Early 80s fear

23 hours ago, King Jela said:

We still won trophies in the 80's. 

We've mostly been a shambles since coming back up, barring the Gerrard years. 

Don't see when it ends tbh.

Interesting point about Gerrard. What a signing he truly was, he would inspire players to come to us, but he decided to walk, and with that our decline began. Our European resurgence began with him. Whatever he brought caught on. But domestically I don't know what happened.

22 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

Interesting point about Gerrard. What a signing he truly was, he would inspire players to come to us, but he decided to walk, and with that our decline began. Our European resurgence began with him. Whatever he brought caught on. But domestically I don't know what happened.

Yup, don't think it's any coincidence the decline started and was as rapid after he left. Felt like everything went through him. It was our only real period of stability. 

Wouldn't have him back btw, but I do appreciate the job he did more in terms of that stable period. 

1 hour ago, Lovenkraaands said:

I think attitude is a reference to application.

I did see several players name him when asked who the funniest player in the squad was, but if I was him, I’d be drawing as little humour to myself as possible, given the performances.

I think that’s a modern day issue in football though. We, the fans, would crawl over broken glass to get on the bench while some players are entirely unaffected by being serial losers.

I think being funny and cheery can play an important part in keeping squad morale up and that seems to fit in with Matondo , but I think you're right in that you've got to earn that right the way McCoist and Durrant did . 

22 minutes ago, blueballss said:

Some great day/ nights early 80s, loved going away etc as a youngster, certainly an eye opener🤣

Loved them , even though success wise it was very limited . The Football Specials , the carry out on the Supporters buses  . Even the fact , apart from Aberdeen and c....c ,  you just turned up and paid your money to get in . Superb days . 

On 26/07/2024 at 12:14, blueballss said:

Some great day/ nights early 80s, loved going away etc as a youngster, certainly an eye opener🤣

Me too, every stadium we went to bears end packing sadly not the same at Ibrox.

But what an adventure buses full everyone getting tickets, was the only nights I was allowed out after 9pm.

Magic but hard times which I think are already upon us.

28 minutes ago, Blacky Bear said:

Me too, every stadium we went to bears end packing sadly not the same at Ibrox.

But what an adventure buses full everyone getting tickets, was the only nights I was allowed out after 9pm.

Magic but hard times which I think are already upon us.

Understand the sentiment but I think we’re miles from the 80s. 

We’re not going finish in 4th or 5th place and can pay significantly more wages than everyone else in the league bar them. Arguably, we’ve been paying on par just squandering cash. 

The difference now is the CL money and perversely us over performing in Europe and then bottling under domestic pressure is what’s given celtic the advantage - we’ve kept them rich after coming back up.

I agree that everything feels negative at the moment but getting rid of years of poor player management decisions was never going to happen overnight. I think we’re far from the early 80s - would take Davie Cooper in this team mind you!

On 25/07/2024 at 09:20, Blacky Bear said:

Getting the fear.

My 1st real Rangers memory was from around 78/79 when my granda started taking me.

But never forget early 80s with stadium under construction then mostly empty only picking up the odd cup here and there more so league cup.

It's like a childhood nightmare returning.

Started going start of the premier league old first division this has memories as well all not good, 14000 at league games etc.

The difference between then and now is there were a number of teams who could win the league and lift trophies on a regular basis. Now, there's only ever 2 team who can win the league and it takes a joint calamity for one of the OF not to win the cups.

I hate putting that lot on a pedestal but our problem is celtic. The fact they are our only rivals and they have dominated Scottish football for over 10 years now looking like it'll be going into 15 years piles more pressure on us, the players, management and board.

On 26/07/2024 at 10:31, Lovenkraaands said:

I think attitude is a reference to application.

I did see several players name him when asked who the funniest player in the squad was, but if I was him, I’d be drawing as little humour to myself as possible, given the performances.

I think that’s a modern day issue in football though. We, the fans, would crawl over broken glass to get on the bench while some players are entirely unaffected by being serial losers.

You’ve got absolutely no idea how much losing a game affects or doesn’t affect him or any other player really.

On 26/07/2024 at 12:14, blueballss said:

Best days of my life, first game In 77.was the envy of every cunt in my primary school cos ma da took me every week, and most away grounds, first European night was dukla Prague at home in the enclosure.,right next to the tunnel.could here the players studs crunch on the red ash track as they came out, still sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it. The atmosphere was fuckin brilliant in the enclosure. And brutal towards those who were playing shite as well.players get it far easier now.maybe that's the problem. Society has changed.

No Surrender 

Rab 

On 25/07/2024 at 10:19, B1872 said:

We don’t have the transfer budget to compete? We’ve literally had similar if not paid more in player wages the last 3 years. We’ve just been totally mismanaged - that’s why we are in the state we are in!

Pretty sure last season we paid more on wages. And with transfers, I don't think they have been throwing down sums like 10 million on players.

An example is Hearts in the first game, look at their transfer dealing against ours. They signed Spittal, Penrice, and I think the other boy was called Johnson, every one of them would have improved our team. We signed Igamane that must be the first professional football that isn't injured but still isn't fit to play a game. We signed Cortes who spent most of last season injured, and will probably spend this season doing the same. We signed a right winger in Cerny, again another player not fit enough to play a full game at the start of the season. We signed Proper, and for some reason, he wasn't able to make the team and play, while we saw Hearts with a player they signed that morning on their bench.

The money we spent on Igamane could have been used to sign those 3 Hearts boys and would have covered most if not all of their wages. The fact that a professional athlete has poor general fitness should have been a red flag on signing him.

7 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Hearts had a boy, pretty sure he was from Crystal Palace on the bench.

Just had a look and you’re right. The boy Boateng.

How did we sign Propper on the Thursday, but he wasn’t available on the Saturday while they signed a boy on the Saturday who was available to be involved that very day? Something to do with Propper being a non-UK national, I assume?