press. They get bypassed far too easily, then our midfield 2 is overrun and cut through pretty easily.

I'm not against 4231, just not with Dessers leading it and Lawrence part of it. It needs changed and unless the personel changes we probably need to bolster the core midfield at the expense of the cam/10.

It’s also this type of 4231 where either one of the centre halves or what was Lundstram and is now Barron repeatedly hit long balls to the wings and don’t really try to play through the midfield.

We play a number 10 but it’s not a playmaking number 10 where we’re looking to get them on the ball. We don’t really look to keep possession against the better teams so they spend most of the game just chasing shadows.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s also this type of 4231 where either one of the centre halves or what was Lundstram and is now Barron repeatedly hit long balls to the wings and don’t really try to play through the midfield.

We play a number 10 but it’s not a playmaking number 10 where we’re looking to get them on the ball. We don’t really look to keep possession against the better teams so they spend most of the game just chasing shadows.

Agree completely.

I don’t think Clement wants a number ten who’s going to drop off, get in the half spaces and look to receive the ball on the half turn, if he did then Cantwell would be a player he would building his team around because that’s what he’s best at.

Based on what we have seen so far. I think he wants somebody who’s going to look get close to the centre forward and look to win second balls and arrive late in the box to get on the end of crosses and cut backs - a Tim Cahill type if you want to use a player as an example -  as opposed to a more technical, flair player.

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Agree completely.

I don’t think Clement wants a number ten who’s going to drop off, get in the half spaces and look to receive the ball on the half turn, if he did then Cantwell would be a player he would building his team around because that’s what he’s best at.

Based on what we have seen so far. I think he wants somebody who’s going to look get close to the centre forward and look to win second balls and arrive late in the box to get on the end of crosses and cut backs - a Tim Cahill type if you want to use a player as an example -  as opposed to a more technical, flair player.

Cahill is a great shout for the type of 10 he’s looking for. That’s exactly what he’s wanting.

I don’t love that approach to football personally, don’t get me wrong I’ll take it all day if we’re successful with it, but it’s a hard watch when we’re toiling.

16 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Nah that can’t be the narrative. We have been fucking woeful in possession.

Clement either needs better players to bail him out of this chronic way we’re set up or he needs to reconsider his approach, particularly this 10/second striker role which just isn’t working.

I agree . There's something wrong somewhere .

48 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think the 4-2-3-1 is a huge part of our problems in the way we use it. In recent past our full backs were supported/protected by a midfield 3 with 1 holding midfielder. Last season we had 2 holding mostly centrally and not terribly well and a 3 who seem unwilling/confused or unable to work back to help when needed. The number of goals we lost last season where our 2 central defenders were left distant and exposed to a long ball over the top was embarrassing.