Clement Signs New Contract

The most likely scenario here is that we keep talking about long term prospects with resale value and not just buying here and now players with no resale value.  It wouldn't surprise me if Clement felt like the board may bail on him and fire him if things get off to a rocky start.  Perhaps he has asked for them to show him the same long term commitment they are asking him to buy into with regards our players.   

On Clement - whilst I agree that his tactics seem disjointed at times and a little gung ho - I think many forget how much he turned us around when he initially came in - we were in absolute free fall in that moment.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new contract has a release fee of a pound on any day ending in a Y, but a full pay-off if sacked.

Also that if Davies isn't sold and replaced by the end of the transfer window, that he's allowed to put him in a Wicker Man.

41 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I agree but I think if they get rid of him this season after this their position will be untenable.

Their position is already untenable, they are a shambles. No stadium, no CEO, legal cases galore, 4 managers in 4 years, squad fucked. 

They are a bit SNP like in that folk will support the cause regardless (not that we shouldn’t or anything), but it means there’s no accountability.

Hitting them / the club in the pocket is where it hurts, but not many (me included) really willing to do it. 

2 hours ago, superallysbears said:

Happy to have the big man, it's emperative we start the season better than the last few.

I think you’re in for a big disappointment 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Their position is already untenable, they are a shambles. No stadium, no CEO, legal cases galore, 4 managers in 4 years, squad fucked. 

They are a bit SNP like in that folk will support the cause regardless (not that we shouldn’t or anything), but it means there’s no accountability.

Hitting them / the club in the pocket is where it hurts, but not many (me included) really willing to do it. 

They're a shambles but clearly it's not untenable just now.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s difficult to hit our club financially as we already have 46k season ticket holders. There’s not a big dent to be made apart from cups. Corporate is never going to comply because it will hit their businesses too. 

I am 100% not for financially hurting our club.  I do however think if all our season ticket holders didn’t attend one game that might focus their minds but not financially hurt us. Empty stadium might cause some discussion 

Nobody will organise it though and we’re all too loyal and true with our club. 

It might seem a bit strange but perhaps its Clement wanting to prove here to stay? So dunno really, what I do know is, he still needs to deliver trophies and create a structure for the club to grow and get this era to fuck. Who knows, in a decade we might look back and think how visionary this current board were. Don't laugh there at the back. But yeah, hopefully it's the start of the next era. Or something.

I am still not convinced by him and I can only think the board are changing tact and are trying to introduce stability instead of a knee-jerk reaction like sacking the manager after a few bad results.

However, I fear all this will achieve is a bigger compo package when he is ushered out the door

He, and anyone else, is handcuffed by lack of funds and a poorly run club - its not his fault but the odds are stacked against him and he must have demanded the re-assurance of a long contract or threatened to leave

18 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Completely and utterly behind Clement, I can't understand a lot of the negativity for this or the defeatist shite in match threads, I'm willing to go long term and accept a bit of pain for longer glory, he's fell in love with the club, get behind him ffs.

Easier said than done. It’s fucking hard, mate.:lol:

I think he (sensibly) saw the issues he’s had with recruitment over the window, no doubt the budget impacted by the stadium delay shambles, and pushed for a bit of assurance from the board that they’re backing him long term too.  

he looks a man not to shy away from a challenge and he fairly worked up some good results from an absolute shite squad last season.  Not expecting us to be brilliant following this window but trust he’ll turn it round if given the time and resources (circling back to first point above).